Votes: 4 1.2%
  • I'll wait for a nice rider to come by

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 40 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
thechriswebb said:
I actually have a small, seatpost mounted rack with a little bag that I store stuff in. I'm sure a lot of you would think that it looks ridiculous but I like being able to ride with a pump, tube, extra layer (if necessary), wallet, and food without having to stuff it all into my jersey pockets. I don't know about you guys, but when I ride for 4 or more hours I have to eat some food while I'm out. I'm comfortable, completely self-supported, and enjoy being able to eat a real lunch while I'm out.

A lot of people go for the minimalist look on their bikes so that they can look like the pros do but one has to remember that when they are out riding for that long, they eat a lot of food and have someone following them in a car with all of the stuff they need to provide for them. There are a few pros that live around here that I encounter riding and if y'all didn't know that they're pros some serious fred-o-meters would be going off with the saddlebags and frame pumps and such that they carry. The decisions made by a lot of "serious" cyclists aren't necessarily the same as the decisions made by guys who aren't insecure with their image.
It's okay. You don't need to justify anything. The irony of taking the effort to support your decision while calling others insecure is classis though.

·
Hanging 10 bra
1,125 Posts
I carry most all my gear in my pockets now, esp when riding with the race team/club. However, if I plan on doing a century or longer than normal ride (such as 60+ miles) then I like to have added storage for more gear.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
My latest bike and saddle combo don't seem to have room for a saddle bag. I occasionally forget to put the tools and tube in the jersey, and so far I've been lucky. I'm trying to come up with a solution, without resorting to the bento box.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I must be the odd man out. I pack two tubes, One in my jersey pocket and one in my seat bag. I also pack a patch kit, tire boots, co2 and a mini. Flats are a big problem here. Especially with the goat head thorns, Which should be bad this year because of all the rain.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Minimalist seat pack with 2 tubes, mini-tool, and tire levers. Similar pack on my fixed but with a stubby 15mm combo wrench.

Left jersey pocket, cell phone and bandana. Middle, wallet and C02. Right, keys and Gu packets.

I have a mini frame pump for the plastic wonder bike, and a chrome frame-fit Silca for the fixie and my other vintage rides.

And yes, on one ride on my fixed, I flatted the front and the back tire simultaneously!

For the commute, everything goes in a messenger bag.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I use a bottle shaped bag from Trek. It's the only thing trek I own.

I carry it in one of my three water bottle holders. I never did like a bag under my seat.
I have carried the trek bag in my pocket, on very long rides, but not very often.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I put everything in my jersey. Saddle bags bounce around to much. I carry 1 tube, some patches, tire lever, co2 inflator and 1 extra cartridge, and a small multi tool plus food and cell phone. If anything happens I am never more than 50 miles from my house and I have a big family so someone is can always come pick me up if need be.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
I use this one to carry tube, 2x CO2 cart and multi tool. The rest goes in Jersey pockets. it is out of the way and does not bother me in any way and it blocks a lot of wheel spray in the rain!

·
Registered
27,547 Posts
looigi said:
I wrap the spare tube tightly in plastic wrap to keep them safe from abrasion and nice and compact. A small piece of tape will keep it from unraveling. I also sprinkle talc on them before wrapping cuz IMO the lubricity makes it easier to change.
Talc is under appreciated! I do the same thing with my tubes before putting them neatly wrapped in a sandwich bag rubber banded to the levers, now careful to point the ends away from the tube.

Somebody wrote, I can't remember where, that talc not only enables easier tube installations, but also has an effect on rolling resistance! He said talc enables the tube to seat evenly and "squish" as the tire rolls around. If the tube "catches" against the tire, the tire doesn't "flatten" as easily and there's a slight increase in rolling resistance. :confused:

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Saddle bag. I don't like all that stuff riding loose in my jersey pockets. I got enough stuff back there as it is with food and a cell phone. It would bother me too much. Bag holds CO2 (mini head and 3 carts), tube, mini tool, patch kit, money. No tire levers needed. Learn to do it with your hands.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Funny you should mention the FedEx tyvek envelope, I cut off the flap with adhesive strip intact and carry that for an emergency tire boot. Self-sticks, shear, tough and cheap.
I carry 2 really small tubes, ultra small minitool, a Fiber Spoke, bandaids and a few spare dollars in a small saddle bag.
Day stuff in the jersey pockets

·
Burn baby, burn.
2,497 Posts
Pockets.
No need for a saddle bag.

Phone, credit card and some cash in a zip lock bag, tube, CO2 inflator, 2 tyre levers, small multi tool.
On longer rides I will add a 2nd tube.
I can also cram a wind vest in there too if need be.

Some of you guys carry a lot of stuff.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
I put all the stuff I use only once in a great while like tubes in my jersey pockets and all the stuff I need while riding like gels and armwarmers in my saddle bag. WTF

·
This space for sale
783 Posts
Saddle bag has:
spare tube
tyre levers
patches
multi tool
$20
phone
rubber glove x 2

Jersey pocket:
mini pump
food

·
ES&D
70 Posts
Same as boneman with the Conti bag as it's the smallest one I can find. 'Used to throw everything in the back pockets, but it's pretty nice when you empty just a few items to somewhere else. More room for other junk that you find on your rides, like gloves, tools, money...

21 - 40 of 148 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.