Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Yeah, let's definitely hope he's not found the stash of "pasta" over there.

Interesting, too, that he chose to wear #1, despite not winning last year. I know that his teammate did, who isn't here, I believe, but still not quite the tradition.

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
"Iban Mayo is flying up the mountain on the big ring!!"

Man, that guy can fly up the hill like no other. It looks so effortless.

Great job for Valverde as well. Leipheimer is one cool cat. He just spun up the hill behind Piepoli and pretty much locked up the Dauphne!

francois

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
I think...

Argentius said:
Yeah, good stuff.

Did anyone see the interview with Moreau at the end? I only know a few words of French, but, wow, can that man talk! that took as long as the stage, I think.
One stage win, and a good placing the day before, a comeback does not make, especially for Mayo who, even according to him, has sort of disappeared for a couple of years with no wins. Was it post Tour 2004 when he sort of ran into a streak of bad luck? Crashed on the cobbles during that Tour, abandoned later on before the race even hit the Pyranees, and things like that.

I'm glad though, and happy to see him ride very well the last couple of days. But remember, lots of things can happen between now and the first of July when the Tour starts. Good rides by Mr. Mayo the last couple of days, but I'm waiting to see more consistent performances from him before declaring him officially "back".

What I do find interesting is that some of the so called contenders are flailing right now on the hills of the Dauphine. Floyd especially. Could this be because he had such ripping form earlier this year? Can he finish the Dauphine, recover, train, and come back to the Tour in really good form to challenge? If he were flailing back at Paris-Nice, I wouldn't be near as concerned, of course, as I even mentioned before, there is still a little bit of time to get back into top notch form before le Tour, but normally, the Dauphine and Suisse, are the 2 stage races that the contenders go to before the Tour to flex their muscle, and show possibly other contenders that they ain't messing around. A "test" so to speak, and I know some folks hate that terminology, but that's what it is. Floyd unfortunately, has failed his Dauphine test, miserably. Leipheimer looks good. George has looked good. Acevedo has looked good. Mayo has looked good, the last couple of days at least.

I'm starting to think, it's going to be interesting for sure. We'll see how Jan and others roll at the Tour de Suisse.

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
magnolialover said:
One stage win, and a good placing the day before, a comeback does not make, especially for Mayo who, even according to him, has sort of disappeared for a couple of years with no wins. Was it post Tour 2004 when he sort of ran into a streak of bad luck? Crashed on the cobbles during that Tour, abandoned later on before the race even hit the Pyranees, and things like that.
In the Dauphne, one's TDF stock goes up or down.

Mayo and Levi's stock are way up. It's nice to see Mayo find his form and confidence. He's come from nowhere and you can see his strength and confidence build up through the days.

Levi is just displaying controlled fury. He has been training here in Northern California doing small races over the last two months. It is nice to see him measure himself against the best and just relaxxx.

Hincapie... purdy good. He'll be 15 minutes behind the TDF GC. Top 10 finish would be great.

Landis... lots of questions... no answers.

Team Discovery is a mess I think. They go from top TDF dog to headless chicken. I don't think their build-up to the TDF this year could have gone any worse.

francois

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
Mayo was racing good in the Wallon classics, not a contender but definitley at the forefront of things. He looked capable and very eager yesterday and it's good to see him have the confidence of going for the kill in today's stage. He'll be no TdF CG contender but he is probably good for a stage or two, maybe even the Mailloit à Pois. :)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Mayo had mono at some point too. Riders at that level are used to springing back from illness and injury, but that is one illness that puts you down for a while or at least seems to affect your consistency. Cunego has shown signs of his old self from time to time in the last year too, but he's certainly not the rider he was in 2004.

Hopefully both of them can rebound fully.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
i agree...

euro-trash said:
Mayo had mono at some point too. Riders at that level are used to springing back from illness and injury, but that is one illness that puts you down for a while or at least seems to affect your consistency. Cunego has shown signs of his old self from time to time in the last year too, but he's certainly not the rider he was in 2004.

Hopefully both of them can rebound fully.
Things are more interesting with a good and strong Mayo, and a good and strong Cunego. Both showed tons of promise in the past, and like you said, are showing signs of stirring again now.

I had Landis' stock way up a couple of weeks ago, and now... Don't know. Things can happen between now and when the poop hits the fan for the Tour in a few weeks, but it's not looking so good for our former farmer boy these days.

We'll see though.

·
funct
259 Posts
Reading his post-win interviews I felt some real affection for Mayo that I never had before. He's had some tough luck, but even he seems to realize that stuff makes a man. He sounded ... real. Like he's a better bloke than he may have been before.
I don't expect him to challenge for GC this Tour, but damn I'm happy he's managed to taste some sweets again. Confidence grows, and his timing's gooood.
A little bit of Diablo/Elefantino style climbing from him would shake this Tour up very nicely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.