Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Inching to 1000 (again)
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do you trust your patches?

Or do you put in a fresh tube when you get home? I've have a couple of flats lately (more like pinholes that became apparent after the ride) and was wondering if there is a downside to riding a tube with one or two patches?

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Slim Chance said:
Or do you put in a fresh tube when you get home? I've have a couple of flats lately (more like pinholes that became apparent after the ride) and was wondering if there is a downside to riding a tube with one or two patches?
Or three or four... or six of seven. At some point, I end up with more money tied up in patches than in the tube itself. The patch ends up being stronger than the tube, if your think about it. They are chemically bonded to the tube--- not glued. Don't even think about a glueless "sticker" !

·
Registered
259 Posts
I almost never patch anymore. I carry a spare tube, and if I were to get a second flat on a ride I'd break out the patch kit(which gets used so rarely the glue's usually dried). I've very rarely had patches fail, but I find they're not worth the hassle when the LBS has new tubes for $2.75 CAD with a 60mm stem.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
galanz said:
I almost never patch anymore.
I don't know... patching is so easy. I just wait til I get 2 flat tubes and then patch them. I get a couple of flats per month, and 4 tubes and one patch kit will easily last a year or more. Otherwise, I'd be buying ~24 tubes per year.

·
Get me to In&Out
5,419 Posts
The only no no for patched tubes is on a trainer. I have a "lucky" tube that has seven patches on it. I figure it just makes those spots stronger on the tube. I have only had one patch fail and it was on a trainer. Tire and rim gets real hot and the patch fell off.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
I replace the tube on the road, but have rainy day patching party at home-- later. It isn't the economics, but rather the wastefulness of it all-- especially as we have five road bikes and a few extra wheelsets between my wife and I.

·
Could be faster
282 Posts
currently riding with a tube that has four patches and none of the patchs are slow leakers. when i get a puncture, i replace the tube in the field and then patch the punctured tube at home. let it set overnight (probably not necessary but hey, it's not like i'm in any rush) and then re-fit it back to that tyre the following day or whenever i feel like it.

as someone else said, it's all about economics. imagine the cost of four patches vs four tubes. you do the maths.

boon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.