Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please refer to picture below (pic is not of my bike) for clarification. I just picked up an old peugeot and removed the rear wheel for cleaning. The black plastic spacer (see pic, red circle) in the dropout came out also and crumbled into several pieces. There was no spacer on the other side. My question is when i put the wheel back on can i just push the axel in all the way to the back of the dropout slot? Or will this cause problems with the derailuer/chain length/other? I am aware that it will likely mean the brake will need to be readjusted.

If the axel must go back to its original location, then am i ok without a spacer there?

Also, as in the pic, my bike's axel is secured by nuts and a threaded shaft. can i use a quick release instead? does the quick release and shaft diameter have to be the same for me to use the quick release?

any suggestions or related issues brought would be of great help!!

Thanks in advance!!

~bilydu

· Registered
168 Posts
You definitely don't need that plastic spacer. However, whenever you reinstall the rear wheel, you should make sure it's straight, and that the axle bolts are positioned symmetrically in the left/right dropouts. You can probably convert that hub to quick release, but it may be a lot of work. You'll need to replace that threaded shaft (the axle) with a hollow axle. Then, you stick the quick release through the hollow axle.

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
kpcw said:
You also need to give that bike a few hours of TLC. That chain, cassette, RD, pulleys etc, everything in the view of that photo needs to be cleaned, stripped and lubed big-time. Good luck.
First sentence= "Please refer to picture below (pic is not of my bike) for clarification." - TF

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.