Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honey Stinger is one of the few gels I can actually swallow, but I still hate dealing with the packaging. Do they not sell the large size bottles like Hammer Gel do? I just use one of the hammer gel flasks and fill them up and it's a lot easier.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Make your own. Look at the ingredients and make enough to last for a ride, the potassium citrate is a preservative so you won't need that as you will make it fresh for each ride. Honey. malto, b vits (easy to find as a liquid, even Walmart has it) use mortons lo salt for Na and K and take or leave the calcium. A sachet has 29 g of carb, so use that as your guideline, add na and K to taste, maltodextrin is cheap as chips (web or brew store or muscle shop) but it really is a dextrose so you could just add dextrose, AKA glucose, aka Karo syrup (karo is just glucsoe and has no HFCS but off brands will). You shoul dbe able to get four servings in a hammer gel flask. I would not make up a honey and water mix too far in advance because of preservation issues.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Make your own. Look at the ingredients and make enough to last for a ride, the potassium citrate is a preservative so you won't need that as you will make it fresh for each ride. Honey. malto, b vits (easy to find as a liquid, even Walmart has it) use mortons lo salt for Na and K and take or leave the calcium. A sachet has 29 g of carb, so use that as your guideline, add na and K to taste, maltodextrin is cheap as chips (web or brew store or muscle shop) but it really is a dextrose so you could just add dextrose, AKA glucose, aka Karo syrup (karo is just glucsoe and has no HFCS but off brands will). You shoul dbe able to get four servings in a hammer gel flask. I would not make up a honey and water mix too far in advance because of preservation issues.

Why not use honey? I keep honey in my cabinet for a long time and don't seem to have problems with ti staying okay.

·
Registered
940 Posts
The honey is fine, it is adding the water that gets you into preservation issues, The stingers have enough water in them to make them liquid, one assumes, and to allow the mixing in of electrolytes etc. People drink neat honey instead of a gu, I am sure. It would not work for me but it might for you. You can get honey is squeeze bottles in the store. I don't know that you would be able to incorporate any electrolytes etc but you can get those in other ways. They don't look like they have much in them anyway. All the gels are overpiced marketing fabulousness. Look at the ingredients sheet and DIY. I don't like fructose as upsets my stomach now, so I just use maltodextrin. But you can really make and tweak whatever you like, as long as you are aware that any product that involves water and sugar will grow beasties so you don't want them hanging around for any period. Just make them fresh.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.