Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Nishiki Sport a while back that had been upgraded to an 8 speed. It's a great bike and I love riding it, but I think it would be cool if it had the original 5 or 6 speed setup. Do you ever think about going back to 5 or 6 instead of 8,9, or 10?

-Links

·
Unlabeled
3,729 Posts
links0311 said:
I bought a Nishiki Sport a while back that had been upgraded to an 8 speed. It's a great bike and I love riding it, but I think it would be cool if it had the original 5 or 6 speed setup. Do you ever think about going back to 5 or 6 instead of 8,9, or 10?

-Links

I have what we called a "10-speed" 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer. The 5 speed freewheel on it is Suntour a touring model 14-17-22-28-38 and the crankset I'm using is a Sugino Mighty Tour with 50-34. I can climb anything and also spin at over 35 mph. Big jumps between gears aren't a problem after single speeding for awhile. I have 7 speed indexed shifting on 2 bikes, and it is much nicer.

·
Overequipped, underlegged
800 Posts
I have an early ninenties trek that came with 7 speed 105 with downtube shifters. I upgraded to ultegra nine shortly after i inherited, but when i got my Ultegra 10 giant i reverted back to all the original parts.
shure its nice to have brifters, specially when riding in traffic... but there's just this really awesome something about the 7-speed dt 105. i wouldn't dream of upgrading.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.