Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Have good, get give
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious about this. Would pulling a trailer in and of itself increase wear of anything in particular on a bike? Would it be ill advised for long term application on a carbon frame?

·
Administrator
13,010 Posts
Your tires obviously. And the rear qr's take a beating- it is good to use a cheap steel one instead.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
culdeus said:
Just curious about this. Would pulling a trailer in and of itself increase wear of anything in particular on a bike? Would it be ill advised for long term application on a carbon frame?
Depends on how you define excessive, I guess. Personally, I bought my bikes to ride, and if they can't do what I want, I bought the wrong ones. I'm confident my Atlantis would pull a trailer full of bowling balls forever, but it probably would last longer if I didn't use it for that.
In an absolutely unrelated (sort of) note, I'm constantly amazed at the number of people who laugh at steel, won't consider anything but carbon, then stay up at night worrying if the carbon will break if they use it or if it shouldn't be stored outside in cold weather or some damn thing.

·
Have good, get give
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I don't have a carbon frame now, but want one and couldn't justify getting it if I can't pull a trailer long term with no worries.

I don't get why the tires would wear more, but I'm not that smart.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
culdeus said:
I don't get why the tires would wear more, but I'm not that smart.
Sure you are. Rear tire pulling greater load when accelerating or climbing, front tire absorbing more energy when braking; both causing more tread wear.

·
The Cube
1,113 Posts
what do you ride now? if this is just a jump to carbon idea, could you keep the current bike too, to use for trailering? if this is a need a new bike, don't have one now idea, buy an aluminum, and use the spare money to buy a used hybrid or MTB cheap for trailering.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
If you're not hauling my daughter you'll be fine. Not having eyes in the back of my head couldn't see her rubbing her feet on the rear tire. I'd catch her occasionally when I could hear it, but once she did it on a steep climb that other less fit riders were walking. I couldn't talk at that moment but looking back it was hilarious.

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
Or not

JCavilia said:
Sure you are. Rear tire pulling greater load when accelerating or climbing, front tire absorbing more energy when braking; both causing more tread wear.
Well, maybe the heavier braking load on the front tire, but it would take a LOT of heavy braking to cause much rubber to scrub off. As to the rear tire, if the rider's power output doesn't change, then it's kind of hard to suggest that there would be faster rubber wear, since that is what causes tire wear. Just carrying weight does not significantly wear tires, since there is no scrubbing action to abrade the rubber.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The only wear and tear I can see after 8 years of pulling my son around has to be on me.
My alum frame seems fine and I haven't eaten any tires or anything so I'd say you should be fine.

Ekh.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i was told not to use my carbon bike. dunno if it matters, but if you don't have a carbon bike, keep the current for for pulling a trailer if you're concerned.

·
POGUE MAHONE
1,063 Posts
the only wear and tear I experienced in 8 years of trailer pulling was a bent frame.:eek: and a dislocated shoulder:D

that's what happens when you clip a pole at 30 klicks and the trailer does a barrel roll behind you :eek:

good thing they have a 3 point harness and the kiddo was wearing a helmet!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
There is major wear and tear on a bike from towing. It is recommended that you back away from the carbon.
Why don't you just buy a ferrari and hook up a third wheel RV to it while you are at it?

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
No major wear and tear on the frame. It isn't supporting any significant extra weight.

Why coudn't a Ferrari pull a trailer? The only significant wear item would be the clutch--- assuming weight distribution was adequately handled (as it is on a bike trailer).

Hooben said:
There is major wear and tear on a bike from towing. It is recommended that you back away from the carbon.
Why don't you just buy a ferrari and hook up a third wheel RV to it while you are at it?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I had a trailer....

I noticed increased brake pad wear. Make sure you have low enough gearing - 39X23 was a nut buster some days. Them kids get heavy!

Takmanjapan

·
Two wheels=freedom!
708 Posts
I use a BOB Yak and have been pulling it around for years with no issue, I primarily pull it with my 853 steel LeMond, 'cuz it's got a triple and can handle the extra weight up hills.

Never thought of putting it on the Colnago, sort of the whole "Ferrari with a trailer" thing.

BOB recommends that you DO NOT pull it with a rear suspension MTB, however. I was not sure about pulling it with a carbon bike as I was worried about the dropout bonding handling the torque.

A BOB, with it's single wheel, can put a lot of torque on the dropouts when not underway if the trailer is fully loaded.

I really like the BOB as once I'm at my destination, it pops off in a few seconds, and I have my bike to ride, without the whole rack thing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How about pulling a Trail-A-Bike on a carbon frame with a carbon seatpost? I've got a 50 pound daughter on a 35 pound Trail-A-Bike, and I feel queasy about attaching that to a carbon seatpost in a carbon frame. I'm thinking about swapping it for an aluminum seatpost for this application, but I'm still not sure about the stresses on the area where the post inserts into the frame. Perhaps I should just leave it on my steel commuting bike since we won't be going all that fast anyway.

·
I love to climb!
2,046 Posts
kcb203 said:
How about pulling a Trail-A-Bike on a carbon frame with a carbon seatpost? I've got a 50 pound daughter on a 35 pound Trail-A-Bike, and I feel queasy about attaching that to a carbon seatpost in a carbon frame. I'm thinking about swapping it for an aluminum seatpost for this application, but I'm still not sure about the stresses on the area where the post inserts into the frame. Perhaps I should just leave it on my steel commuting bike since we won't be going all that fast anyway.
I don't think trailers put much extra stress on a bike, or at least enough extra to hurt anything. Some of your wear items may wear a little more quickly due to the extra weight and the extra torque you use. So you may need to replace brake pads, chains, cassettes, tires a little sooner, but I can't see anything structural being hurt.

Even a carbon bike and seatpost should be ok. But, if you are worried about it, use aluminum or steel.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts