Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I volunteered at one of the SAG stops on the Death Ride. The whole experience was awesome from the crew that we had, to the frenzy of riders, to the temperamental weather - it was all good. However, I was puzzled that they only provided us one box of potatoes to serve. We cooked the potatoes and set them out; they were delicious and then they were gone. Many riders asked us if we had potatoes and I had to say no (I hate saying no, especially to someone who worked so hard to get up that mountain and not have something you might want or expect). I am a cyclist and personally, I really enjoy potatoes (with salt, of course) at the SAG stops. What is the general consensus? Do you like potatoes on your rides or could you do without?

· Misfit Toy
23,437 Posts
Potatoes are one of the perfect bike foods. ACTC usually has 'taters at some of their stops during the Tierra Bella, seasoned with salt and I think rosemary. When I was an assistant instructor in their bike academy, one of the guys would usually have a baked potato wrapped in foil in his jersey pocket for the snack stop.

· Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
I haven't eaten a potato in over 5 years. I don't miss them and would not eat one on a bike ride.

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,358 Posts
Potatos...you can mash em, you can bake em....I likee :)

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Some centuries in the Northeast traditionally serve baked potatoes with a variety of toppings at the post-ride feed. Great carbo reloader.

· Registered
405 Posts
I have gotten away from eating potatoes, I like them but they liked me to much and hung around a long time in all the wrong spots, so as a carb is concerned I had to drop that one.

I guess when you are young, you can eat whatever, but as you get older you have to pick your carbs carefully!

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
They could definitely have used more of them at the deathride. The ones I got at the base of Monitor were still frozen when they put them out. A little hard to get down but worth it.

· Registered
580 Posts
benchpress265 said:
I have gotten away from eating potatoes, I like them but they liked me to much and hung around a long time in all the wrong spots, so as a carb is concerned I had to drop that one.

I guess when you are young, you can eat whatever, but as you get older you have to pick your carbs carefully!
Last time I checked there have historically been plenty of skinny Irish...

It's not the potatoes, Bob.

Still, to each their own. I'd love me some baked sweet potatoes or yams on long ride...sounds like a plan for later in the week for this kid. I'm one of those "caked in salt" sweaters...need me some more electrolyters.:idea:

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep. Definitely not enough on the D.R., but we were able to cook ours and at least had enough to fill a tray, but they were quickly gone. I do love them on a ride... we did a 60 miler yesterday and stopped at this po-dunk gas station that had awesome potato wedges, nice and salty too. yum. :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.