Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading David Millar's blog and got to thinking. How much of the tour do the riders actually watch on TV during or after the TdF? I would assume most team hotels would have TV service. Would they just watch the nightly news highlights? Watch bits and pieces of the race replay? Have the DS watch it on Tivo after the race is finished to recon more strategy? Not watch any of it at all? What got me thinking is how much other sports rely on game tape to strategize, etc.

http://www.slipstreamsports.com/2008/07/21/dodging-wildebeest-on-our-way-to-the-alps
"I can’t really tell you much about what went on as I didn’t see a thing as they were a quarter of an hour ahead of us much of the day." .... "I think this year I’ll be purchasing the Tour resume DVD so I can see what the old boy has been getting up to. "

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
snowman3 said:
I was reading David Millar's blog and got to thinking. How much of the tour do the riders actually watch on TV during or after the TdF? I would assume most team hotels would have TV service. Would they just watch the nightly news highlights? Watch bits and pieces of the race replay? Have the DS watch it on Tivo after the race is finished to recon more strategy? Not watch any of it at all? What got me thinking is how much other sports rely on game tape to strategize, etc.

how are other sports related to stage race cycling? even automobile road races are on a fixed track, their strategy is in the pit stops...cyclists are "going somewhere" during the stages so how would watching a video be beneficial. the racers were IN THE RACE, a video isn't going to help post-stage.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am The Edge said:
how are other sports related to stage race cycling? even automobile road races are on a fixed track, their strategy is in the pit stops...cyclists are "going somewhere" during the stages so how would watching a video be beneficial. the racers were IN THE RACE, a video isn't going to help post-stage.
pit stops? Um, no. The pits play a big role, but the racing is out on the track.

My question was more in regard to whether they watch the tour because they are cycling fans. Millar wasn't IN the race, he was at the BACK of the race in a sea of jerseys watching the crowd go by. The real race was up front and out of sight. So I'm wondering if the guys in the back watch the finish on TV, or just listen to cool stories from other riders on how it unfolded.

·
Fast No More.
770 Posts
snowman3 said:
...So I'm wondering if the guys in the back watch the finish on TV, or just listen to cool stories from other riders on how it unfolded.
Maybe they hit up the CN/VN/native language cycling website live feed just like we do - after posting to their blog from the Crackberry on the massage table, of course.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
snowman3 said:
pit stops? Um, no. The pits play a big role, but the racing is out on the track.

My question was more in regard to whether they watch the tour because they are cycling fans. Millar wasn't IN the race, he was at the BACK of the race in a sea of jerseys watching the crowd go by. The real race was up front and out of sight. So I'm wondering if the guys in the back watch the finish on TV, or just listen to cool stories from other riders on how it unfolded.
pit strategy, moreon.

·
Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
snowman3 said:

http://www.slipstreamsports.com/2008/07/21/dodging-wildebeest-on-our-way-to-the-alps
"I can’t really tell you much about what went on as I didn’t see a thing as they were a quarter of an hour ahead of us much of the day." .... "I think this year I’ll be purchasing the Tour resume DVD so I can see what the old boy has been getting up to. "
They probably just order up a bunch of adult films when they get back to their motel rooms. :aureola:

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I am The Edge said:
Videos help tremendously. In formula 1, a lot of races are won on pit strategy, but having the best car helps free your pit strategy. If you have a faster car, you know you can take time out of competitors and thus have leeway in deciding your strategy. This is how Ferrari and Schumacher won for so many years. They could do a 4 stop strategy or a 2 stopper and still come away with the win.

snowman3 said:
In the past years of modern day Formula 1 racing, the win has been mostly given to those with strong pit strategy. Even without TC we have seen pit strategy mistakes that almost cost Hamilton the win at Silverstone and gave Piquet second place. We have also seen it totally mess up Raikonen. So pit strategy is HUGE in Formula 1, even for the slower cars.

But yes, racing on the track will always decide the winner. If you can't get to the finish line, you can't win the race.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.