Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in writing for a magazine. I would prefer a bike magazine but I've never actually published anything and was possibly kicking the idea around of doing some freelance stuff or writing a little bit for a local paper to get my feet wet and see if I like it, and maybe make a few extra bucks on the side. Is this realistic at all, and if so, how do I go about making it a reality?

·
waterproof*
41,610 Posts
1) go to their website and read their submissions policy
2) email the appropriate editor with your story idea and any proof of competency you can supply
3) repeat, for the other magazines.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Creakyknees said:
1) go to their website and read their submissions policy
2) email the appropriate editor with your story idea and any proof of competency you can supply
3) repeat, for the other magazines.

Is that basically how all freelance writers do it? I'm ok with steps 1 and 3.

But step 2 may be difficult considering my complete lack of competence.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
i have had some articles published. the trick is to contact them first and see what they are looking for and then submit your article.

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
I think websites are in need of content, this may be a better way to get some of your stuff "published" and build your portfolio from there. I think writing a blog may work two. There are a couple of regulars here who do an awesome job.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
I write a standing column for the Appaloosa Journal. But I got that gig because my step-daughter is the editor and she has some incriminating evidence from Facebook that she is threatening to show My Lovely Wife if I don't keep submitting them.

I hate social networking.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Henry Chinaski said:
Start a regular blog. That will give you something to point to. But magazines are dying a slow painful death, and don't really pay anyway.

Oh no, a BLOG?

I guess my riding life is interesting enough to merit one. How do I got about starting one of them thangs?

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Jim311 said:
Oh no, a BLOG?

I guess my riding life is interesting enough to merit one. How do I got about starting one of them thangs?
Go create an account at Blogspot.com

Take a look at mine (in my sig) for reference.

Wordpress is better but you have to pay to customize.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Dear Penthouse Forum,

I never thought I'd ever be writing to you. I'm a student at a large midwestern university. The other night...

Oh wait, you said FOR a magazine, not TO.

Never mind.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
so you like being poor?

AOL has their new patch sites or whatever. if they are near you, try them. my wife has had several of their editors contacting her.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tomk96 said:
so you like being poor?

AOL has their new patch sites or whatever. if they are near you, try them. my wife has had several of their editors contacting her.

I won't be quitting my day job :)

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
Jim311 said:

But step 2 may be difficult considering my complete lack of competence.

That's how freelance writers working on spec do it.

Established freelance writers are sometimes asked to write things, but you need a reputation for that to happen. Some really busy ones have agents who drum up the work for them.

But to get started, it really is as simple as those three steps. Well, that plus a tough skin to deal with the rejections, of which there will be many.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Jim311 said:
I am interested in writing for a magazine. I would prefer a bike magazine but I've never actually published anything and was possibly kicking the idea around of doing some freelance stuff or writing a little bit for a local paper to get my feet wet and see if I like it, and maybe make a few extra bucks on the side. Is this realistic at all, and if so, how do I go about making it a reality?

All of the advice above is good. But, the only successful free lance writer I know is someone who has networked with every editor/writer/warm body in town. She worked for a small magazine several years ago and got to know these people when they were colleagues. She also is not too proud to do articles on crazy stuff that her contacts tell her to write about.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I should clarify that my interest is not really financial. I think it would be fun to write and have a few articles published here and there, but it is NOT my ultimate goal to have that be my full time job. If anything the supplemental cash would be nice, but I don't expect there's a whole bunch of money to be had in writing.

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
My father and his wife do some freelance work for magazines. That being said, they are both retired and only do this to keep themselves busy. My father is a retired newspaper editor and has a specialty subject that he wrote about for 30 years before retiring. My dad's wife was a book editor and is pretty well known in a specific field of health and wellness books. So there reputation and body of work helps them to sell there stories. They don't make much doing this, but it keeps them busy.

You need to develop a body of work and or reputation that you can market. That's why I suggested a Blog.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Jim311 said:
Pretty much, until they strike up relationships with particular editors.

Be prepared to hustle your ass off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts