Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can you have SRAM Apex DoubleTap Shifters that are 8 speed (only)? Just to be clear: I am not asking whether these shifters are compatible with an 8 speed drivetrain. I am specifically asking if these are 8 speed shifters or not.

Wherever I look (YouTube, Wikipedia, ebay, SRAM's site, Amazon, etc.), I see that these shifters are 10 speed shifters. However, there is someone claiming that you also have 8 speed Apex DoubleTap shifters. Is this true?

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,341 Posts
SRAM has never made 8 speed road shifters, only 10, & 11.
Yup. SRAM is a relative newbie to bike components, only being founded in 1987:

"Although SRAM began as a manufacturer of road bike shifters, the company had largely left the road market in 1993 in favor of the rapidly growing mountain bike market. By 2004, SRAM planned a return to the road and began development of two new road groupsets, Force and Rival, which it brought to market in 2006. Force was raced in the Tour de France for the first time the following year. The group made use of a new proprietary shifting technology known as DoubleTap. The technology allows the rider to shift a derailleur in both directions using a single shifter paddle.[2]"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts