Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do hubs have a break-in period before they roll smooth? I made a post earlier about how my rear Xero XR-1 hub has a mild thumping feel as the hub spins, but then I read somewhere that it takes a while for a rear hub to break-in? Is that true? Was just curios since my front hub rolls completely smooth.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
no...

Are you sure the bearing aren't adjusted too tight? That's the most common cause of a thump as the axle is turned. Real cheap hubs with stamped bearing cups require a relatively loose setting to turn freely.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
C-40 said:
Are you sure the bearing aren't adjusted too tight? That's the most common cause of a thump as the axle is turned. Real cheap hubs with stamped bearing cups require a relatively loose setting to turn freely.
Hi, they are cartridge bearings.. any idea how I would loosen them? Do I possibly just need to ride the wheel for a few miles to loosen them up?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
read the instructions....

Every brand is a bit different, but there has to be a method to adjust the cartridge bearings. Most manufacturer websites have instructions available for viewing and download. I tried a google search and came up wiht losts of places to buy, but no instructions.

·
Registered
919 Posts
mwilcko2 said:
Hi, they are cartridge bearings.. any idea how I would loosen them? Do I possibly just need to ride the wheel for a few miles to loosen them up?
I believe Xero wheels are made by Formula (they have a website). Sounds like the loading on the cartridge bearings might be a little tight. Look for a tiny allen head setscrew on the part that clamps into the dropouts. Loosen this screw, back off the adjuster a tiny bit, retighten the allen screw and check. You should be able to find a spot where the bearings turn smoothly with no play.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have Velocity Wheels with a Velocity marked hub but they are made by Formula. I had a similiar situation where when new the front spun like butter and the rear felt for lack of a better work thick. Spun smooth but not for long. I emailed Formula (got their address from their site) and they responded that the rear has triple seals where the front has double and will take a little more time to break in. After about 500 miles on the wheels what they said was true. While the rear doesn't spin quite as well as the front it spins very smoothly now and for a much longer time. My local shop's wheel builder commented recently that the wheels spun very smoothly with no vibration whatsoever. Also I don't know where you live wheels don't spin as well in the cold. Just give them a little time

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
geraldatwork said:
I have Velocity Wheels with a Velocity marked hub but they are made by Formula. I had a similiar situation where when new the front spun like butter and the rear felt for lack of a better work thick. Spun smooth but not for long. I emailed Formula (got their address from their site) and they responded that the rear has triple seals where the front has double and will take a little more time to break in. After about 500 miles on the wheels what they said was true. While the rear doesn't spin quite as well as the front it spins very smoothly now and for a much longer time. My local shop's wheel builder commented recently that the wheels spun very smoothly with no vibration whatsoever. Also I don't know where you live wheels don't spin as well in the cold. Just give them a little time
Yeah, I haven't mounted the tires yet, but they seem to be a little better today. They still pulsate when you spin them, but the front does as well. I doubt I have two bad hubs... The store I bought them from said he did not know the cause but that it seems to dissappear after 10 miles of riding. My back bearing do feel "thick" as you describe.. just a little hard to spin.

Got a set of Veloplugs with these.. not impressed, even though my holes should be the right size, they keep falling out. Off to the local shop for some rim tape.

·
Registered
543 Posts
mwilcko2 said:
Yeah, I haven't mounted the tires yet, but they seem to be a little better today. They still pulsate when you spin them, but the front does as well. I doubt I have two bad hubs... The store I bought them from said he did not know the cause but that it seems to dissappear after 10 miles of riding. My back bearing do feel "thick" as you describe.. just a little hard to spin.

Got a set of Veloplugs with these.. not impressed, even though my holes should be the right size, they keep falling out. Off to the local shop for some rim tape.
Ride them for a while I think you will see a difference after 25 miles in both the front and back but the back might take a few hundred miles before it spins really well. You should continue to see an improvement however small after each ride. Also as I mentoned wheels, cranks,pedals,etc don't spin as well when cold. I also got the plugs with my wheels and although they fit snugly I decided to go the traditional way with rim tape.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Yes

mwilcko2 said:
Do hubs have a break-in period before they roll smooth?.
When the seals are stiff, and some freehub bearings are packed with grease (Campy freehub's two sealed bearings and the bushing are always stiff out of the box) and can make a hub stiff. 1,000 km usually frees things up. Also, some hubs may be packed totally with grease (through the hub shell...campy) which can give you a thick feel.

But on to your specific problem, take your hubs apart and inspect them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts