Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and what model is this? I can't find out. I want to convert it because the gears on it really suck, but is the frame SS worthy? How does it match up compared to a track frame?

·
hello
3,394 Posts
The frame is definitely ss/fg worthy with those horizontal dropouts.
Just curious, did the bike belong to a homeless person before?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
doubt it

not that I know of. Is it safe to say that all companies or at least trek, only puts horizontal dropouts on bikes that are used for specific purposes? or is it just a style thing?

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
that may not be a trek... those are modern oclv vintage stickers slapped on an old bike. in fact the more I look a those pics (from what I can see) the more I think it is not

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
dood werwides said:
not that I know of. Is it safe to say that all companies or at least trek, only puts horizontal dropouts on bikes that are used for specific purposes? or is it just a style thing?
It's an age thing. Road bikes used to have horizontal dropouts, then it gradually changed and most have vertical now, except frames built for SS/FG

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
really?...

If that's true then so be it but what bike could it be and if it were a good one, then why would someone want to put trek stickers on it?... Would it help if I told you I was in south america?

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
FatTireFred said:
that may not be a trek... those are modern oclv vintage stickers slapped on an old bike. in fact the more I look a those pics (from what I can see) the more I think it is not
I've been around Treks since the beginning and I have never seen seatstays shaped like that on a steel Trek. That isn't to say it's not a decent frame - just not a Trek.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
but still...

I thought I had something really great when I thought It was a trek and just wanted the model name. Now, I'm more curious than ever and looking everywhere I can a seatstay like that.

·
hello
3,394 Posts
Regardless, it seems like a practical frame for the conversion.
The reason I asked if it belonged to a homeless person is because those folks like to ride with their bars turned up like that.

·
hello
3,394 Posts
tikkimonkey said:
Are the handlebars supposed to look upside down?
That depends.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
also depends where

I'm in southern Brazil, so considering that most people are too broke to give a **** about a lot of things,...The cyclist community isn't big on image. However I do have to admit that the frame may not be a Trek. As a matter of fact it isn't. I'm actually as confused as you are.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts