Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
had it in the ear before
Joined
·
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
butter. I live in Florida so I've always kept my butter in the fridge but then it's always too hard to spread and my memaw from PA keeps her's in her cabinet so I've started doin that the past few days and it's workin out better.

fruit. such as apples and plums, I hate when my wife puts these in the refridgerator, they don't keep longer they just get mushy and cold, leave them on the counter.

Red Wine. please don't put the cab in the fridge, i've heard some people like it chilled, gutfiddle is not one of them.

Sauce that doesn't say refridgerate after opening like worchestershire and soy that never goes bad and doesnt need to be cold, I leave it out, wife puts it in it's a constant battle...

basically this has turned into a wife rant, sorry.
 

·
Mehpic
Joined
·
8,162 Posts
worchestershire sauce does say refridgerate on it, but i dont. heck, I don't even like white wine chilled. red? never.

some fruit lastst longer in the fridge- bananas, for example.

chose your battles- especially with a preggers.
 

·
midnight melon mounter
Joined
·
6,621 Posts
With most of this stuff it doesn't really matter. But tomatoes... tomatoes are ruined in the fridge.
 

·
had it in the ear before
Joined
·
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2cflyr said:
worchestershire sauce does say refridgerate on it, but i dont. heck, I don't even like white wine chilled. red? never.

some fruit lastst longer in the fridge- bananas, for example.

chose your battles- especially with a preggers.
my Lea&Perrins doesnt have refridgerate anywhere on the bottle. it does have a best if used by date though. I like Chardonnay and Pinot Grigio served chilled but thats about it. I'd never gripe about this to my baby's momma tho, that's what the lounge is fer!
 

·
Steaming piles of opinion
Joined
·
10,503 Posts
My Nana always had butter on the counter. I mostly don't have butter, but when I do it's in the fridge. (It's a baking supply, not a foostuff, so spreadability doesn't matter.) As long as it's airtight and below melting, out is fine.

Wine has it's own special fridge. Contrary to popular use, most red is served too warm, and most white too cold. Proper temps (roughly mid 50's for red) are a very good thing. Robert Mondavi was known to slip an ice cube or two into a restaurant wine served too warm - for him, watered down was the lesser sin.

Fruit: Yeah, counter, usually. Some exceptions.

Non-fridge sauces: In the fridge, simply because it's the most convenient location to hunt for condiments.
 

·
I Am a Meat Popsicle
Joined
·
222 Posts
butter fridge,

apples fridge (they do keep longer that way)

peanut butter, fridge

vinegars, soys, cupboard

Red Wine, out of wine cooler top shelf, about 60 degrees

my 2 cents...
 

·
had it in the ear before
Joined
·
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alex-in-Evanston said:
With most of this stuff it doesn't really matter. But tomatoes... tomatoes are ruined in the fridge.
thank you! keep the tomatoes out of the fridge unless they are sliced with cukes, vidalias and mixed w/ vinegar.
 

·
had it in the ear before
Joined
·
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jaegermeister269 said:
butter fridge,

apples fridge (they do keep longer that way)

peanut butter, fridge

vinegars, soys, cupboard

Red Wine, out of wine cooler top shelf, about 60 degrees

my 2 cents...
peanut butter?!? why?
 

·
Moderatus Puisne
Joined
·
15,886 Posts
gut...

for a country boy you sure are smart.

Americans are for some reason obsessed with refridgeration. Lots of things don't need it.

Butter does not go in the 'fridge, unless it is so warm that it's too soft to deal with on the shelf. 40 degree butter is impossible to spread.

Fruit -- fruits with a hard peel get bad faster in the refridgerator. Don't 'fridge limes, lemons, bananas, etc. Fruits with a soft peel like tomatoes will keep longer if cool, but it doesn't have to be COLD. Like, in a grocery store, there is a dairy walk-in, at 39-41 degrees, and a produce one, at 45-50.

Most red wine should be that same kinda cool -- if it's a 90 degree day then you can go ahead and fridge it, otherwise, just the counter is fine.

Hard cheese doesn't need to be refridgerated if you're going to eat it in a couple of days.

Soy sauce, mustard, etc don't need it...
 

·
Mehpic
Joined
·
8,162 Posts
gutfiddle said:
peanut butter?!? why?

seriously! someone owes us an answer!!!

//as for the butter question, for us it's seasonal- fall, winter, spring- not in. summer- in- it'll melt sitting on the counter in the summer.
 

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
Joined
·
10,083 Posts
gutfiddle said:
butter. I live in Florida so I've always kept my butter in the fridge but then it's always too hard to spread and my memaw from PA keeps her's in her cabinet so I've started doin that the past few days and it's workin out better. In the butten dish on the counter

fruit. such as apples and plums, I hate when my wife puts these in the refridgerator, they don't keep longer they just get mushy and cold, leave them on the counter. Refrig

Red Wine. please don't put the cab in the fridge, i've heard some people like it chilled, gutfiddle is not one of them. You mean a bottle is not single serving size

Sauce that doesn't say refridgerate after opening like worchestershire and soy that never goes bad and doesnt need to be cold, I leave it out, wife puts it in it's a constant battle...
She is about to have your off spring, cut her some slacker you heartless bastid

basically this has turned into a wife rant, sorry.


there
 

·
Anti-Hero
Joined
·
10,343 Posts
Butter- take it out of the fridge when you start cooking so that by supper time it's soft enough to spread

Fruit- fridge. I don't know what type of apples you get, but mine taste crispier when I keep them cold.

Sauce- case by case basis. If it's sugary, I'll usually follow directions. Things like mustard and soy sauce will never go bad, so it stays out.

Red wine- hell no @ the fridge

Peanut butter- the natural stuff says to put it in the fridge after you open it. I used to, but lately I've been living dangerously...
 

·
had it in the ear before
Joined
·
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Argentius said:
for a country boy you sure are smart.

Americans are for some reason obsessed with refridgeration. Lots of things don't need it.

...
when i lived in Poland nuthin was refridgerated and ice was a luxury, I guess I got used to it.

//especially vodka, i can't figure out why uhmericans put likker in the freezer!
 

·
had it in the ear before
Joined
·
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Andrea138 said:
Peanut butter- the natural stuff says to put it in the fridge after you open it. I used to, but lately I've been living dangerously...
sumthin about you, natural peanut butter and living dangerously that makes my heart beat quicken.
 

·
I Am a Meat Popsicle
Joined
·
222 Posts
2cflyr said:
seriously! someone owes us an answer!!!

//as for the butter question, for us it's seasonal- fall, winter, spring- not in. summer- in- it'll melt sitting on the counter in the summer.
For some reason, I like the way it tastes cold, I know that's strange but I dig it that way

Now, the big question,

how do you like your cake, room temperature, or refrigerated??????

I grew up never eating a store bought cake and my mom always kept the homemade ones in the fridge until consumption......
 

·
had it in the ear before
Joined
·
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Red Wine. please don't put the cab in the fridge, i've heard some people like it chilled, gutfiddle is not one of them. You mean a bottle is not single serving size ~Jup

we buy it by the box, thanks for playing.
 

·
had it in the ear before
Joined
·
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jaegermeister269 said:
For some reason, I like the way it tastes cold, I know that's strange but I dig it that way

Now, the big question,

how do you like your cake, room temperature, or refrigerated??????

I grew up never eating a store bought cake and my mom always kept the homemade ones in the fridge until consumption......
cake goes in a cake glass thingy on the counter not in the fridge, except the top of our wedding cake went in the freezer for a week until we realized it wont be worth a damn in a year anyway so we went ahead and et it.
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top