Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this earlier in the Giant forum, but didn't get a response, so I thought I'd try here.

I just got my new Giant Trinity Alliance -- it's their multi-sport / TT frame. It has a compact geometry frame, with an aero (air foil cross sectional shape) seat post.

As it came in the box, the seat post goes into the seat post tube about 7-8 inches (then runs into a seam where the seat stays attach to the seat post tube), leaving the seat about 4-5 inches too high for me. Based on what I’m seeing, the only way to get the seat low enough is to cut it to get it shorter.

Does anyone have experience with fitting this frame? Am I reading this right that the seat post as delivered from the factory is intentionally left long enough to fit a real tall rider, but needs to be cut for normal (or shorter) riders?

Thanks.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have the 06' TCR TT Composite frameset (all carbon predecessor of the Trinity) in size large and ran into the same problem when I first built up the bike and again when I installed a Fizik Tri2 Carbon saddle. In both cases, saddle height required more seatpost insertion than was possible so I shortened the post using a Dewalt 12" Compound Mitre saw as it produces a much cleaner cut but the same hacksaw that is used for cutting carbon fork steerer tubes can be used to shorten the seatpost. Shortening the seatpost to achieve proper fit is not really a problem although you may find it a hinderence at some point in the future when it comes time for a new bike and you want to sell the old bike to someone taller.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.