Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
14,776 Posts
There are lots of good brands. Zefal, Blackburn, Topeak and more. Full-length frame pumps work best, and are easiest to get to high pressure, so if you don't care about weight or looks that's the way to go.

Lots of mini-pumps work fine, too (I like the Blackburn Airstick), but they take longer to get high pressures because you get less air with each stroke.

CO2 has 2 advantages: lighter weight, and speed. Personally, I don't think the weight difference is enough to worry about, and the extra minute to use a pump only matters in a race or a group ride where people might be impatient waiting for you.

CO2 has disadvantages: cost, one-time use (if you get a second flat, you need another cartridge, or a pump), junk to dispose of, and one big one: if you goof up getting the connector on the valve properly, you can waste a cartridge.

I use mini-pumps on 2 of my bikes, and a full-length frame pump on my rain commuter. I think CO2 would be silly for my purposes (and for most people, IMHO).

· Registered
12,278 Posts
They make CO2 pumps that can pump or use the CO2, good if you run out of CO2. I use CO2 and carry 2 tubes and cartridges. It may seem daunting, but if you're on a group ride, there tends to be other riders with the same tube size and come CO2 cartridges as well. Never be too ashamed to bum one if you run out and feel free to hand 'em out if you notice someone ran out.

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Frame pumps

Sure, plenty of people still use 'em.

Light-duty recreational cyclists and "group ride" guys often just do the CO2 route, but commuters, touring cyclists, and racers who will be off on longer, out of cell phone reception still swear by frame pumps.

I always dug my Zefal, but recently saw a crank bros one that was really nice. I have switched over to a Lezyne road drive, it is smaller than other frame pumps, but with the thread-on hose, I find it's easier to get to full pressure that way.

I had a hard time keeping the pump head on the valve stem, with the zefal, if it was wet especially.

· RoadBikeRider
1,053 Posts
co2 is nice for a group ride when everybody is waiting for you to fix your flat...faster. If you are fast with a pump or have a more casual group...probably fine too...or might end up riding home alone.

Pumps are nice for solo / everyday riding when you can fix your flat at leisure.

· Registered
5,084 Posts
I use the red one of these
They add bling and work really well. They make my Blackburn seem like I'm pumping up my tire by blowing through a straw.

I also carry two tubes because I ride alone a lot.

I only use CO2 for my mtb races.

View attachment 201824

· Registered
21,868 Posts
Hardly anybody

francoaa said:
I am just getting back into road bike. Do people still use frame pumps? Or is co2? What is a pump to get frame, mini, or co2? If co2 can't that get expensvie? What is a good pump brand?
The only time people use frame pumps is when their CO2 inflator effs up and they use two cartridges without pumping the tire, then they ask me to pump it up with my frame pump. Oh, and the other time is when we're all sick and tired of waiting for them to get enough pressure with their mini pump, and then they ask me to use my frame pump. Other than that, hardly anybody uses a frame pump. :)

· Registered
2,651 Posts
Nobody I know uses a frame pump, but they are very handy. When someones CO2 messes up, then they ask me for another CO2 cartridge.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I haven't used a pump in at least 3 years while on the road. I use C02, but I always carry a mini pump for emergencies. I test the pump now & then to make sure it works all right.I truthfully can't remember when I last saw a rider with a frame pump. If you're interested in an efficient carry-on-the-bike pump take a look at the Topeak Road Morph. They're the next best thing to carrying a floor pump with you. They have a handle that folds to form a T, a hose, a built in gauge, and a foot platform. When I was working I carried one on my commuter. Here's one :http://www.topeak.com/products/Mini-Pumps/RoadMorphG

· Registered
11,555 Posts
Just for reference: my Zefal hp4 frame pump, my Topeak Road Morph, and my CO2 in the form of an inflator plus two cartridges all weighed about the same on my trusty scale. So if you're concerned about weight, a mini pump is the only alternative that makes a difference. I have the Zefal on my main ride and the Topeak on a bike that will not take a frame pump. I gave the CO2 away after it let me down once, which was one time too many. :)

/w

· Registered
1,237 Posts
francoaa said:
I am just getting back into road bike. Do people still use frame pumps? Or is co2? What is a pump to get frame, mini, or co2? If co2 can't that get expensvie? What is a good pump brand?

