Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ti me up
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing my first tri in April. Fairly short distance (400m/20k/5k). Not really planning to make it a regular thing (I hate running, and my knees hate it even more than I do), so I don't really want to spend the money for a tri suit. I've heard that some folks do tris in their bike shorts. Anyone done this? Any comments on it? Does the chamois absorb too much water and slow you down in the water or get uncomfortable?

Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have never tried cycling and running in soaking wet chamois. I don't think it sounds like fun. You could test it out after washing your bike shorts...

You don't really need a pad for a 20K bike ride. You could do the whole thing in a bathing suit and be more comforable. If you have a pair of "Speedo" style shorts you can wear those, or a pair of spandex.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
125 Posts
633 said:
I'm doing my first tri in April. Fairly short distance (400m/20k/5k). Not really planning to make it a regular thing (I hate running, and my knees hate it even more than I do), so I don't really want to spend the money for a tri suit. I've heard that some folks do tris in their bike shorts. Anyone done this? Any comments on it? Does the chamois absorb too much water and slow you down in the water or get uncomfortable?

Thanks.
I've done a short tri(1/2 mile swim, 16 mile bike and 4 mile run) in just my speedo and that was okay. I don't think it is advisable to do it in bike shorts because of the chammy pad. It will get wet and full and cause alot of problems with chafing, even in a short distance. They do make tri-shorts that have a thinner pad that you could use, but if you didn't want to spend on a pair, I'd recommend doing a short tri in speedos, rather than in bike shorts.

Paul

·
Registered
39 Posts
my way

When I do a tri, I do it in biking style shorts but one's without the pad. I then have a gel seat cover that goes over the saddle. It's exactly like wearing a good pair of cycling shorts. Some say it add to much weight to the bicycle, but instead of having the pad sewn into your shorts its now just attached to the bike, and I don't think a 200gram saddle cover is going to affect your time that much.

·
check out the podium
535 Posts
Do what Wheelsucker did....

for best results. The chamois will get soaked but that itsn't the main problem. The problem involves chaffing around the edges of the chamois where it is stitched to the lycra and your sensitive bits down below: both front and back. I speak from experience. QR makes a saddle cover for under $20 that is a great investment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
tri shorts

I bought a pair of tri shorts last year from desoto I think? anyway I use them more biking than my other bike shorts that cost me a ton more. I think my tri shorts were about $25 bucks and were great for the transitions, very comfortable, the chamois dried quickly and since it is so thin I dont even notice it when I run. Now when I run in my bike shorts it drives me nuts. All in all I am very happy with the tri shorts that I bought...a very good investment...even for biking.

I hope this helped a bit!

t

·
Registered
101 Posts
scipiones said:
I bought a pair of tri shorts last year from desoto I think? anyway I use them more biking than my other bike shorts that cost me a ton more. I think my tri shorts were about $25 bucks and were great for the transitions, very comfortable, the chamois dried quickly and since it is so thin I dont even notice it when I run. Now when I run in my bike shorts it drives me nuts. All in all I am very happy with the tri shorts that I bought...a very good investment...even for biking.

I hope this helped a bit!

t
I have a pair of Nashbar shorts that have worked great for sprints. The pad is thin and I do not have a problem with chafing or water retention. I can't remember what model they are (about $25). I bought them as sacrificial MTB shorts. Also Velo wear sells a pair for about $25. When mine die I will buy some of those. You can where them all over.

I would not try to run in anything that has a thick pad.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try speedo/bike short combo

Try doing your swim in speedos, under the wet suit. Take the extra 30 seconds in T1 and throw your bike shorts over the speedos. Take an extra 30 seconds in T2 and take the shorts off again. Then run in whatever you want to run in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.