Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Do you pass al line of stopped vehicle on the shoulder...or wait your turn in line?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question....do you ride up on the shoulder to pass stopped vehicles at a red light/stop sign or wait your turn in line with the traffic?

Be truthfull!

With all the post about angry and aggressive motorist, cars hitting cyclist, etc. I got to wondering......
On a lot of our local group rides, most of the riders when approaching a line of cars at a traffic light or stop sign will pull off the road, onto the shoulder and pass the line of waiting cars on the shoulder.....pretty much to "butt" in line up front. The light changes and the riders pull ahead and the off the shoulder and back onto the road. I refuse to do this and often find myself alone waiting in the line of traffic, if I'm in front "most" of the other riders will wait with me in line, but there are always some who move right up front on the shoulder.
Talk about an easy way to piss off drivers. If I was in line and a car did that, I'd be pretty pissed, no different if a cyclist did it.

Just passing some time,
KMan

·
Still On Steel
2,396 Posts
KMan said:
Talk about an easy way to piss off drivers. If I was in line and a car did that, I'd be pretty pissed, no different if a cyclist did it.
I agree 137%. I figure that if I want to be treated like Any Other Vehicle, I have to comport myself like Any Other Vehicle. So I voted for "wait my turn" -- although it really ought to say "always" rather than "generally."

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
I rarely do group rides and never in traffic.

On my own I will pass a line of cars any way it takes.

Right, left or center they are getting passed.

I'll run that light too if it is clear.

MB1
East Coast City Rider

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
Allez Rouge said:
I agree 137%. I figure that if I want to be treated like Any Other Vehicle, I have to comport myself like Any Other Vehicle. So I voted for "wait my turn" -- although it really ought to say "always" rather than "generally."
In many European countries *and* in some US states, lane-splitting is allowed for two-wheel vehicles. If traffic is backed-up at a light, I'll pass the idling cars not on the shoulder (aka :"the half-lane of death") but to the left of the right-hand most lane of vehicles. If there is only one lane, I'll pass them on the right. Here in France and in many other countries I have visisted, there is a "bike-box" painted on the ground in front of the stopping line for vehicles and before the light. I just make my way up there and take off in front of traffic when the light changes -- chances are at rush hour, I'll be going faster than the car traffic anyway.

A+

Philippe

·
Registered
48 Posts
Here is what I do:

I take myself completely out of the equation.

When I approach a light, I stop about 500 feet from the light on the right curb.
When the light turns green, I wait untill all the cars go, left turners, straight through guys, etc - then I go. Every time I can get through the light on the green with no cars. This also gives me ample time to clip in before getting to the intersection, and I dont piss off any cars, and I dont get hit.

·
soy un perdedor
839 Posts
MB1 said:
On my own I will pass a line of cars any way it takes.

Right, left or center they are getting passed.

I'll run that light too if it is clear.

MB1
East Coast City Rider
It's different for people in urban areas. Around town, I typically get from point a to point b much faster than someone making a trip in a car would. I think the cars should be getting out of my way rather than the other way around.

Always "butting in line".

-RD

·
Registered
31 Posts
I usually stick in the line in between cars, but a bit to the right of the road, just to give the impatient ones the berth they need. Last time I stuck in the middle, some guy in an SUV tailgated me out of a signal crossing when it turned green, and hit the horn as I was looking down to clip in (Look one-sided pedals), surprising me and almost causing me to lose balance.

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
I do whatever makes me the safest, regardless of what anyone else thinks. Often that means moving to the front, so some driver doesn't take me out when they decide to turn right. It's an inherently unequal situation, so I don't get caught up in the concept of "my turn." If I'm in front of people, they know I'm there, and they usually don't hit me.

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
I guess I'm a little confused.

When faced with a riding in traffic, I'm always on the shoulder/bike lane anyway. If it's a busy street and I'm being passed by cars, I'm never in the actual lane. If we all get a light, then the natural progression of things is that I (and the other cyclists) end up first at the crosswalk, in the shoulder/bike lane.

Might be the nature of where I ride, but no - I'm not among the cars. And so if I understand what you're asking, and if I was among the cars, I'd expect to be treated like a car. I wouldn't go around.

·
Registered
129 Posts
KMan said:
Question....do you ride up on the shoulder to pass stopped vehicles at a red light/stop sign or wait your turn in line with the traffic?

What will piss off a driver more:

a. zip past him when he's stopped and he never sees you again.

b. join the line of stopped cars and wait your turn. The drivers behind you will wait a long time while (at a 4-way stop sign) you try to get three other cars to recognize you and allow you to proceed, clip in, start across the intersection without getting creamed, etc.

I don't really worry about upsetting drivers when I pass them. It's for their own good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
KMan said:

Be truthfull!

Just passing some time,
KMan

The only reason is pisses off drivers of cars is because they can't do it. They and you need to more mature about such things.

In many areas is is legal for a motorcycle to lane split and car drivers get mad. Why? Because the motorcycle rider has an advantage that they are angry they can't use. Get over it. Be an adult and at least act like you have some education (this is towards the car drivers that get upset over silly things)

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
If I'm by myself, I'll always move up. If I'm with a group, it depends on the size of the group. 5 people, yes. 30 people, no.

·
Government Mule
1,328 Posts
I try to avoid impeding drivers if I can, but I aint gonna sit there thru multiple lights like they sometimes are forced to do. I will cross the intersection and wait for them to pass before proceeding if I feel like I'm going to become an obstruction. I select the type of bike that I feel is appropiate for the conditions I'm likely to face, since I live close to both rural and city traffic. No matter what I do somebody gets po'd practically everytime I ride. I need to go faster!

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
KMan said:

Be truthfull!

With all the post about angry and aggressive motorist, cars hitting cyclist, etc. I got to wondering......
On a lot of our local group rides, most of the riders when approaching a line of cars at a traffic light or stop sign will pull off the road, onto the shoulder and pass the line of waiting cars on the shoulder.....pretty much to "butt" in line up front. The light changes and the riders pull ahead and the off the shoulder and back onto the road. I refuse to do this and often find myself alone waiting in the line of traffic, if I'm in front "most" of the other riders will wait with me in line, but there are always some who move right up front on the shoulder.

Just passing some time,
KMan
Can you give some more details. You've been riding along a road. Cars have been passing you on the left as they move along at speed. You come to a light with five cars stopped at it. You stop behind the 5th car. Where do you stop? Do you move to take more of the lane than you were while moving? Or do you stop pretty much on the line you've been travelling. If you do the latter, dosn't the 6th car to come along pull up next to you, not behind you. Then when the light turns green dosn't car 6,7,8.... pass you before you ever even get through the intersection. If you move over and claim the lane so cars can't pass you do you hold it for those five car links and the intersection. If so, do you ever find yourself pissing drivers off with that behavior. You were riding to the right allowing vehicles to pass, now you've moved to the middle of the lane forcing cars to remain behind you. To many drivers this might seem like inconsistent and inexplicable behavior.

I do both behaviors and adjust based on the circumstances. But I can almost guarantee that if the line I've been travelling is clear all the way to the intersection. I will hold it and pass cars on the right and move to the front. I expect cars to pass me when they are travelling at speed, and I expect to pass cars when I am travelling at speed and they are not. In my opinion, so do the drivers on the road. Stopping 20 yards short of an intersection and waiting on the side of the road will only confuse them.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
It depends, but generally i'm very worried about getting rear ended while waiting "my place in line", so I'll typically go along the side. If there is little traffic and only one or two cars in line, I'd wait.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm very hard headed.

KMan said:
Riding through town, or out on the road, I take the lane that is given me by law. I typically stay within two feet of the lane stripe at the edge of the lane unless there is a shoulder sufficient for riding. I was told, when I first began riding by a rider with experience around here (south texas), that if you hug the white line too closely drivers will never even consider changing lanes to pass and you will get buzzed constantly. But, I feel that by demanding my right to my lane I am also obligated to keep that lane when I come to a light or stop sign. When I come to a red light or stop, and there is traffic, I will typically pull toward the center of the car in front of me and most of the time since I am in the right lane there are some cars turning that slow things down enough to allow me to get through the intersection without being an impediment to flow. Don't get me wrong I'm not like a parade float holding up traffic for miles while I meander down the highway, I just believe that the lane is my lane, and I try to ride like I'm driving a car (only I don't get speeding tickets on the bike.)

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
Scot_Gore said:
In this circumstance:

You would drop in and follow the tan car through the stop light?
That this question must even be posed reflects poorly on the state of cyclists in the US.

Just my opinion.

Philippe

(I am so passing those cars on the shoulder!)

Oh, and Scott, tell me you didnýt just take this picture and post w/ your blackberry....

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Don't follow this example

This morning I was at the very end of a Loooong line of cars. It was clear that it would take 2 more lights to get through. There was no room at the curb and both lanes were filled in solid. So, I decided to jet down the center to the light. This would be fine in the city, but may be not so great in a golf community in the far west suburbs. Well I missed the light by 2 cars so I find myself between two columns of cars. What is it they say about patience? I guess its some kind of virtue. :)

Anyway, I will say this. If there is room at the curb and you know there is time before the light changes, then moving up can be considerate. You can always pull to the inside while clipping in and let a couple cars pass. And you don't have to worry about getting in the way of left turners.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.