Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not even sure if "theme" is the right word, but every year I try to incorporate something different into my rides, either to motivate me to explore new areas or to just add some interest and variety.

This year, my theme is to ride every dirt road within 20 miles of home.

Last year, my theme was to offer up a "high-five" to every jogger I encountered going in the opposite direction on my side of the road, and I kept track of how often they would reciprocate (it was about 75%)

The year before that, I sought out as many bike-friendly food stops as I could find. In previous years, I stopped to photograph as many species of road-kill as I could. I've also been shooting helmet-cam videos of my favorite descents in the area. And I have an on-going hobby of photographing and documenting all of the roadside historical markers that I come across.

Just wondering what others try to incorporate into their rides.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
i consciously try to embrace the moment. i remind myself what the angel said to jesus in the last temptation of christ:

kazantzakis said:
here is the kingdom of heaven: earth. here is eternity: each moment that passes. moments aren't enough for you? if so, you must learn that eternity will not be either.
there's one point on my usual ride where i often think of that passage. i'm rounding the lake at full speed in the big ring, along the long curve, and the road directs me to the west, often into the bright sun. sometimes i say out loud, "this moment ... this one. this is heaven..."

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
My rides are designed around beautiful roads that give me peace of mind, contains hills and improve my climbing and endurance. Speed on the straights is important but more of a secondary goal. This year I want to up my long rides by about 10% in length and get in a few rides that result in 10,000 feet of climbing. Last year most of my rides topped out in the 8,000-9.000 foot range.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,937 Posts
My theme is to try to make it home...

I succeed about 95% of the time.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I'm confused, by themes do you mean goals?

The standard themes:
Avoid getting killed
Stay relatively skinny
Have fun
Justify the buying of bike crap
Crank it up to 400 watts and dominate n00bz

2017 specific:
Get better at mountain biking
Do more groad racing
Crosstrain more running and swimming in
Buy a bunch of bike crap. Specific crap TBD.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Not getting hit by old drunk guys in minivans is my theme. It's worked since late 2013.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
The same goal as every year--attempt to beat last years entire power data curve. It keeps me from getting lazy
I'm not even sure if "theme" is the right word, but every year I try to incorporate something different into my rides, either to motivate me to explore new areas or to just add some interest and variety.

This year, my theme is to ride every dirt road within 20 miles of home.

Last year, my theme was to offer up a "high-five" to every jogger I encountered going in the opposite direction on my side of the road, and I kept track of how often they would reciprocate (it was about 75%)

The year before that, I sought out as many bike-friendly food stops as I could find. In previous years, I stopped to photograph as many species of road-kill as I could. I've also been shooting helmet-cam videos of my favorite descents in the area. And I have an on-going hobby of photographing and documenting all of the roadside historical markers that I come across.

Just wondering what others try to incorporate into their rides.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts