Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to thinking about it and obviously Protour teams get all of their stuff from sponsors for free but what about continental teams, domestic teams, national teams, women's teams, etc. that don't get nearly as much coverage or attention? For example, is it economically in the best interest of a frame manufacturer to give a pro team that won't get much tv/magazine coverage 15, 20 (or more?) expensive framesets that probably won't generate many sales in, or especially out of the small fanbase that most smaller teams and races have? Same goes for components, wheels, etc. Just curious if anyone knows whether these teams have to subsidize any of their own stuff?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shimano is so freakin huge that they probably don't need to give anything away. Even crap bikes from department stores have bottom of the line Shimano Components....and cycling stuff is only one branch of the corporation. They also make fishing and snowboarding gear. Campy and Sram on the other hand might do themselves some good by hooking up some teams with free gear. I highly doubt you'll find any K-mart bike with basic Campy.

·
Registered
315 Posts
i thought "sponsorship" suggests the "provision" of product?

and teams have to "use" the product, or "perceived" to be using the product, which may involve disguising other products (hiding other logos, "rebranding" frames etc)

if required to "pay" for my equipment, i'd use campagnolo - after all, friends don't let friends ride shimano ;o)

G

·
I know this I hope Barloworld got paid plenty for their various components. Nothing wrong with a good Bianchi frame but the rest of their builds is a train wreck.

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
den bakker said:
makes you wonder how much FSA paid them to use their crankset....
My guess? Probably nothing. Just... cranks.

Didn't Bjarne Riis, in an interview a while back, say that he chose components on bicycles based on what he liked best performance-wise? Not whomever gave them the most stuff (money, product...)? Am I making this up?

G

·
With only a couple individuals as exceptions, everyone pays for their Lightweight wheels, they do not do much in the way of sponsoring.

·
ab aeterno
3,395 Posts
Cruzer2424 said:

Didn't Bjarne Riis, in an interview a while back, say that he chose components on bicycles based on what he liked best performance-wise? Not whomever gave them the most stuff (money, product...)? Am I making this up?
Umm wouldn't he get paid to say something like that though.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I've read that Campy and Shimano require that if they are to sponsor a team, the team has to use not only the group, but the wheels as well (Campy allows for Fulcrum wheels of course).

Based off of that, if you see a team riding wheels not branded Shimano or Campy/Fulcrum, then I'd imagine that the team has paid for the group in some form. (Unless it's an SRAM group).

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Cruzer2424 said:

Didn't Riis say he did not dope?
Would you really expect him to come out and say "yeah the product is carp but we get paid well to use it"?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.