Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Roadies Rejoice
Joined
·
975 Posts
chuckice said:
Still one of the craziest things I can recall...


Almost as crazy as this...
I don't think the "Snake River" jump while crazy, comes anywhere near what Petit did. Most people don't realize that he was up on the cable for several crossings, for about 45 minutes total, and even jumped up and down and bounced on the cable. All of course without any safety restraint.

Single most courageous (ballsy) athletic undertaking EVER. Nothing comes close.
 

·
Cat 6
Joined
·
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SteveCnj said:
I don't think the "Snake River" jump while crazy, comes anywhere near what Petit did. Most people don't realize that he was up on the cable for several crossings, for about 45 minutes total, and even jumped up and down and bounced on the cable. All of course without any safety restraint.

Single most courageous (ballsy) athletic undertaking EVER. Nothing comes close.
Definitely...I just still love seeing Evel in the Skyrocket ready to take flight. I have a Knievel dvd someplace where he talks about how he pretty much knew it wouldn't work but he was there and couldn't not do it...lol...good ole Evel.

Also, I looked online but couldn't find another one of my faves...the guy that scaled the side of the World Trade Center and wrote "Spider-Man" on the observation deck when he got done...
 

·
Roadies Rejoice
Joined
·
975 Posts
chuckice said:
Definitely...I just still love seeing Evel in the Skyrocket ready to take flight. I have a Knievel dvd someplace where he talks about how he pretty much knew it wouldn't work but he was there and couldn't not do it...lol...good ole Evel.

Also, I looked online but couldn't find another one of my faves...the guy that scaled the side of the World Trade Center and wrote "Spider-Man" on the observation deck when he got done...
Evel definetly had some balls as well, there was no way he was gettin across, but still put on the show he agreed to do. Have you seen the Kanye West video of "Touch the Sky", (hey, when I'm on the rollers sometimes I don't want to change the channel) which has an Evel Snake River theme? I'll bet 99% of the people who watch that have no idea, to what it refers.

The spyderman was another good one.
 

·
Cat 6
Joined
·
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SteveCnj said:
Evel definetly had some balls as well, there was no way he was gettin across, but still put on the show he agreed to do. Have you seen the Kanye West video of "Touch the Sky", (hey, when I'm on the rollers sometimes I don't want to change the channel) which has an Evel Snake River theme? I'll bet 99% of the people who watch that have no idea, to what it refers.

The spyderman was another good one.
LOL...I saw that vid just the other day while on the rollers as well! :) That's EXACTLY what made me think of Evel! Somehow that reminded me of the crazy stunt guys of my youth and then the Twin Towers high wire act.

I think this is the Evel vid I have...I'm gonna have to bust that out while I ride this rollers this weekend. There's nothing like seeing Evel at Caesar's...
Evel DVD

And in case anyone is wondering about the high wire story...
Twin Towers High Wire
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,302 Posts
how about onsite (someone who has never seen this formation before, first time to Yosemite valley) unleashed slacklining the Lost Arrow Spire in Yosemite (no pole for balance). 1200 feet of air. Note this climber has a safety leash. There have been about 7 or so people that have walked the spire unroped and at least one onsite (no practicing)

Or free-soloing (unroped) Romantic Warrior 5.12B at the Needles in California. Note this climber is using a rope.

There have been plenty of free soloers who climb crazy stuff....but some of the best have lost there lives....
 

·
Cat 6
Joined
·
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Friction_Shifter said:
how about onsite (someone who has never seen this formation before, first time to Yosemite valley) unleashed slacklining the Lost Arrow Spire in Yosemite (no pole for balance). 1200 feet of air. Note this climber has a safety leash. There have been about 7 or so people that have walked the spire unroped and at least one onsite (no practicing)

Or free-soloing (unroped) Romantic Warrior 5.12B at the Needles in California. Note this climber is using a rope.

There have been plenty of free soloers who climb crazy stuff....but some of the best have lost there lives....
Yeesh. That's totally nuts...

But these pictures are just amazing...and unfortunately ones we'll never see again.

