Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do y'all use to build up the soles of your shoes if/when they no longer contact the pedals snugly?

My Eggbeaters are fitting too loosey-goosey. I'm even thinking of going to a shoe repair shop to have them build up my soles a bit.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Are you sure it's not just worn out cleats?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would think that something like a plastic or PBR aluminum shim would work better than Shoe Goo. The Goo remains kinda rubbery even when dry--the disengage lag on the high speed barrier dismount ain't something I'd like to induce. What about a thin, semi flexible plastic that's cut to fit the area of the sole between tread lugs, drilled to be held under the cleats, and glued to keep mud from creeping underneath? I've got some cutting boards from Ikea in the kitchen that'd work perfectly, but I don't think I would exactly get away with sacrificing them for your 'cross habit--my wife can only (barely) put up with mine.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PeanutButterBreath said:
http://www.crankbrothers.com/shoe_shields.php

You could probably make your own, but I don't think goo, platic or aluminum is going to cut it.
Those are actually the exact opposite of what I need. The problem is not where the cleat and pedal meet, but where the shoe and body of the pedal meet on either side of the cleat. Ideally there should be a firm connection at all three of those places.

·
Large Suburban Male
4,131 Posts
pretender said:
What do y'all use to build up the soles of your shoes if/when they no longer contact the pedals snugly?

My Eggbeaters are fitting too loosey-goosey. I'm even thinking of going to a shoe repair shop to have them build up my soles a bit.

Why yes, they do:

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/shoegoo.htm

I haven't even heard mention of this stuff since I was a kid. My Dad swore by this stuff, and we always had a tube in the house for a variety of uses....

Thanks for the memories.

·
Coffee Lover
297 Posts
murbike said:
I haven't even heard mention of this stuff since I was a kid. My Dad swore by this stuff, and we always had a tube in the house for a variety of uses....

Thanks for the memories.
Your dad, too? When I was a kid, my dad used Shoe Goo to extend the life of his Stan Smith tennis shoes wayy beyond their normal life span. He grew up in The Depression, so Shoe Goo was the greatest invention ever for guys like him.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
I still think these are what you need. They sit between the cleat and the shoe and prevent the the "bars" on the pedal that are actually grabbing the cleat from gouging out the sole and creating room for slop.

pretender said:
The problem is not where the cleat and pedal meet, but where the shoe and body of the pedal meet on either side of the cleat.
That is where the shoe shields do their work.

·
Banned
3,262 Posts
I've used Shoe goo on the front of an Arionne saddle when the leather started to tear around the nose. First I crazy glued the leather down, then I put shoe goo over the crazy glue..Works better than tape around the nose which some here have done. I also crashed and made an inch long tear in the side point of an arionne saddle. Used the same procedure. Works great...

·
Registered
493 Posts
What I do on my eggbeaters is wrap tape or put a small innertube around the two ends of the beaters. That is the 4 sided surface you shoe almost rests on. Experiment with the # of wraps of tape for the level of anti-float that you want. If you check cyclingnews, you'll catch pics of this on the pro mtb bikes.

If you use too many wraps, the float goes away and makes it harder to clip in. I use colored duct tape, or medical tape.

·
eat live sleep cross
418 Posts
ifn ya gotta modify a product to work 1/2 as well as an exisitng competitor's product...

makes ya wonder how good of a product ya usin...

no?

(me no big fan of (L)egg beater type things)

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
gewilli said:
ifn ya gotta modify a product to work 1/2 as well as an exisitng competitor's product...

makes ya wonder how good of a product ya usin...

no?

(me no big fan of (L)egg beater type things)
Eggbeaters work just fine out of the box, but the soles of my cheapo shoes have worn down.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rensho said:
What I do on my eggbeaters is wrap tape or put a small innertube around the two ends of the beaters. That is the 4 side surface you shoe almost rests on. Experiment with the # of wraps of tape for the level of anti-float that you want. If you check cyclingnews, you'll catch pics of this on the pro mtb bikes.

If you use too many wraps, the float goes away and makes it harder to clip in. I use colored duct tape, or medical tape.
Thank you thank you thank you thank you.

I will try this out the next couple of days.

·
eat live sleep cross
418 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
IME, SPDs are useless in mud. You also pay more for a heavier pedal over CBs. Its worth it to me to modify a product for sperior performance, weight and cost. Just sayin'. . .
747s maybe

959s? not in my experience lately...

YMMV

granted i'm 200+ pounds and that's a decent amount of mud clearing force

SPD may stand for stupid pedal design... but this new pedal they got is pretty nice - wide open and all that... major improvement...

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
gewilli said:
747s maybe

959s? not in my experience lately...

YMMV

granted i'm 200+ pounds and that's a decent amount of mud clearing force

SPD may stand for stupid pedal design... but this new pedal they got is pretty nice - wide open and all that... major improvement...
Yeah, I have only tried the lower end SPDs. The next time I get fed up with CB I might have to give 959s a shot. I'm also keeping an eye out for feedback on the new Looks.

·
793 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
Yeah, I have only tried the lower end SPDs. The next time I get fed up with CB I might have to give 959s a shot. I'm also keeping an eye out for feedback on the new Looks.
Gewilli is right, the 959 design is way better than the old 747 spd design for mud clearance.

I"ve been running two sets for the past couple seasons (in Oregon) and they've done really well in the mud.

The only data point I have to compare against the egg beaters for mud shedding is during a particularly sticky/muddy race last season, I was pre-riding the course wtih a teammate who had eggs. He was complaining about not being able to get back into his pedals due to mud on the warmup lap. I didn't have any trouble until the 5th lap of the race, and even then, it wasn't bad, just an extra stomp or two on the pedals to get in.

I do miss the entertainment value that my old 747s provided when crashing into a barrier in front of a crowd becuase I couldn't get unclipped.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.