Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do these chain guides really work or are the tolerances so tight on carbon frames that proper derailleur adjustment is near to impossible to achieve?

I see these around a lot. In fact my LBS "includes" it on all their custom carbon frame builds. I got a free one this weekend and not sure if it's worth the time to put it on.

·
Registered
254 Posts
yes they work, why do you think 80% of the tour riders use one? If you got it for free and don't want it I'll take it off your hands

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
I know a lot of people have them on bikes now.. I got a free one at a race this year. Haven't installed it yet because I'm missing a special washer..

·
Reality Star
893 Posts
civdic said:
Do these chain guides really work or are the tolerances so tight on carbon frames that proper derailleur adjustment is near to impossible to achieve?

I see these around a lot. In fact my LBS "includes" it on all their custom carbon frame builds. I got a free one this weekend and not sure if it's worth the time to put it on.
If you do not want it, send it to Andy Schleck.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ZoSoSwiM said:
I know a lot of people have them on bikes now.. I got a free one at a race this year. Haven't installed it yet because I'm missing a special washer..
Do you see the special washer included in the pic? Says on the pack it has everything you need.

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
If you've ever had your chain go right over the small ring and drop on the BB when you shift from the large to small ring then this will absolutely stop it from happening. I made something similar a few years ago and have not had one such indecent since.

·
More carbon fiber please!
791 Posts
Got a "chain tickler" on my TCR. Got it via the classifieds here. Good investment to protect a frame. Especially carbon fiber. Some pics:

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
The one I got isn't a K-Edge.. it's a generic version but the same thing. I need the conical washer for my Campy derailleur. I can't get it off the current mounting bolt and the current bolt isn't long enough.

·
Registered
226 Posts
And yet Schleck did have one. But just watching was motivation enough to go and put a catcher on anyway (and finally tune in that FD).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts