Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these considered wide or narrow?? I've seen both opinions posted. Some say narrower than sidi, some say much wider. Which is it? I'm thinking specifically of the Flash or Kyoma model.
Also, where is the best deal online for these??

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
swithed to dmt ultimax 2 years ago after 15 years with sidis. the dmt run a bit wider and also half to full size larger than sidi. dmt quality and carbon sole are outstanding. I wore 43 in sidi, 42.5 in dmt. got mine from wisecyclebuys.com.

·
Banned
936 Posts
Agree. .

Fignon's Barber said:
the dmt run a bit wider and also half to full size larger than sidi. dmt quality and carbon sole are outstanding.

Sidis were too narrow for my feet, Carnacs too wide. .DMT perfect!!! It's the ONLY shoe I'll buy from this point forward.

:)

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
Tino Chiappelli said:
DMT shoes have 2 different last models that they follow. The RSX version is the narrower one (this is @ the same as the standard width Sidi's) and the Kyoma/Flash last which is slightly wider.

Ditto on Fignon's Barber's comment on the length.

Here's a good article on the newest DMT road shoe the Spirit...
http://pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=3793
I don't remember what model I tried (about 2 years ago) but those DMTs were narrower than Sidis... I normally wear Sidis. If they are same or wider that's good news as I want to try one out.

·
pack fodder
442 Posts
I own the Flash, have owned the Kyoma, and still own some 3+ yrs old Sidi Genius 4's as my backup pair.

To my feet, DMTs are snugger in the heel cup area than Sidi but are a little wider in the forefoot/toe area. Between the two DMT models, Kyomas seem to fit a little narrower in the forefoot than the Flash. If you have narrow feet, the buckle on the Flash may bottom out, whereas you can crank the top velcro strap down on the Kyoma as tight as you need.

DMT makes an awesome shoe!

·
Registered
45 Posts
My experience with DMTs

I have had a pair of DMT Ultimax RSX shoes for about a month.
They're fine shoes, not unlike Sidis, though my experience is that the ventilating mesh of the DMTs does a much better job than what is used on Sidis.
I was advised that they fit like Sidis. That was good advice. My 47 DMTs fit very much like the 47 Sidi Genius 4s I had previously.
The Kyoma design fits differently; they're built on a different last.
In the Kyomas (and Flash) a 46 fits me well.

Nice shoes and boy are they white!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm also deciding between the Flash and Kyoma. Any real advantages and/or disadvantages of ratchet over velcro?

I assume it's easier to fine-tune the fit with velcro especially on the fly.

Thanks.
:cool:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Lt. said:
I'm also deciding between the Flash and Kyoma. Any real advantages and/or disadvantages of ratchet over velcro?

I assume it's easier to fine-tune the fit with velcro especially on the fly.

Thanks.

Oh, the old Buckle vs Velcro question... :D

From a user standpoint, it really is subjective as to which you prefer. For me, I don't need to racthet the closure on my shoes as tight as others might, so I prefer velcro closures. For others however, velcro just isn't secure enough.

In regards to the Kyoma & the Flash however, while these shoes are essentially the same shoe, just with different closures, they do fit differently (in the ankle/heel/top f the foot areas). The buckle system on the Flash pulls the heel into the heel-cup tighter thant he velcro on the Kyoma does & it (the buckle) also causes the shoes to feel differently on the top of the foot.

I've used both shoes & closures aside, I prefer the fit of the Kyoma. You really should try on both shoes though.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just picked-up a pair of Kyomas sight unseen since I have a pair of DMT R3's and figure the size should be the same. The Kyoma is a bit narrower in the forefoot, othewise its a great fit.

Just wondering, any difference between the 2005 and 2006 model? My R3 in white is a synthetic leather, which I like. The Kyoma has a shiny patent leather look.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, so for someone with a flatish foot, narrow heel but wide mid-foot, are these a bad choice? Sidi Genius Mega's are too wide in the heel for me, and the extra width is just more leather, not an actual larger last, so the leather tightens in on my outer midfoot causing pain, which is the case with most shoes...

·
Registered
67 Posts
OK, so for someone with a flatish foot, narrow heel but wide mid-foot, are these a bad choice? Sidi Genius Mega's are too wide in the heel for me, and the extra width is just more leather, not an actual larger last, so the leather tightens in on my outer midfoot causing pain, which is the case with most shoes...
I think that I may have very similar feet to yours. I've found that most shoes out there just don't fit... if I can get enough room in the toebox then my heel is slipping. I just picked up a pair of DMT flash and absolutely love them. Just the right amount of room in the toebox and no heel slip. I recommend that you at least give them a shot. You may also want to try Northwave as they have always been a very good fit for my feet.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AMP said:
I think that I may have very similar feet to yours. I've found that most shoes out there just don't fit... if I can get enough room in the toebox then my heel is slipping. I just picked up a pair of DMT flash and absolutely love them. Just the right amount of room in the toebox and no heel slip. I recommend that you at least give them a shot. You may also want to try Northwave as they have always been a very good fit for my feet.
Thanks, yeah, we probably have similar feet. I too find that Northwave works a bit better than some of the other shoes out there. Carnacs, for example, feel so bad that at first I thought I had them on the wrong feet (left vs right)!

Anyway, 11speed.com has the DMT Flash for $250, so I took the plunge and ordered a pair of white 45's. I figure worst case they don't work and I sell them for a loss on ebay...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Good call Satch

My toes and feet have bee so happy since, I got a pair the Ultimax in 2004 - awesome fit - snug heel and wider toebox. Soles are bulletproof for me. Last fall got a pair of silver Kyomas with the velcro straps - they are a bit narrower in the toe box - but the 44.5 is still the ticket. Great shoes. Durable. And the Kyoma is oh so light.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Confession Time

I admit it, I am a Specialized freak. Everytime I go shopping for cycling stuff, I usually come back with a big red S on it. Tell me about DMT shoes....I saw a pair of carbon sole shoes on line for about $160. The features on these would be a $200 shoe with a red S.:)

·
Where Are We Eating?
129 Posts
Same with me. Ever try on women's cycling shoes? They all seem to fit much better than mens. Narrower heals. Just try to find a pair in a unisex color...that's the hard part.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
endo verendo said:
Same with me. Ever try on women's cycling shoes? They all seem to fit much better than mens. Narrower heals. Just try to find a pair in a unisex color...that's the hard part.

My main problem is the width of my midfoot. If I am standing barefoot and look down at my feet, its like the muscle on the side of my midfoot spreads out into a cemi circle, wide. This is what seems to get pinched by most shoes I try.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Just to add more too this thread....

I bought a pair of DMT MAG shoes on notion that they are rommier/wider in the toe box than the SIDI Genius 5. Well after a few hundred miles I can say NO WAY! These have caused an awful pain in my right big toe as the SIDU did. I switched to Shimnao and I fell fine now.

Otherwise thisa is the best fitting/comfortable shoe I have ever used!
But they are off to flea bay in the next day or so as I cannot use them.

DO NOT buy shoes unless you try them first! :mad2:

·
Registered
296 Posts
For you Northwave lovers--I am one, too: Northwave 42.5 is perfect. It seems like they're harder to find these days. Performance/Nashbar has dropped them. No on in my area stocks them. Are they not selling well in the U.S? Any good suppliers around?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts