Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
All natural
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new Specialized Roubaix Comp (LOVE IT) and found that the wheels are Shimano WH-R560 instead of the Alex ALX 298R as described on the Specialized web site. Are these comparable? Thanks. (newby)

·
What up, dog?
473 Posts
Yes they do. I had some wheels swapped out once from the bike I ordered (basically a "sweeten the deal" thing) - Ritchey wheels in trade for Ksyrium Eilites, and again was offered K Elites instead of Velomax Circuits. I kept the Velomax wheels that time.

I've seen parts swaps a number of times (both up and down), but it usually ends up being adjusted in the price, so the playing field is still fair.

Long story short, I see no problem with that practice as long as they don't advertise the bikes as something they're not.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Be glad they did. Those Alex wheels suck. (They came with my Roubaix and I replaced them with Open Pros.)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
BobH said:
I bought a new Specialized Roubaix Comp (LOVE IT) and found that the wheels are Shimano WH-R560 instead of the Alex ALX 298R as described on the Specialized web site. Are these comparable? Thanks. (newby)
The Shimano are better then the Alex. You got a better deal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought my Felt new (last years model, though) and it had a non-original saddle. There was something else that was non-standard (but an upgrade) which I thought was interesting, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. The LBS swapped out the tires for some kevlar lined jobs, and I wondered what they were going to do with the originals. Never did find out.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Dick Seacup said:
The LBS swapped out the tires for some kevlar lined jobs, and I wondered what they were going to do with the originals. Never did find out.
They sold them, probably for less than retail. The shop gets to sell two sets of tires when they only bought one set, you got an upgrade, and whoever bought your bikes OEM tires got a good deal. Everybody's happy.

--Shannon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.