Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't.

I was in a meeting a couple years ago with my boss and another coworker, and my boss asked me if I talked about work with my wife. Without even thinking about it, I said "I don't talk about my job because I don't want to encourage her to talk about hers."

I don't care to talk about work when I'm out of the office. The less I think about it, the better.

I mean, sometimes if I do something really cool or say something funny in a meeting that kills everyone in it or something is really, really farked up, yeah, I'll bring it up. Otherwise, no thanks.

Conversely, my wife doesn't stop. Long, detailed stories with longer backstories that are only barely relevant--if at all--and minutiae about things only her coworkers could possibly appreciate. Again, if it's something truly out of the ordinary that's fine. But the day-to-day stuff just kills me.

Is this normal? Or is it a man/woman thing? Or is it an indication about how we feel about our respective jobs? Or am I just a huge *******? Should I have started a pole?

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
my wife and I speak but it is usually discussing what idiot / a holes our clients are

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
My wife and I talk about work quite a bit. But she is a dietitian and I am a Professor with a PhD in Nutrition. Typically I give her insight into some of the latest research and she reminds me why I don't work with a patient population........

But to Roebuck, I don't really like hearing about her office drama stuff unless it is extra ridiculous or funny.

I also like hearing about the new record for blood lipids, A1c, and fasting blood glucose. The records are 2200mg/dl for trigs (confirmed on a second visit), 13.1 A1c (not secondarily confirmed), and I think the fasting BG was over 400.

That and the ex meth user who couldn't understand why he was gaining weight until he told her that he was drinking a GALLON OF WHOLE MILK A DAY. He didn't know that milk has calories.......

·
Registered
7,684 Posts
We are both lawyers and talk work all the time. We are in different specialties, but we've been able to help each other out in thinking through issues we've encountered. It's also helpful to have someone to vent work frustrations to.

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
I don't.

I was in a meeting a couple years ago with my boss and another coworker, and my boss asked me if I talked about work with my wife. Without even thinking about it, I said "I don't talk about my job because I don't want to encourage her to talk about hers."

I don't care to talk about work when I'm out of the office. The less I think about it, the better.

I mean, sometimes if I do something really cool or say something funny in a meeting that kills everyone in it or something is really, really farked up, yeah, I'll bring it up. Otherwise, no thanks.

Conversely, my wife doesn't stop. Long, detailed stories with longer backstories that are only barely relevant--if at all--and minutiae about things only her coworkers could possibly appreciate. Again, if it's something truly out of the ordinary that's fine. But the day-to-day stuff just kills me.

Is this normal? Or is it a man/woman thing? Or is it an indication about how we feel about our respective jobs? Or am I just a huge *******? Should I have started a pole?
little bit...she talks about it more than I do. Most of my days are just consumed with writing, analyzing data, and patient interactions. Patient stories can be quite entertaining...
Shes' a federal office manager...and for the most part has a lot of inept employees who gave up on performing their duties well years ago. They also like to make a lot of drama...almost daily....which she then has to deal with. She really wishes firing was easier at the federal level...she would totally clean house.

other than that, we try to keep it to after work plans, weekend trips, the dog, and endless house repairs and improvements we do all summer long. I'm almost done painting the exterior...then on a new kitchen faucet and replacing the last 2 solid pane windows before winter hits and skiing season starts..

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
Ditto on Dr. R. said. I would ask a general "how was work today" question and get every meaningless office drama story in the world. The only good ones were when the women way overshared their personal issues. I got details about meetings, issues, new techniques, etc from her every evening at dinner.

One evening at dinner several years ago she was talking about work and I guess I wasn't faking well enough and she complained I didn't care. I replied that she didn't even know what I did at work. She said she did and I encouraged her to tell me and she couldn't tell us one thing I had been working on. At that time, I was doing some really cool stuff. My kids knew what I was doing but not my wife. I was just her work story listener.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
We talk about work every night. It's often the primary subject as its what we just spent an entire day at. Unless of course the subject is either my idiot of a nephew who's traveling in SE Asia, or our families in general. We don't discuss cycling much, that's exclusively my activity and I think is seen as "recreation" thus not as worthy.

