Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of upgrading my Moots Vamoots from 10 speed Ultegra to 11. I have Fulcrum Racing 1 wheelset. I can get correct 11 speed compatible freehub body then I'll need 11 spd shifters, cassette and chain. But my question is do I really need to upgrade my front and rear derailleurs to make it work or will my old 10 speed derailleurs do the trick?

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,567 Posts
Yes, this has been covered many times. You need them because the geometry and cable pull ratios of the 11 speed stuff is different than all other Shimano drivetrains.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Yes, you need both derailleurs. I just upgraded by bike from 5700 10 spd to 5800 because I picked up the shifters and rear derailleur for $125, brand new, taken off a new bike at a LBS. So installed those pieces and found out I could not use the front derailleur so I had to order that, not expensive so no big deal.

I am still using the 10 speed cassette and wheel, Shimano C50, that cannot accept the 11 speed. So I am running 11 speed 5800 shifters and
derailleurs but only 10 speed in the rear. I get an extra shift on the shifter on the big end of the cassette that just does not give me a shift. But the system works fine. Shifts smoother then the 5700 system did. I am also using the stock Oval brakes, no problem with that.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The pull ratio as said changed, also the pulling tension changed as well on the new 5800, 6800 and 9000 stuff. The only part you don't have to change that Shimano and the shops will tell you to change is the crank, the 10spd crank will work just fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.