 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,302 Posts
i think those old schoolers walk on circular rope or cable. the slackliners walk on tubular nylon webbing 1"(which is flat). actually one webbing inside another then pulled tight. Its flat. I'm thinking the flat surface is probably better/easier to walk on. if you ever go to joshua tree there is sometime a high line set up on some formations opposite the back loop of hidden valley campground. i tried slacklining close to the ground and could never get the hang of it.
 

·
Cat 6
Joined
·
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Friction_Shifter said:
i think those old schoolers walk on circular rope or cable. the slackliners walk on tubular nylon webbing 1"(which is flat). actually one webbing inside another then pulled tight. Its flat. I'm thinking the flat surface is probably better/easier to walk on. if you ever go to joshua tree there is sometime a high line set up on some formations opposite the back loop of hidden valley campground. i tried slacklining close to the ground and could never get the hang of it.
The operative word for me in slacklining is slack. :) I would love to take pictures of that stuff tho but I can't stand heights. It's pretty amazing to see...
 

·
I'm not like anyone else
Joined
·
1,796 Posts
Dudes and all...

Unless you were there in the time. you cannot understand.

The Evil, was the man!

HE pushed the envelpoe!

HE made it real.

HE was the one and only "Evil".

HE was the Pirate of the time!

Cheers to Evil... and "The Pirate".

EDB
 

·
Cat 6
Joined
·
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
everydaybike said:
Dudes and all...

Unless you were there in the time. you cannot understand.

The Evil, was the man!

HE pushed the envelpoe!

HE made it real.

HE was the one and only "Evil".

HE was the Pirate of the time!

Cheers to Evil... and "The Pirate".

EDB
That's the truth...man I loved my Evel gear...even have my Evel tribute on my desk...


And if anyone wants to buy me a birthday present...
https://www.evel1.com/Shop/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=238
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,302 Posts
nice! is that an old school bobblehead?

I had the evel motorcycle that you'd hand crank on that stand and then it would take off...lots of fun and a very durable toy.

didn't mean to take anything away from evel! i like people that are whacked!
 

·
Cat 6
Joined
·
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Friction_Shifter said:
nice! is that an old school bobblehead?

I had the evel motorcycle that you'd hand crank on that stand and then it would take off...lots of fun and a very durable toy.

didn't mean to take anything away from evel! i like people that are whacked!
I love my Evel bobblehead...way old skool.

Oh man...I had that motorcycle.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Evel-Knievel-St...egoryZ30QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I also had the SWEET scramble van...my mom still has my killer Evel lunchbox made of bully deterrent steel. It was almost as kewl as my six million dollar man lunchbox.

Good times...
 

·
Cat 6
Joined
·
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Friction_Shifter said:
worthy of a post. Ever get him to ride doing a handstand on the grips?

you know it!
No...I think I broke him trying to do a jump and the rear was never steady again. I know I trashed my Skyrocket trying to get it to cross the "Canyon" which was between the roof of two close buildings...that was doomed from the get go much like the original.

Did you get him to do all those stunts? I'm way jealous if so...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,302 Posts
only other stunt I remember was the basic wheelie(and I can't seem to remember how to do it) and jumping homemade ramps(which never seemed to work very well). My friends had a driveway across the street. We would got from my driveway into theirs. We would also have distance contests. Evel hand grip got less the more we used him but other than that evel and his motorcycle lasted a long time probably 5 years I'm thinking. Remember how heavy and well built the motorcycle was, the gear in the back and the rubber tires?

after done playing with evel we'd usually go play criss cross crash.....
 

·
Cat 6
Joined
·
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Friction_Shifter said:
only other stunt I remember was the basic wheelie(and I can't seem to remember how to do it) and jumping homemade ramps(which never seemed to work very well). My friends had a driveway across the street. We would got from my driveway into theirs. We would also have distance contests. Evel hand grip got less the more we used him but other than that evel and his motorcycle lasted a long time probably 5 years I'm thinking. Remember how heavy and well built the motorcycle was, the gear in the back and the rubber tires?

after done playing with evel we'd usually go play criss cross crash.....
I definitely remember that...it was NOT a cheap toy. He could take a beating...just like the real Evel. I wish Giro/Bell would make an Evel bike helmet... :D
 

·
Resident Curmudgeon
Joined
·
11,979 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
i tried slacklining close to the ground and could never get the hang of it.
LOL! I feel lucky when I can walk & stay on the sidewalk. :D
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top