Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Good news everyone!
5,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am torn on what I want to do in regards to my weights. I'm getting to the point where I need a set of dumbbells for weight lifting and strength training, and there are a few options I guess. One is to just buy an expensive set of adjustables. It's nice because you can get ones from 2.5 - 120 pounds and just have one set for everything. The downside is that in the smaller weight ranges, like 10-15 pounds the things are just flat out bulky. The other option is to get a set of small adjustables, say one that runs from 2-25 pounds, and then purchase separate dumbbells for the heavier weights, say 30-75 pounds, or larger if the need arises. I actually think that's the cheapest and easiest route, and the one recommended by the guy at the fitness store. What are you guys using? Are the adjustables even worth it?

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Adjustable weights suck... Forget to click the weight in correctly and have a plate slam your toe and you'll see why.

I thought they were pretty cool initially but after playing with a set in Dicks Sporting Goods I will never own a set.. but that's just me..

·
Registered
792 Posts
Yeah, when I was into P90x pretty hard I looked all over for decent adjustable weights. They don't really exist. I went with the basic bar/weights combo. Takes up room, doesn't change easily, but is about 1/4 the price.
From what I learned Powerblocks were really the only way to go.

·
Good news everyone!
5,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rubbersoul said:
Powerblocks are amazing. High quality, very easy changing of weight. Not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for.

Definitely not the cheapest, but considering a full set of dumbbells can easily run you a grand probably not the worst deal either. My only concern is their overall bulk when in the lighter modes.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Jim311 said:
Definitely not the cheapest, but considering a full set of dumbbells can easily run you a grand probably not the worst deal either. My only concern is their overall bulk when in the lighter modes.

I have a set and they are fantastic even just using the core handle section (5 lbs). Never been an issue with any exercise. If you can afford them, its an excellent purchase.
________
Colorado Medical Marijuana Dispensary

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I was using a variety of light dumbells over the winter and into the spring and then my wife's coach recommended we simply get a chin up bar and do chinups/pull ups and some pushups for upperbody work...

I think this has worked out much better then the former plan considering we are both focused on cycling and not bodybuilding/sculpting...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Rider5200 said:
Ditto on Powerblocks. Get the stand, too -- your back will thank you later.
I actually work at a specialty fitness store, we sell a ton of powerblocks (probably more than dumbbells). They have a 15 year warranty, and with dumbbells being 0.80-1.50+ per pound, you will normally save 50% or better over a comparable range dumbbell set.

Plus, they have a 15 year warranty and are way more bombproof compared to the knockoffs. (which are about the same price).

-Physiojoe

·
Good news everyone!
5,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sentinel54 said:
+1 for Powerblocks. I have the 5-90 set and couldn't be happier. They are very pricey as others have stated but completely worth the money.

I was thinking the 5-50 pound ones. I am just not sure at this point in time I would have use for anything larger than 50 pounds. I think I can always upgrade at a later date as well right?

·
Registered
122 Posts
rbart4506 said:
I was using a variety of light dumbells over the winter and into the spring and then my wife's coach recommended we simply get a chin up bar and do chinups/pull ups and some pushups for upperbody work...

I think this has worked out much better then the former plan considering we are both focused on cycling and not bodybuilding/sculpting...
You can do all sorts of things with that pull up bar they sell in the AS SEEN ON TV sections/stores and you can certainly exercises with nothing... i.e. push ups. This site has lots of interesting exercises with lots of different equipment.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Personally for me Gold's Gym has all the dumbbells I need... in addition to other stuff.

Edit: forgot to paste in the link

·
Registered
477 Posts
xeon said:
You can do all sorts of things with that pull up bar they sell in the AS SEEN ON TV sections/stores and you can certainly exercises with nothing... i.e. push ups. This site has lots of interesting exercises with lots of different equipment.

Personally for me Gold's Gym has all the dumbbells I need... in addition to other stuff.
This. The local Y will have all the weights you could ever need, a pool, and cardio equipment should you decide to torture yourself with an elliptical or treadmill during the winter months.

I have a cheap set of dumbbells and a pull-up bar and you can do all kinds of things with that but I prefer a real gym.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.