Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Call me a Fred
Joined
·
16,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to paint some rooms and I don't think that I will repaint the ceilings. I have redone ceilings in the past and never really noticed a difference. I do notice wall painting.

Does anyone paint ceilings?
 

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
Joined
·
7,746 Posts
MikeBiker said:
I'm getting ready to paint some rooms and I don't think that I will repaint the ceilings. I have redone ceilings in the past and never really noticed a difference. I do notice wall painting.

Does anyone paint ceilings?

I don't mean to sound dense. I assume you aren't changing colors? Then no. Repainting is about dings and scratches and stuff (assuming no color change) and it wouldn't be missed.

Even with a color change, sometimes ceilings look cool in a lighter contrast color, but then you've got to tape off the ceiling and do a good job painting to make it look good.
 

·
Resident Dutchbag
Joined
·
11,864 Posts
Do you smoke? If not, there's no reason to paint your ceiling, it's a waste of time and a damn annoying chore.
 

·
In need of sock puppet
Joined
·
9,420 Posts
Icky pale pink/white ceilings at casa d'Cooper = repaint. Time for renting scaffolding, the living room is over 20' tall.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
MikeBiker said:
I'm getting ready to paint some rooms and I don't think that I will repaint the ceilings. I have redone ceilings in the past and never really noticed a difference. I do notice wall painting.

Does anyone paint ceilings?
In my first house I painted the bedroom and didn't realize you normally keep ceilings white--I painted the whole thing the same light blue color as the walls. Boy I felt dumb when I found out that isn't how you normally do it.
 

·
In need of sock puppet
Joined
·
9,420 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
In my first house I painted the bedroom and didn't realize you normally keep ceilings white--I painted the whole thing the same light blue color as the walls. Boy I felt dumb when I found out that isn't how you normally do it.
It can really alter a room unpredictably to mono-tone it the same color as the walls. We're using deep rich colors throughout our house, and a clean bright white on the ceilings, edging and door trim frames the color very nicely.

FWIW, Mohair chair liked our color scheme. He's a smart guy.
 

·
gazing from the shadows
Joined
·
27,287 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Boy I felt dumb when I found out that isn't how you normally do it.
Same color on the ceiling makes the room feel taller. It's a valid choice, though one that many people avoid.
 

·
Not Banned
Joined
·
49,013 Posts
see I have nice picture moulding

that creates the border between wall and lid. so my ceiling color actually extends down about 15" onto the wall
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
If your house is over 50 years old, the ceilings should be bright white.

I can appreciate folks wanting to paint their ceilings a lighter color than the wall, but white just looks better.
 

·
Back from the dead
Joined
·
20,626 Posts
thinkcooper said:
It can really alter a room unpredictably to mono-tone it the same color as the walls. We're using deep rich colors throughout our house, and a clean bright white on the ceilings, edging and door trim frames the color very nicely.

FWIW, Mohair chair liked our color scheme. He's a smart guy.
Deep rich colors rule. Whites, off whites, earth tones, etc., are boring. Your home definitely needs to be rid of the pinkish hue!

As for your ceilings, Coop, that's what kids are for! Send them up on ladders and don't let them down until they are done. (I can't wait to see what your daughter comes up with!).
 

·
In need of sock puppet
Joined
·
9,420 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Deep rich colors rule. Whites, off whites, earth tones, etc., are boring. Your home definitely needs to be rid of the pinkish hue!

As for your ceilings, Coop, that's what kids are for! Send them up on ladders and don't let them down until they are done. (I can't wait to see what your daughter comes up with!).
My kids are already a little high. No ladders needed.

If left to her own devices the ceiling would likely be a dreamy yet blood drenched Juxtapoz nee Magritte pop-surreal interpretation of teen angst.

We need to do another Scruz area ride soon (the week before Solvang maybe), we need to grab and post a photograph of you on the flamethrower in the driveway (I'll blur your face if needed to protect the sanctity of your clip-art persona).
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
thinkcooper said:
(I'll blur your face if needed to protect the sanctity of your clip-art persona).
No way! I always thought that's what Mohair looked like for real! ;)
 

·
In need of sock puppet
Joined
·
9,420 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
No way! I always thought that's what Mohair looked like for real! ;)
He's the spitting image of his avatar. Tall, chiseled, smooth skintone, crisp white shirt, windsor knotted tie, slicked back Kennedy-like locks, about to spout something witty yet succinct, against a blue field. Or not.
 

·
Martini time?
Joined
·
206 Posts
When we were repainting cielings, we got paint that was pink when you rolled it on, then dried white, so you could see the spots you missed. It worked great.

/Still no cure for stiff necks.
 

·
i don't know
Joined
·
322 Posts
Don't be a moreon

Paint the ceilings. A new coat of white on the ceilings makes a big difference. IMHO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
so should i paint my ceiling white or the color of the wall?

so why do people paint ceilings white....and not the color of the wall??
 

·
Beetpull DeLite
Joined
·
12,756 Posts
rogger said:
Do you smoke? If not, there's no reason to paint your ceiling, it's a waste of time and a damn annoying chore.
Bullcrap!

How old is the house? I'd paint them if it's >15 yo or so. When my parents painted theirs it was a huge difference....I think it was around 15-20 yo when we did so. Do it in a bright white, not some tinted color which looks kind of weird. Get the thickest rollers you can find, too.

(Painted this house over the past two years and wish I'd done all of the ceilings in bright white)
 

·
Beetpull DeLite
Joined
·
12,756 Posts
anleca said:
so why do people paint ceilings white....and not the color of the wall??
Because painting a ceiling the same color as the wall can make a room seem claustrophobic and small. Having the bright white opens up the room and sets off the walls, IMO.
 

·
Misfit Toy
Joined
·
23,428 Posts
I have spider guts on my ceiling. It needs paint.
 

·
Non Non Cyclist
Joined
·
5,777 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
Having the bright white opens up the room and sets off the walls, IMO.
I think it helps to bounce light back down into the room as well.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top