Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
The plastic base should be good forever. The leather covering will eventually wear through, or will get so beat up from riding in the rain, that you will want to replace it. If you ever find "your" saddle, buy a spare, just in case it goes out of production. Many of todays "trendy" saddles, will disapear in 3 to 4 years. The "classics" will be around for years. You can still get a "Rolls", and if you look real hard, you can still get a "Turbo".

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
depends on saddle..

Some of the older model saddles, like Mr. Grumpy, said seem to last forever. I have a San Marco Rolls and Regal and I think it is impossible to wear these saddles out. I have a newer model S.I. Flite Ti and the cover looks like it's been through WWII. Most of the newer era ultra light saddles are lightly padded and the covers tend to wear out fast. I find the man made material (such as Lorica) seem to hold up very well. I have an old San Marco Era and the cover is in very good shape. I think the ti rails loose some of their qualities after awhile. Of course rider weight and how hard you are on saddles count also.
I saw a Turbo for sale on ebay the other day..

·
Registered
813 Posts
ive noticed that saddles with a decent amount of padding in them, wear out as the foam padding gets less and less supportive (kinda like my couch).

Thats why I usually opt for a Flite or SLR as they have minimal padding to sag.

thats my take.

j

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sel Italia Flite - Two data point

1. My Flite had a broken rail after 3,000 miles -- a not uncommon problem for the "gravitational gifted among us". I now inspect mine periodically -- say every couple of months.

2. The owners manual that came with my new Flite recommended periodic inspections of saddles and to replace them every 10,000 miles at least.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Au contraire

hdave_CO said:
So it is not likely that my flight has gone bad. this is good.
It is quite possible that your Flite has changed over the time of its use. The plastic base on the Flite is definitely known to sag. Over time the saddle will become more concave from front to back. I don't know if the base sags or if there is some stretching where the rails insert but I am a LONG time user of Flites and trust me, this happens. Fit guru Steve Hogg at cyclingnews.com also writes of this.

As to how much sag is too much? I can't say. It generally happens slowly over time so I don't really notice it until I get a new bike and put a new Flite on. However, I have even found new Flite saddles can vary in the concavity. I have examined 3 new plain black Flite Ti saddles at a local shop, all produced in 2005 and one was definitely flatter, and one was definitely more concave. Sounds like Goldilocks and the 3 bears!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a whole drawer full of worn out S.I. Flites. I've tried the S.I.Carbinios but instead of sagging in the middle the outer edges (wings(?)) tend to flop over giving the impression I'm straddling a rope for a saddle. I've tried many different styles of saddles and the Flite pattern suits me best. So I guess I'm left with purchasing a new Flite saddle after roughly every year or two of riding.

·
Larry Lackapants
698 Posts
I deffinately used my Flite until the plastic shell sagged so much it started touching the head of the seatpost. And I'm max 73kg heavy. It sagged this amount in 5 years and was comfy-est at the end of the period, in it's 4'th and 5'th year of life. I rode about 5-7000 km a year, many of them on bad roads.
I think it's because of the TI rails that started bending. But IMO that's why the Flite is so comfy - it is flexible so all tension induced by the rider's weight is automatically transmitted to the rails tending to compress and bend them.

Good luck,
br

·
Registered
38 Posts
I find once the S.I. Flite begins to sag there is a tendency for me to start sliding towards the belly of the sag away from the wider rear end of the saddle. My sit bones will no longer be supported by the saddle rather my crotch will be straddling the narrowing part of the saddle. Therefore, I'm forced to push against the handlebars with my arms to maintain my position on the saddle.
Would tipping the front end up help thereby leveling off the rear end of the Flite as to maintain support of the sit bones?

·
Larry Lackapants
698 Posts
tortise said:
I find once the S.I. Flite begins to sag there is a tendency for me to start sliding towards the belly of the sag away from the wider rear end of the saddle. My sit bones will no longer be supported by the saddle rather my crotch will be straddling the narrowing part of the saddle. Therefore, I'm forced to push against the handlebars with my arms to maintain my position on the saddle.
Would tipping the front end up help thereby leveling off the rear end of the Flite as to maintain support of the sit bones?
You may try this but the nose of the saddle will be a pain.
I didn't succeed. Plus I sit better on the narrower part[edit: at the middle/ first 1/3 of the saddle] which had the sag in it so it's been a sad breakup between me and that saddle

Good luck,
br

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.