Dude, I've got a 20 year old Zefel frame pump that I still use on my "beater" bike. It also gets a lot of use pumping the kids bike tires, basketballs, and just about anything else.

But, for the mtn bike and new road bike, I've got mini pumps. I figure the mini pump will put enough air in the tire to get me home... that's all I'm concerned about.

D

· Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
ziscwg said:
I use the red one of these
They add bling and work really well. They make my Blackburn seem like I'm pumping up my tire by blowing through a straw.

I also carry two tubes because I ride alone a lot.

I only use CO2 for my mtb races.

View attachment 201824
hmm... I got a Blackburn mini pump and it's a major pain. I should check those out. My frame won't accomodate a regular frame pump. Got a link?

· Registered
11,555 Posts
wim said:
I have the ...Topeak on a bike that will not take a frame pump
Just some added information: rode that bike today, got a flat, and the Topeak Road Morph let me down. On opening it up when I finally got back home, I found that the dry rubber O-ring had rolled off the dry plastic plunger disc. Put the O-ring back on the plunger disc, greased that whole area liberally, re-assembled the pump and all is good again. Moral: if you have a Topeak Road Morph that's not been used for a while, try to pump up something and see if it still works as advertised. :)

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
wim said:
Just some added information: rode that bike today, got a flat, and the Topeak Road Morph let me down. On opening it up when I finally got back home, I found that the dry rubber O-ring had rolled off the dry plastic plunger disc. Put the O-ring back on the plunger disc, greased that whole area liberally, re-assembled the pump and all is good again. Moral: if you have a Topeak Road Morph that's not been used for a while, try to pump up something and see if it still works as advertised. :)
Yeah, but if you hadn't given up on your CO2 when IT let you down once you would've had a useful backup today.

Sorry wim, I couldn't resist (and I hope you didn't have a long walk home). :)

· Registered
11,555 Posts
PJ352 said:
Yeah, but if you hadn't given up on your CO2 when IT let you down once you would've had a useful backup today.

Sorry wim, I couldn't resist (and I hope you didn't have a long walk home). :)
LOL, I thought about that very thing: where's my CO2? Didn't have a long walk home because I was on a group ride and a kind soul let me use her frame pump. :D

· So. Calif.
2,861 Posts
I wonder if there aren't regional, geographic preferences ??

In So Calif, it seems "serious" roadies use :
-- 90% CO2, no obvious pump on bike or in jersey pocket.
-- 9% mini-pump, either on a bracket, or in jersey pocket .

The only fullsize frame pumps I see are on the remaining 1% :
-- "traditional" roadies, ie classic steel diamond frames, downtube shifters, etc.
-- cyclotourists with panniers, on a Surly LHT or similar.

The fixed gear hipsters are too cool to carry any visible spare tubes, pumps, etc, unless maybe it's stuffed into the front of their shorts :rolleyes:

I carry 2 CO2 cartridges and a tiny, screw-on adapter, in a small saddlebag.
I admit -- I don't want my frame cluttered up with pumps, brackets, bento boxes, mirrors, reflectors, or other useless crapola.

· Registered
877 Posts
I carry a CO2 system in my seat bag and a Topeak mini pump attached to the seat tube. I like the redundancy of having both systems, and I also don't care too much about what cycle snobs think about my bike.

I used to carry a pump that wedged itself between the bottom bracket and the top tube that I used with my 1980's bike. That worked well in keeping my tires inflated properly in a day when you needed to top off the pressure several times per day on long rides. A long pump also worked well as a weapon when some dog decided that a cyclists calf would be a tasty alternative to Alpo. I spent several pumps on those situations, so it was good that they only cost $10-$15 each.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.