Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched to a different team this yr, and, well, I my kit hasn't arrived yet. Can I still race (with my team affiliation) without my team kit? Yeah, it's a noob-dumbass ??, but I'd hate to plunk down my regstration $$ only to find out that I can't race.....

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
UCI race?

If so,
Rulebook said:
1L3. UCI Teams and Category 1 & 2 riders who are
members of the same Team or club must wear identifiably
similar uniforms when competing in a massed start race
except where different uniforms are called for by the
Federation regulations. This also applies to over garments
such as vests, jackets, and rain jackets; for UCI Teams and
Category 1 & 2 riders who are members of the same team
these items must be transparent or identifiably similar except
where different uniforms are called for by the Federation
regulations. [Offending rider not permitted to start if noted
before the race; otherwise, warning for first offense].
1L4. Club Jerseys. In competition, no rider shall wear the
emblem, inscription, or uniform of any club or team which the
rider is not eligible to represent [Offending rider may not be
permitted to start if noted before the race; otherwise,
warning for first offense].

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, if I've read correctly, I can, assuming it's not a UCI race, as long as it's pretty much a plain jersey.....(which I doubt I have.....)

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
threesportsinone said:
UCI race?
I think it'd be more likely for Kram to be racing Cat 1,2's than racing in a UCI race, but in either situation the rule still applies.

Outside of that (ie. Cat 3,4,5) sounds like you can do more-or-less whatever you want (as long as you're not wearing a world champ/national champ/etc jersey).

Be prepared, however, to be yelled at by someone who doesn't know you when they realize that you're working with your teammates while not being immediately identifiyable as such (not that I've done such a thing, but could def. see it happening)

maybe a teammate has a vest you can borrow?

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope. No team mates around. I'll just wear something generic. Maybe a RBR jersey that I have:p

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
bill said:
he switched teams.
he can't wear the other team's kit.
pay attention.
Perhaps if you quoted the person to whom you were responding....?

See, I thought you were responding to this:

fleck said:
ask around.
i'm sure a teamate will lend you a jersey from last year's kit
In which case he wouldn't be wearing another team's kit, but rather an old kit.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Probably the most sporting thing to do is borrow a teammates jersey from last year (if available) or wear something neutral. As for the officials, the only times I've seenthem hassle a rider over clothing was once when a guy had world champ stripes on his jersey and twice over a jersey not having sleeves (one of those I think was world champ guy). I've also seen them get away with letting guys race without sleeves o one or two occaisions.

Not to hijack, but what's the logic behind requiring sleeves? Do the officials just not want to see hairy pits in a victory salute?

·
cross rocks
45 Posts
Changing USCF clubs

I found this thread while trying to answer a question that was posed to our club president tonight. One of our members is going to Belgium to train and race with JBCA (http://www.cyclingcenter.com/) on 6/12. He said he needs a release letter from his current club in order to race for JBCA. He will be returning to our club when he's back in the States on 8/1.

Has anyone heard of this type of release form or a similar situation? I don't know, but I'm thinking a UCI license might be required to race in Belgium. If anything, I guess JBCA should be able to provide a release form, since they're probably the ones asking for it..

Speedi Pig said:

Not to hijack, but what's the logic behind requiring sleeves? Do the officials just not want to see hairy pits in a victory salute?
I'm not positive, but I think the sleeves are required in case of a crash to protect the rider's shoulders.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Doesn't surprise me...

gburkhol said:
I found this thread while trying to answer a question that was posed to our club president tonight. One of our members is going to Belgium to train and race with JBCA (http://www.cyclingcenter.com/) on 6/12. He said he needs a release letter from his current club in order to race for JBCA. He will be returning to our club when he's back in the States on 8/1.

Has anyone heard of this type of release form or a similar situation? I don't know, but I'm thinking a UCI license might be required to race in Belgium. If anything, I guess JBCA should be able to provide a release form, since they're probably the ones asking for it..

I'm not positive, but I think the sleeves are required in case of a crash to protect the rider's shoulders.
This doesn't surprise me really. Mostly because, yes, if he is going to be racing overseas, he is going to need to have a UCI license. Also, on your current racing license, if you are a member of a club/team, the folks at USA Cycling have this team name on file for you, as in, that is who you are racing for.

Going overseas, he no doubt will need, again, the UCI license, and in order to race for the team that he'll be racing for, he'll need his license to state the name of the team (JBCA, or whatever they're registered as), and if he is not released from his current club / team, it won't show the right name, and they'll probably not let him line up for races.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
An international license is requried, as well as a foreign permission letter.

The foreign permission letter is fairly easy to get. Once you have an international license, you go to the My USAC thing, and then down by request upgrade/downgrade etc there's request permission to ride.

-estone2

·
Registered
197 Posts
Style Rules

Speedi Pig said:
Why are soccer players required to wear their socks pulled up? Why are NFL players required to wear white shoes?

I just wish officials were more stingent about enforcing the rules about generic kit if you aren't racing as a club member. Racing in a CSC, Disco, Phonak or whatever jersey is just not cool unless you are actually on the team.

Reminds of a race a couple of years ago where some Triathlete who had obviously been told on his group rides that he was fast and should race. So, he shows up to race Cat 5 in a black sleeveless skin-suit. He was asked to wear a t-shirt underneath or on top to comply with the rules.

He refused saying "That would look stupid!". I had to laugh because it couldn't look any worse than what he was already wearing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.