Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious and i finally thought to ask. Do you need the nut that threads down a presta valve and tightens agains the rim?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
no. some argue it helps prevent rattling and makes it easier to pump up tires with low pressure and short valves... others argue just the opposite.

·
turtle killer.
1,854 Posts
I use unthreaded stems.. so.. nope! Same for the threaded spares... Only exception is on my tubeless setups, where the nut provides the needed pressure to seal the hole

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you tighten the nut too tight you will tear the inner tube where the stem connects to it.

Either take off the nuts or leave them loose.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing since the last 3 flats I've had were small leaks right at the base of the valve stem. I never use the stem nut and maybe I push up too hard with the pump head. Think the stem nut might help keep the stem from pushing up.
Either that or stop buying crappy Specialized tubes. :)

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
I use them. They DO keep the valve stems from rattling on my bike.
Plus they secure the stem while pumping them up too.
Do what works for you.

·
Registered
726 Posts
How can a valve stem rattle when it has 100 + lbs of pressure pushing on it to hold it in place? I have never used the nuts in 30 years and was overjoyed when they invented threadless valve stems.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,421 Posts
They make it easy to determine who the "noobs" are.

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
How can a valve stem rattle when it has 100 + lbs of pressure pushing on it to hold it in place? I have never used the nuts in 30 years and was overjoyed when they invented threadless valve stems.
I don't know, but you're welcome to come ride my bike and tell me.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Yes, if you have short valve stems, you probably at least want to take one along with you on a ride so you can get that initial pump of air in the tube following a repair. If you have long stems, you probably don't need one but if you do install them on, you will have to have them firmly tight to keep them from rattling. I use 50 -60cm length valves and don't need them except on my road tubeless wheels.
MarvinK said:
no. some argue it helps prevent rattling and makes it easier to pump up tires with low pressure and short valves... others argue just the opposite.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Gas law.

siclmn said:
How can a valve stem rattle when it has 100 + lbs of pressure pushing on it to hold it in place?
It can rattle because it doesn't have 100 + lbs of pressure pushing on it. "100 lbs of pressure" means 100 lbs per square inch (psi). A valve stem is about 0.25" in diameter, making its area is Pi x r x r = 3.14 x 0.125 x 0.125 = 0.049 square inches. So at 100 psi, there's 100 x 0.049 = 4.9 lbs of pressure on a valve stem. That's not a whole lot of pressure, so it can rattle.

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
I don't use the nuts, heck I don't even use caps on my presta valves. Living on the edge, I know.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I usually put a piece of plastic that covers the whole valve stem to keep it from rattling. Its a pain to put on, but I prefer it to the washer.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I throw my nuts away!

Oh....er..wait...I didn't mea...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts