Votes: 4 1.2%
  • I'll wait for a nice rider to come by

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a lot of discussions and threads about what you carry etc but I'm just curious how many of you out there go naked or carry your spares in your jersey pocket.

I might get a fedex tyvek envelope and put my tube/CO2/patch repair/1 lever in that bag roll it up tight and put it in my middle jersey pocket.

Just dont feel that what I have in my saddle bag is worth carrying a saddle bag

·
Registered
113 Posts
I use a camelback rogue. It's small enough to be barely noticeable, holds a tube, CO2, multi-tool, phone and wallet and can hold a bladder for when I go for longer rides. The jersey pockets are for quick access food only.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Bike stuff and phone in a saddle bag. Mini pump on the frame. Jersey pockets get food, arm/knee warmers, skull cap, thin windbreaker/vest, map, misc odds and ends, or preferably nothing... as conditions warrant.

On the mtb, or on longer cross country rides where I need to carry more stuff, I use a Camelbak.

·
Descender
1,940 Posts
Good to know you have everything in the saddle bag without thinking about it - it's there.

If you have to load your jersey everytime, you are probably going to forget something at some point in time.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Very small bag

I've been using a very small Continental bag, single velcro strap which holds a road tube and two tire levers. When riding tubs, I have a small nylon coin bag that the federal reserve uses to distribute coins. Big enough to hold a folded tub and then attached to the saddle rails with a toe strap.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use my jersey pockets. I have a tube, 2 levers, pump, and i have cash on me. I still have plenty of room in my pockets for food or gel if needed. I did a 50 mile ride with only food last week. A friend had one tube and 2 co2 cartridges. It works great.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think part of it is me being vain and not wanting to clutter the bike with a saddle bag, i currently run a pretty small specialized bag but i'll try the FedEx pouch for now to see how it is.

I usually have my ID/Ins Car/Money on a money clip in the left pocket along w/ my phone (in a ziploc since electronics dont like moisture), the fedex (parts pouch) in the center, right pocket gets the food/gel/bar.

We'll see how this goes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Saddle bag ftw.
-Tube
-Latex gloves
-Park multi-tool
-Money
-Air pump and a spare co2 cartridge
-Tampons and Midol...wait what? Thats a good idea actually, I should carry Advil.
-Slime patches
-Levers
-2 Bandaids
-3 Zipties
-An expired license

·
Registered
27,481 Posts
Jersey pockets are great.

I too am vain about strapping a little bag under my seat. Used to do that, but once the spare tube had a hole in it when I tried to change a flat. It had jiggled around so long, one tire lever cut a hole in the tube.

So now I carry tube and levers wrapped in a sandwich bag and power bar or banana in middle jersey pocket, wallet in left pocket, and phone and keys in right pocket. Never notice it, like I did the saddle bag swishing side to side when whacking up hills, etc.

Anyway, all the serious roadies carried their stuff in jersey pockets back in the day. It was cool. But I better shut up now. :)

Yeah, and frame fit pump! Clips right under the top tube, matches the line of the top tube. Bike looks naked without it.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i guess on a long ride 50+ miles or out in the "boonies" then i would agree that being self contained is key. I guess for me I'd have to travel pretty far to get out in the boonies so I take that for granted and there's quite a lot of riders out and about on the local jaunts

·
Registered
25 Posts
saddle bag

2 - tubes
3 - co2 w/ inflater head
1 - tire lever
1 - chain tool w/ extra link
1 - mini multi tool
1 - ID card

food, phone, and misc. warmers/ hat/ jacket go in the jersey pockets.
I carry two tubes and 3 co2 because worst case scenarios do happen and i figure it is better to be over prepared with an extra couple ounces in the bag than to be stuck out in the "boonies" without the supplies for a multi-flat day. Oh, and the third co2 is because i just might be that clumsy as to screw up a co2 fill on the side of the road:)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Fredrico said:
Used to do that, but once the spare tube had a hole in it when I tried to change a flat. It had jiggled around so long, one tire lever cut a hole in the tube.
I wrap the spare tube tightly in plastic wrap to keep them safe from abrasion and nice and compact. A small piece of tape will keep it from unraveling. I also sprinkle talc on them before wrapping cuz IMO the lubricity makes it easier to change.

·
Good Person
1,695 Posts
I actually have a small, seatpost mounted rack with a little bag that I store stuff in. I'm sure a lot of you would think that it looks ridiculous but I like being able to ride with a pump, tube, extra layer (if necessary), wallet, and food without having to stuff it all into my jersey pockets. I don't know about you guys, but when I ride for 4 or more hours I have to eat some food while I'm out. I'm comfortable, completely self-supported, and enjoy being able to eat a real lunch while I'm out.

A lot of people go for the minimalist look on their bikes so that they can look like the pros do but one has to remember that when they are out riding for that long, they eat a lot of food and have someone following them in a car with all of the stuff they need to provide for them. There are a few pros that live around here that I encounter riding and if y'all didn't know that they're pros some serious fred-o-meters would be going off with the saddlebags and frame pumps and such that they carry. The decisions made by a lot of "serious" cyclists aren't necessarily the same as the decisions made by guys who aren't insecure with their image.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts