Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a carbon bike and I've recently noticed the there is some material that was added between the drop outs and where the skewer touches the frame.

This material is chipping and coming off - does anyone else have this issue? Is there anything that can coat this surface to avoid further damage to the frame?
:idea:

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Chipping material

rawsonstreet said:
I have a carbon bike and I've recently noticed the there is some material that was added between the drop outs and where the skewer touches the frame.

This material is chipping and coming off - does anyone else have this issue? Is there anything that can coat this surface to avoid further damage to the frame?
:idea:
Your "chipping material" sounds like paint to me. It is quite common for paint to chip off on dropouts, which is why they were often chrome plated on steel bikes. The problem with putting "something" between the QR and the frame is that it would still have to do a good job of gripping the frame, and typically that means serations, and that can result in paint chipping. Round and round we go. About all you can do is re-paint, but that might not hold up any better. As it is right now, you are the only person on the planet who knows that this is occuring, and it is not visible with the wheel installed. It doesn't present any functional problem, just cosmetic. As they say in the building trades: "You can't see it from the street." :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts