Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Unstable
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part of my commute includes a bus ride that takes me down the interstate at 65 MPH with my bike mounted sideways on the front (pretty typical setup). I am getting ready to pull the trigger on some Ortlieb roll top panniers, and I think it would be a good idea for them to be removed and placed in the overhead bin on the bus. Does anyone else do this? Is this a pain/time sink? Also, when the bus is crowded with bike riders, it is often necessary to park the bike in the bus, so do panniers take up alot of real estate where other bicyclists might start getting pi$$y that my bike is bloated with bags? I really like the volume aspects of these panniers plus the fact that they are weather resistant. I live in the PNW and require layers of clothing for different times of the year.

Thanks for reading and any advice or other options that you may present.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Meat Foot said:
Part of my commute includes a bus ride that takes me down the interstate at 65 MPH with my bike mounted sideways on the front (pretty typical setup). I am getting ready to pull the trigger on some Ortlieb roll top panniers, and I think it would be a good idea for them to be removed and placed in the overhead bin on the bus. Does anyone else do this? Is this a pain/time sink? Also, when the bus is crowded with bike riders, it is often necessary to park the bike in the bus, so do panniers take up alot of real estate where other bicyclists might start getting pi$$y that my bike is bloated with bags? I really like the volume aspects of these panniers plus the fact that they are weather resistant. I live in the PNW and require layers of clothing for different times of the year.

Thanks for reading and any advice or other options that you may present.
The real soloution is for you to tuck in right behind the bus. Remember the scene in "Breaking Away" where he drafts the semi for many miles? Stay within 3" or so of the rear bumper as the bus accelerates to 65mph. Then just keep pedaling like there's no tomorrow. This way, you'll get more exercise and you'll save the bus fare!

But seriously, I take my panniers off all the time. I treat them like a briefcase that I can mount to my rear rack when necessary.

- FBB

·
Unstable
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fbagatelleblack said:
The real soloution is for you to tuck in right behind the bus. Remember the scene in "Breaking Away" where he drafts the semi for many miles? Stay within 3" or so of the rear bumper as the bus accelerates to 65mph. Then just keep pedaling like there's no tomorrow. This way, you'll get more exercise and you'll save the bus fare!

But seriously, I take my panniers off all the time. I treat them like a briefcase that I can mount to my rear rack when necessary.

- FBB
Nice! I do like that idea. Seriously, there is a guy I used to see riding his bike on I-5 up into Wilsonville. He is core! I have to duck on the bus so he does not finger me in a line up. I would really hate it if my bags launched on the fwy. right into the windshield of the bus :eek:

Thanks for the heads up, I figured I would do it and just have all the passengers wait for me
:cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.