Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a recent logging truck fatality in Oregon (though a long way from where I ride) I was out Saturday and had a big pickup with trailer try to recreate the accident with me by closing me out with the trailer, and I had a rock wall rather than a ditch to my right too. There was another incident earlier as well but that one blotted it out of my mind. Since other news reports effect people's behavior (like suicides prompting more suicides) is there reason to believe cycling fatalities do the same?

I can imagine people hearing the news and thinking "those f-ing cyclists shouldn't be on the road anyway" and then being even less tolerant or more cavalier with others lives than usual, so it's not like a causal connection can't be hypothesized.

I think it's a full moon today too so that could be the real problem. Most disturbing since it was the first time I had flipped anyone off since 1988 (they did a screeching 180 and came back and ran me off the road, hence the change in my digit extension policy).

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,358 Posts
terzo rene said:
After a recent logging truck fatality in Oregon (though a long way from where I ride) I was out Saturday and had a big pickup with trailer try to recreate the accident with me by closing me out with the trailer, and I had a rock wall rather than a ditch to my right too. There was another incident earlier as well but that one blotted it out of my mind. Since other news reports effect people's behavior (like suicides prompting more suicides) is there reason to believe cycling fatalities do the same?

I can imagine people hearing the news and thinking "those f-ing cyclists shouldn't be on the road anyway" and then being even less tolerant or more cavalier with others lives than usual, so it's not like a causal connection can't be hypothesized.

I think it's a full moon today too so that could be the real problem. Most disturbing since it was the first time I had flipped anyone off since 1988 (they did a screeching 180 and came back and ran me off the road, hence the change in my digit extension policy).
'round here there was an off-duty cop on a MTB killed by a car, no helmet...same day I read the story I see a guy on a roadie riding on one of the busier streets, not only no helmet, but also proceeds to full speed run a red light (one of the busier intersections, of course).

Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former.
-Al Einstein

· Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Don't know about news reports

terzo rene said:
I think it's a full moon today too so that could be the real problem. .
But, I recently had lunch with a professor of psychiatry and the subject of full moon behavior came up. The professor claimed that there are numerous scientific studies that prove that the full moon does not affect human behavior. But, there were eight of us at the table, all of us would like to think that we are educated and intelligent, and not one of us believed the professor.

For me, the most direct effect of news reports of cycling deaths is that whenever one appears, I get grief from my wife, my mother and my coworkers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.