Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
no matter what you do knocks your equipment and you everytime you see him on a ride? Well Ido. He seems to be a super nice guy but everytime he sees my bike, he knocks something about it. If it's not the handlebars, it's the tires, if it's not the tires, it's underseat bag, etc., etc. And he doesn't really give suggestions as to what would be better than what I have, just that what I have sucks in his opinion. But I did a lot of research on my bike and got a good fit and a good price on it from what I can tell and although I'm sorta new to this, I don't seem to be appreciating his degradation. Anyone else have someone like this? Is he just trying to be helpful in some way or is he just being a pri** to boost his own ego?

·
Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
How do you convince yourself that purchasing phenomenally priced bikes and bike parts is worthwhile when there is often so little difference between what they and cheaper parts can do for you? I'd say putting down anything you see that is different or of lesser value is high on that list. It could just a competitive aspect of his personality as well. Either way it's petty and it's an annoyance, but screw it. There will always be something better and there will usually be something worse. No one else rides your bike so no one else has to worry about it.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,364 Posts
Call him Lance. It gets 'em everytime.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Just start calling him "pencil dick poseur" and you won't have to worry about his comments long.

My tendency is to take everything as a complement. "Yeah, they're not tubulars but they have less rolling resistance and they saved me megabuks!" "Yeah, they're cheap and heavy but they feel good." "I thought about it, but I met a guy who had one break and he had to have it pulled out of his @$$ at the ER." "You realize this is just my heavy training bike." "Don't you have something better to do?" "Did you realize your shorts are transparent in the sun?" "You should have that mole looked at. My aunt had one like that and when they finally got to it she was toast." "Is that the wheelset that just got recalled?" "I've never told you this before, but really don't mind you being gay."

A bit of this and they'll be gone.

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
I try never talking about my bikes unless people ask me directly. Simple as that. Most people don't care that you've got X $'s invested into your bike.. or that your seat weighes 5 grams less than the one on your friends bike..

As mentioned already.. every sport has these people.. Many of us lust after new bling for our bikes but many don't.. As long as you're happy with your stuff then you're all set!

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
tell you what, if you are fast... no one says a thing. One dude a few years back... rode with us. He was the US National Champion in 50+ triathlon... and on National Team... he would ride a mtn bike with smooth tires with the race team and keep up just fine. Past few years, however, he switched to cross and now cant keep up on that... so...

All Im saying is that ... all you have to do is kick his ass once or twice and he will move to someone else to pick on. There are always stories about a "fred" that shows up and kicks everyone's ass. Be that fred, and the fred will be dead. (attempted Pulp Fiction reference here... )

·
Banned
270 Posts
I agree , he has low self esteem , but he who cares what he says , or has to tell it to others is a close second . Really , why do you care , or even ride w/ or near him ?????

For what it's worth , I just bought a colnago master w/ saronni paint .. I went with the carbon fork and hear all the lame comments . I hear them and smile .

I'm suprised you got any love here on the topic . This forum is notorious for the folks who love to point out what saddle is wrong color or tape , mixing groups , riding shimano on an italian bike ( I agree w/ that one lol )

Ride what u like or can afford . either way , RIDE !!!!!!

·
Worker Ant
199 Posts
+1

don't forget when someone points out that your stem is turned the wrong way, i get that one a lot. all i say is i'm not as flexible as a 12 yr old Chineese gymnast anymore!!
i'd say unless he's willing to buy you the "upgrades" he thinks you need then tell him to piss off, better yet, just ignore him completely don't acknowledge he even exists.

·
Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
gobike1 said:
Do you know an experienced rider who...no matter what you do knocks your equipment and you everytime you see him on a ride?
No, and I'm glad I don't. I had a couple or riders on much nicer bikes than mine tell me, 'Nice bike,' at stop lights.

gobike1 said:
If it's not the handlebars, it's the tires, if it's not the tires, it's underseat bag, etc., etc.
Handlebars? Seat bag? Unless you've got rusty Schwinn Stingray handlebars and your mother's old purse rubbing on your rear tire for a seat bag the guy's a fool or a moron. I'm not sure if I'd even bother with a comeback. Sometimes it's better to just let these gasbags empty themselves, smile, wait for the awkward pause then say, "Thanks," and ride off.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
Hey man, my second bike was a Schwinn Stingray... with a spedometer. And I was WAY cool...even if the handlebars were a little rusty. The Foxtails never looked so good.

I ride with a bunch of team-jersey models and they think I look funny in my Pac NW commuter uniform. I shrug and say F-em. You can never win with guys like that.

It's like when I was in the 5th grade and I showed up for the first day of school wearing red and black Michael Jackson/Jordan inspired clothes and parachute pants...but over the summer the Surf T shirt became popular and I didn't know. I got teased for dressing in hand-me-downs from Lamont's...

So I went to Hawaii with my family and picked up a Maui and Sons T-Shirt so I wouldn't get picked on about my clothes by the "cool" (rich) kids.

I showed up at school in my new shirt and guess what...
I got teased for trying to dress like the cool kids.

The moral is...You can't win so....

F-'em!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.