Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or mount your bike on a rack and head out side of the city limits for your daily rides.

I live in a city of approx. 500,000 that is not bicycle friendly. I've been hit twice in the last 11 months, once bad enough to keep me off my bike for 10 months (due to a head injury). I don't feel comfortable about riding at traffic speed in the city.

Just want to see what others do about this issue?

·
prosciutto corsa
364 Posts
I suppose that depends on which city you are in.

San Francisco is pretty bike friendly and they are adding more and more bike lanes. It's fairly easy to avoid congestion if you are just out to ride.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
barmy said:
or mount your bike on a rack and head out side of the city limits for your daily rides.

I live in a city of approx. 500,000 that is not bicycle friendly. I've been hit twice in the last 11 months, once bad enough to keep me off my bike for 10 months (due to a head injury). I don't feel comfortable about riding at traffic speed in the city.

I live in a metropolitan area of 6 million people.. 90% of my riding is to Dallas or Fort Worth... That being said, people ask me all the time what route I take and I can't explain it. It comes from years of trying different routes until I finally found a safe route

·
Registered
335 Posts
I live in the sticks. our town has a grocery store and two gas stations, along with a small main street. We live several miles outside of town, so i don't even see that. When i visit family in the Detroit area, i generally ride wherever i'm staying, but i choose my route very carefully.

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
No, I don't live in the city, and I never will. I am climbing about 5 minutes after I leave the garage if I choose, on quiet twisty back roads.
It probably costs me income every year to not move to a larger area, but I have my peace and quiet and my serenity. The dogs love it too :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I live in New York City, I usually try to take bike routes, or ride during the day time when I'm more visible to drivers. There have been close calls and drives that just don't see you or don't give a damn about you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SimonChik said:
I live in New York City, I usually try to take bike routes, or ride during the day time when I'm more visible to drivers. There have been close calls and drives that just don't see you or don't give a damn about you.
The ride I took was during the day wearing the bright lime green that you need sunglasses to look at on a cloudy day.

The guy said he couldn't see me on a bright sunny day.

What more can you do?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ride the West Side Highway? Prospect Park? Shore Road? Along the Belt parkway? Those are some places I can suggest no cars, just peds and bikes. Where do you ride? And for some sick strange reason when there are no bike paths, I like riding towards oncoming just so they can see me. Don't know if that's the best idea, but I've been lucky.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I do most of my riding in NYC in the borough of Brooklyn, NY (population 2.6 million), and next most in Manhattan, which is a county unto itself and the most densely populated one in the USA, even before you count the umpteen number of people that commute there to work every day.

NYC has recently installed about 300 miles of bike trails in addition to whatever it had before.

Also, the traffic is so congested, and there are so many stop lights, much of it doesn't travel exceptionally fast.

Overall, I'm pretty comfortable riding around the city. My bicycle is currently my primary form of personal transportation. I ride day and night, and keep lights on the bike, as well as a bell, and I'm thinking about adding reflective tape. At night, the amount of traffic drops off a lot. I generally don't wear a helmet, but have decided to get one to increase my comfort on fast descents, particularly on pot hole ridden streets.

I got doored a couple of weeks ago, but the door just barely clipped my handlebars and the only damage was it cut the cork tape wrap.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I almost got "Doored" on 60th Street in Brooklyn. Some guy just basically kicked the door open I don't know if it was a test for me or it was just accidental. I managed to avoid him and thank god no cars next to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
SimonChik said:
I like riding towards oncoming just so they can see me. Don't know if that's the best idea, but I've been lucky.
You're supposed to ride with the traffic, not against it. Google "riding against traffic" for all the specific reasons.

·
Registered
197 Posts
SimonChik said:
I like riding towards oncoming just so they can see me. Don't know if that's the best idea...
I strongly try to avoid riding against traffic. I've found it's quite dangerous because both drivers and pedestrians are not expecting traffic from that direction and they often don't look that way before pulling or stepping out. And when you startle people like that, you won't be making friends.

Not long ago, I ran over a pigeon when flying around a turn onto a side street the wrong way. I thought the flock would all move as they usually do; but too late realized even a pigeon can get caught by surprise from a vehicle coming the wrong way. At the same time, a car approached the corner turning the way I was coming from and it squeezed me and prevented me from swinging out. It was sad, and I felt quite bad to kill an animal needlessly and watch it die convulsively, which took a few minutes.

Occasionally now, I'll ride short distances against traffic for expediency, but I go on high alert and yield to everybody and everything when I do.

Conversely, when I'm riding with traffic, I'll sometimes take command of the whole traffic lane if I'm going fast enough. Often I'll do this when there is a red light ahead requiring a stop anyway. This is usually safer than riding close to the parked cars. Many drivers just like to zoom up to red lights and then stop quickly, and many drivers seem to want to pass a bicyclist just because they can. According to NYC Law, a bicyclist is entitled to a whole lane just as much as a car. If your riding against traffic though, you have few or no rights.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I live close to an urban center of ~ 800,000. I ride there when I have to & I generally feel comfortable doing so. I try to avoid the worst roads whenever possible but sometimes there isn't any other way to get there. There are lots of roads in the outlying suburbs that scare me more.

·
Descender
1,940 Posts
Live in CoSprings pop 350,000 + - bike friendly by most standards - ride all over the place.

Would probably not live in a non bike friendly area..

·
Registered
24 Posts
SimonChik said:
I like riding towards oncoming just so they can see me. Don't know if that's the best idea, but I've been lucky.
I'd have to say probably not the best idea for multiple reasons... One, they can see you anyway, it's more like you can see them now, but that doesn't necessarily make it safer.
two, it's generally agains the law. and three people turning right aren't expecting people to come at them from the right at over 10 mph. So they look right once, see that nobody's coming, then they wait for a break in the traffic. In their head, they've calculated that they have enough time to go. They pull out, and now you land in the ER and have a ticket on top of that from the police.

As far as the OP's question, I live in LA, and I think in total, the city of LA has something like 30 million people... I could be wrong, could be la county. That being said, I rarely have cars coming even slightly close to me. There are a lot of cyclists out here, and I think the drivers are fairly acclimated to watching out for us.

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
Do I ride in the city?
When I have to...

·
Registered
959 Posts
i'm in a town with no connecting roads, so i never put my bike in or on a car.

something therapeutic about doing the same ride over and over.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm in a suburb of Vancouver and frequently ride in the city. Very friendly bike city with a very pro-bike mayor (Gregor Robertson) right now. He's spending millons on dedicated bike lanes. Gotta love him! All public transit is bike friendly, with bus's able to carry 2 bikes on a rack on front of the bus. Though I don't know why you need a bus if you have bike, I will use the train to cross the river. I am also very close to rural farmland which is different ride all together. Country roads, the sights and smells. Very nice for a 40 - 50 mile ride. If I had to chose one over the other it would be city though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Live in copenhagen denmark. Cycling city of the world (or at least it wants to be) - Like most that live in Copenhagen I almost exclusively use my bike to get from A to B - But I don't ride with high speeds in the city.. Simply too dangerous. And I don't use my 6.5kg road bike for it, but a old wreck of a commuter bike.
When I was younger I used to race through town, but I have been in so many near accidents, that I figured out that it must be a matter of time till I got really hurt. At some point I simply dropped the speed, and I must say that its the best thing Ive done.
A lot less stress that....

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Definitely ride in the city

I've lived in Boston, London, Shanghai and now Singapore. They're all fairly large cities, an understatement for Shanghai, and all have different issues when it comes to riding. Weather, drivers, trucks, buses, motorbikes, etc. Singapore's probably the most dangerous to ride in due to its small size, the number of cars, the number of bad drivers and the COE (Certificate of Entitlement) which leads many drivers to believe that they pay and own the road. Staying alert, riding with a rear blinker at all times and just smart riding are the guides. Car/truck issues will never go away, be it in the city or the country. Besides, I currently don't own a car so not much choice in the matter.

barmy said:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts