Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Hammer
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked the weather forecast when I got up this morning and it showed rain late morning into the day. I'm not an early morning person so I knew if I rode I would be getting wet. I had planed for 50 miles but cut it to 25 miles knowing I'd get wet. Sometimes it's fun getting wet. What do you do ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDnAxZHrhR8

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Checked the weather forecast when I got up this morning and it showed rain late morning into the day. I'm not an early morning person so I knew if I rode I would be getting wet. I had planed for 50 miles but cut it to 25 miles knowing I'd get wet. Sometimes it's fun getting wet. What do you do ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDnAxZHrhR8
I check the wx radar first. If it's definitely going to rain, I don't go out. If there's a good chance the rain will miss my area, I'll go out and take my chances. Once in a hundred times, I'll get rained on. If so, it'll be on the commuter with fenders and 28 mm tires, my "rain bike." Might be fun getting wet on that bike, but on the non-fendered bike, water flings up on my jersey back, and flows into the seat tube, collecting on the BB. Ignore it, and the seat post gets stuck in the seat tube and the BB loses lube and goes south. :nono:

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
If I think I can get a ride in and avoid the rain, I'll go, but I'll stay close top home.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
nope, I never intentionally ride in rain.

if I get caught out on the road and it opens up, fine...I'll deal with it, otherwise I'm staying dry.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I usually won't start a ride knowing I'm going to get rained on. However, this May it was so rainy here in NJ, I was getting very frustrated with lack of riding, so I broke down and just did a 100% rain ride. It was probably worth it at that time, but I probably will go back to trying to avoid the rain

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Personally in the warmer months I don't mind the wet so much as the greater likelihood of flats and a bike that will get dirty.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
depends on the time of year. If I nixed the ride due to rain from Nov-March, half the rides would get nixed

but our winter rain is not like rain outside the PNW. usually a fine drizzle which hardly makes a rider wet. and most clubs require all riders on club rides to have full fenders with extra mudflaps on the ends

bikes are not hurt by rain. salmon brakes pads are a good idea though

every winter MTB session is a mudfest too.just normal here and the mud is never deep. club has a fire hose at the trail head to clean bikes and legs before heading to the pub

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
I usually won't start a ride knowing I'm going to get rained on. However, this May it was so rainy here in NJ, I was getting very frustrated with lack of riding, so I broke down and just did a 100% rain ride. It was probably worth it at that time, but I probably will go back to trying to avoid the rain
Ditto. Also Jersey. I'll bag rides due to rain but I've been rain riding more. I don't mind riding in the rain, but I don't do it more often because I have to clean my bike each ride and because my relationship to traffic changes. The car issue isn't too bad on a weekend, early ride, but it's noticeable in heavier traffic times. It's a little white knuckle some times.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I plan my rides to avoid rain. Its only in races or when the unexpected happens that I get caught in one.
I've won 2 races in my day. One of them was when the skies opened up on the final lap and everyone else slowed down, so I attacked. I took some risk on the corners but never felt like I was losing traction and solo'd to an easy win.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Timely thread.

Like others, I will not go out if I know it will rain, but I'll try to get some miles in between rains.

No rain on radar when I left the house today; however the sky began to darken as I rode. I decided to abbreviate the planned ride and headed for the barn. About 2.5 out from the house, the bottom dropped out. The wife was awaiting "the call", but by the time she would have arrived at my location, I would have been soaked anyway. I rode on in without issue other than being drenched. Given recent heat/humidity, it actually felt OK.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
I've won 2 races in my day. One of them was when the skies opened up on the final lap and everyone else slowed down, so I attacked. I took some risk on the corners but never felt like I was losing traction and solo'd to an easy win.
Good show of bravery and grit, doing the unexpected in battle! Sun Tzu would approve! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
873 Posts
I can't get myself to leave the garage if it's raining. But I kind of like it when it hits mid ride, so I take my chances.

Got sprinkled on today for about 20 minutes, temps were around 77 and humid so it was delightful.

Now I have to go wash my bike.

·
Banned
748 Posts
My riding days are limited so yes, if its going to rain I still get to ride!!

Reactions: proclaimer888

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
Yep, I'll ride in the rain. If it's a good day for a ride I'm not going to let a little rain spoil it.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Yeah, I whip out the beater - still light and fast, but no fenders - and wear the right gear. Fortunately, it doesn't rain much in my area. Too much rain riding wreaks havoc on the component$.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
I can't get myself to leave the garage if it's raining. But I kind of like it when it hits mid ride, so I take my chances.

Got sprinkled on today for about 20 minutes, temps were around 77 and humid so it was delightful.

Now I have to go wash my bike.
Yeah man, delightful many times! A bracing cool off in the middle of the ride! By the time the ride's over, you're dry. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts