Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
your god hates me
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new SRAM Red 11-26 cassette seems to be exactly what I want in a gear selection...but I've got a Shimano drivetrain. Yes, I suppose I could a la carte a Shimano cassette with the appropriate cogs, but I'm lazy, and besides, the idea of buying it as a single piece -- and saving some weight while I'm at it -- appeals to my functional design aesthetic.

Any problems using a SRAM Red cassette w/ Shimano freehub body? Does Shimano chain work with those SRAM cogs or do I need to change that also?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Yes and no... SRAM 10speed cassettes (Red or 1070) will work with MOST Shimano freehubs, but there are a few wheels that use a Shimano 10-speed-only freehub body. 2007 Dura Ace and Ultegra, Ritchey, Campy/Fulcrum and a few others have a 10-only option. Shimano seems to have ditched the new proprietary design in 2008. If you tell me what hubs/wheels you want to use your SRAM Red cassette on, I'll tell you if it will work.

I have Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels and have my 11-26 Red cassette (came with the full group) collecting dust because I have the 10-only freehub.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
SRAM Cassettes work with any Shimano 8/9/10 hub except 7800 series hubs. (because of the deep splines)
7850 will work.

Why do you feel the need for a "Red" cassette? What's wrong with a regular "Force" Cassette?

·
your god hates me
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MR_GRUMPY said:
Why do you feel the need for a "Red" cassette? What's wrong with a regular "Force" Cassette?

I was under the impression that SRAMs "PowerDome" construction was only available on Red. Am I mistaken? It'd be sweet to save a buttload of money with Force.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
I find it rather pretentious...............same as a Record cassette. They would be fine for a sponsored rider, but otherwise, they just prey on people's vanity.

·
Banned
7,756 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
I find it rather pretentious...............same as a Record cassette. They would be fine for a sponsored rider, but otherwise, they just prey on people's vanity.
You are so right. I mean, show me a Huffy ridder and I'll show you someone who isn't pretentious. These other bike companies prey on people's vanity. You may not know it but, a Huffy even comes with a kick stand man! Top of it all--you can buy it for the same price as that red cassette! Plus---- it'll make you strong.

Don't even get me started on those bastards who drive cars fancier than my 1978 AMC Gremlin.

·
Burn baby, burn.
2,526 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Why waste money.
105 will do the same job most likely.
Hell, why not just use a full 105 drivetrain while you are at it.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have this problem (sorry to resurrect an old thread) with SRAM 1070 Cassette and a new Easton EA90 Aero wheelset.. the spleens on the freehub are too deep, except for the slot where the outermost 11 tooth cog should sit. The splene get deeper at where the 3rd Cog sits... The 26 tooth, 3 cog block will not go onto the hub, nor will any of th eother individual cogs... this is frustrating. The jenson reps said it would all work together! psych!

·
Rub it............
3,929 Posts
mephist, here is a PDF from Easton. Your wheels come stock with the R4SL freehub body which is only compatible with the Dura Ace 7800 and DA7900

You need to pick up the R4 hub body to fit the Ultegra cassette.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I retract my previous praise for Easton customer service.

I am located in the same state as their shipping facility, and now, 13 days from my original order date (and shipping estimate of 2 days), I still have not received the freehub. No one will reply to emails and when I call them, they cannot explain why the part hasn't shipped out. My bike has been sitting in a shop for 10 days now, I am going to have to pay a storage fee at this point since I'm the one lagging on the part in their eyes. I received a tracking number from them a week ago, and it still has not moved from the "electronic info received" status on usps.com

I would have gladly paid full retail price to have a damn freehub with timely delivery, however, the false promise of a 2 day ship time led me to act prematurely and take the bike to a shop for build on day 3 of shipping time, assuming the part would arrive the next day. Now I will be out of pocket and most importantly, I want to ride my bike! I could have received it by now from ebay even!

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
Old threads are nice. This one answered by questions.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.