Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I forget which of these forum's it was in but I read a post from a fellow who crashed and destroyed a pair of Smith sunglasses. He went on to say that they broke in an un-expected way and cut him. So I got to thinking, who besides us bicycle fanatics read these forums. Would say a bicycle O.E.M. monitor the page that features thier product?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mtbr...

I know that they used to on mtbr. I remember a year or two ago the guy who owns Ellsworth got into it on his manufacturers forum and the owner of Ventana was some how brought into it. That one got rather ugly if memory serves me correctly. Over here on road bike I don't know. sanspeur

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
Rondo said:
I forget which of these forum's it was in but I read a post from a fellow who crashed and destroyed a pair of Smith sunglasses. He went on to say that they broke in an un-expected way and cut him. So I got to thinking, who besides us bicycle fanatics read these forums. Would say a bicycle O.E.M. monitor the page that features thier product?
Ibex has a rep, with several posts, who posted a dispute when someone called Ibex a bargain brand. I can't remember any others, at the moment.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Rondo said:
There's no way to really tell. If you're only here to look for what people are saying about your own product you can do most everything you need to do without even registering with site. Manufacturer's are just one of the "X" guests reviewing this site.

There's a few who post and contribute to the community. The most active currently is probably Todd Kuzma who owns Heron. Most of the people in the bicycle industry that are posting on the site I've seen are not here because they are in the biz. They are just like you and me, enthusiastic hobbyist's looking to talk about the thing they love.

I'd hate to be the poor intern who's dropped in front of a PC and asked to Goggle "Smith" for references to sunglasses. Better to work for somebody named "Zeal" if you get stuck with that duty.

Scot

·
i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
When I was posting some of the products in the review section, I'd get occassional emails from manufacturers asking to be added to the listing, maybe one per month. Parlee comes to mind. Their post count was usually pretty low, but that doesn't mean they weren't lurking in these forums.

I know for sure I've seen Richard Sachs (e-Richie), and possibly Brian Bayliss, post on here before too.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
I know that Vittoria does. I posted a very unflattering review of one of their tire models, and it very quickly was moved to the "archives" section, where nobody is likely to ever read it.

I also suspect that Wellgo has somebody who reads the reviews. Why else would they keep making new models with the same lousy design (which has been blasted by nearly every reviewer here for the last 5 years), except to keep people from finding out that it's a poorly designed pedal? They have 5 or 6 "models" that are esentially the same, just with different colors.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
Rondo said:
A guy from ABG pretty much camps on the litespeed/merlin forums.

·
Overweight, aging athlete
63 Posts
Conspiracy Theory...

Being a late 60's activist (not a good one) I always think that manufactures or distibutors start some threads to push their products. The threads that start with, " what does everyone think of XXXXX?" always strikes me as a shill kind of come-on. This is especially true when I don't recognize the name (or handle). There are probably legitimate postings also...but I am often suspicious. By the way, ever notice how many black bikes are around now-a-days? Foreigners on our soil?
On a serious note, if I were a manufacturer or distibutor I would keep an eye on everything related to my product(s). This would probably included hanging around european races (for product field assessment.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
There are some bike company employees that check in here from time to time. How much they actively monitor every forum is another question. They do have much better ways to get customer feedback, e.g., their customer service phone number or bike shop reps.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I work at a bike store. I know that even if they dont moniter them they get questions asked to their reps at a store level we see a lot of noise about something breaking/sucking on forums. Usually we also have asked our shop people if they have seen problems with it too.

I would doubt they spend a whole lot of time worrying about it though. There are simply too many forums, too many blogs, to many things for it to be effective to moniter them.

As for asking what do you think of... I do that because with new products i havent tried sometimes i get great answers. I would definatly do that if I were produceing something because it would be interesting to see how it was being recieved. Not because i was trying to sway things.

Besides you would see a lot more shwag getting sent out if the big boys were trying to woo people on these boards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.