We also work in similar fields, my wife being a scenic artist at a major TV network, while I work as a lighting director in a performing arts center. We met at a dinner theater in 1978 as BTW.

Thus I can relate and understand her problems and as well understand the terminology used, she likewise, but like most males I have had a struggle to just simply listen and commiserate as opposed to fixing a problem, that I couldn't do in any event.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
I leave work at work when I walk out the door. It is not my passion in life, it's a job. She wants to come home and tell me about her day even though I don't want to hear about it. Mostly it's just filler with little interesting stuff (to me). I think that's the nature of men versus women though.

·
Registered
943 Posts
but like most males I have had a struggle to just simply listen and commiserate as opposed to fixing a problem, that I couldn't do in any event.
Hahaha, I told my fiance when we first got together that if she doesn't want my help fixing a problem, don't tell me about it.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
my wife tells me all about her day, she, on the other hand, is not that interested in hearing about mine. Which is fine with me

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,283 Posts
Wifey doesn't work. I'm the sole breadwinner, though she does oversee our interglactic financial holdings. The only time I talk about work is if she wants to see a movie and I tell her I know all about it and it sucks.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
Wifey doesn't work. I'm the sole breadwinner, though she does oversee our interglactic financial holdings. The only time I talk about work is if she wants to see a movie and I tell her I know all about it and it sucks.
She has her hands full just taking care of you!!!!!!!!! (and keeping you out of trouble)

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I leave work at work when I walk out the door. It is not my passion in life, it's a job. She wants to come home and tell me about her day even though I don't want to hear about it. Mostly it's just filler with little interesting stuff (to me). I think that's the nature of men versus women though.
you are lucky. Mine follows me home, disrupts my sleep, makes me cranky

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
All the time. It's hard to listen to his stories sometimes, as they are excruciatingly technical in nature. He probably doesn't want to hear mine, as they do tend to involve the office drama, but that's been easier to avoid lately.

Some of the stories he likes, such as our stoic, anti-social computer genius co-worker getting sent over to India for two months. Or the political/religious discussions that crop up.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
Yep. I tend to bring work home with me, and my lovely wife allows me to rant on various topics about the workplace. Basically, my role within the company is constantly behind the curve, which puts an intense amount of pressure on me...to the point where others within the company have said that there's no way one guy can do all of what I do, or that I've got the hardest job in the company. It's affecting me physically, honestly. So, it's really nice to have a little holdout of venting when my wife gets home.

·
Registered
20,729 Posts
I don't. When I leave work, I leave it. Something really big had to have happened for me to talk about.
I'm an engineer. Nothing really interesting to talk about, without long boring technical explanations. And I definitely don't care to share any office drama. Or b!tch about problems, which luckily is extremely rare.
She owns a yoga studio. I usually get a 5min run down of her day. Which is enough for both of us.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,287 Posts
Is this normal? Or is it a man/woman thing?
It is a normal gendered pattern of interaction in our society. The standard way of viewing this divide (in one sentence) is that men tend to use language instrumentally (to get something done) whereas women are more likely to use language expressively (to share and reinforce social connections.)

So yeah, normal.

As for me, on rare occasion. As did my wife when she worked. Overall patterns contain quite a bit of variation.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
My wife is a stay at home mom. I hear plenty about what's going on with the kids, and that is fine. My son has special needs and asks every night what I did at work. My daughter often asks what projects I am working on. I don't get into too much detail.

We have a cycling club at work and what I hate is when we are on a Saturday ride and one of my bosses starts talking shop. I certainly do not ride to think about work.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
He doesn't understand my work, I don't understand his so it's just as easy just to say we've had a bad or good day and leave it at that. Our biggest topic of conversation when we commute home together is what to have for dinner.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts