·
Registered
978 Posts
1 tube
1 tire lever
1 glueless patch
1 wet nap, the kind you get from a rib joint
cash
I keep the above in a wierd ziplock baggie that is about 4" x 4" in my middle pocket. I also carry a phone in my middle pocket.

1 spoke wrench in my left pocket.

1 5 mm allen wrench in my right pocket. It fits most bolts that can go south on my bike.

Total weight with phone is 225 grams and 140 grams without. A buddy and I were working on a friends bike today and we weighed his saddle bag. It came in at a wopping 750 grams, which is like dragging an extra front wheel or crankset around with you. That's weight is for only 1 tube and no phone.

I remember reading an arcticle by Tom Kellog of merlin and spectrum bikes, in which he was discussing compact vs tradional geometry. He felt like the compact was easier to throw around beneath you while sprinting and standing climbing, because it had less weight up high. I also hate flatting and finding out that the tube in my saddle bag has had a hole worn in it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks, I guess I should have written Fiber "FIX" Spoke. I ride some minimal spoked wheels where if one breaks it might be a long walk home. I haven't used the Fiber Fix yet but it is some peace of mind knowing I have it with me.

·
Happily absent RBR Member
3,940 Posts
FTR said:
Mmmmmkay.
As I said earlier, some of you guys carry a LOT of stuff.
Obviously a lot of Boy Scouts here.
I am surprised some of you venture out the front door without a support car and a couple of Mavic guys on their motorbike following. :D
Of all the stuff people carry, a Fiber Fix makes a lot more sense to me than a chain tool. A 20 spoke wheel is unlikely to be rideable with one broken spoke, and the whole kit is tiny and weighs less than a Park spoke wrench. I'd take one of these before a multitool.

·
Burn baby, burn.
2,497 Posts
Kontact said:
Of all the stuff people carry, a Fiber Fix makes a lot more sense to me than a chain tool. A 20 spoke wheel is unlikely to be rideable with one broken spoke, and the whole kit is tiny and weighs less than a Park spoke wrench. I'd take one of these before a multitool.
I have a cab charge card for those days.

:D

Touch wood I have only ever broken one spoke ever on my road or MTB's once and that was on a wheel that I had purchased 2nd hand so who knows what the previous owner had done to it.
I dont see a lot of point in carting a spoke tool and often question why I bother to cart my multi-tool given I very rarely use it.

·
Fierce Pancake
3,817 Posts
Bike stuff and phone in a saddle bag. Mini pump on the frame. Jersey pockets get food, arm... warmers, ... or preferably nothing... as conditions warrant.

On the mtb, or on longer cross country rides where I need to carry more stuff, I use a Camelbak.
As above. I put my big-ass saddle bag on the MTB so I can dispense with the waterpack except for longer MTB rides. A minimalist, clip-on bag is now on the road bike so there's no swaying and less weight. Both bags are Topeaks. I use them to hold a spare tube, multitool, levers, latex gloves (keep the bar tape clean!), patches, keys, phone, some cash. I dislike carrying stuff on my back if I can help it.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
I've gotten stuck too many times commuting and what not that I have a dedicated bag for each of my three bikes. In each bag is:

2 tubes wrapped in freezer bags
2 CO2 cartridges
1 Park patch kit
1 Park tire boot
set of 3 tire levers
mini Park Chain tool
Spoke wrench
3 common hex wrenches
a wet ones towel
$20+spare change (dimes)

Sounds like a lot, but it all fits in a medium sized seat bag. I know I have what I need to fix most breakdowns and don't have to worry about forgetting something. Riding around with a single tube strikes me as optimistic. There's nothing in there I haven't needed at some point in my years of bike riding. I carry the CO2 dispensor, phone, ID, credit card, Insurance card, money and food in my jersey pocket.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Why carry a cell phone if you taking Mech back with you? If you stuck on the side of the road truing your wheel patching you 5th flat, or repairing your BB. Call a buddy, call home, something. Everything fits in the jersey pockets, all 4 seasons. I love the guys who show up for a 4 hr ride but look like they are going solo support for RAAM. to each their own. Shoot, one old guy on our SAT free for all (70-150 riders) showes up like this but still hammers hard.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Kontact said:
First time I hear about that device. Quite smart I reckon although this kind of problem is rare enough for me to dismiss it. You can't take a spare frame with your after all. One day my frame broke on a railway crossing and I just stopped a car to lift me to the nearest rail station and I just call a friend or my wife if I can't get home on my own.

I just pack the necessary stuff to repair flats + a multitool which I only used to help other + id + cell phone and a piece of paper with numbers to call and my blood type. The pump is attached to the frame. I only gets flats 2-3 times a year, anything else is just too rare to justify spares and tools.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Rubber banded cell phone and spare tube in left jersey pocket.
Inflator, 4 co2's, 1 lever, $5 (in ones cause the ladies love the singles), and some glueless patches banded together in right jersey pocket.
Food if any goes in middle pocket.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
clayton.cole23 said:
Why carry a cell phone if you taking Mech back with you?...
Primarily in case of medical emergency due to crashing, getting hit by a vehicle, etc.. Less of an issue riding with a group. More of a concern riding solo.

·
Registered
205 Posts
looigi said:
Primarily in case of medical emergency due to crashing, getting hit by a vehicle, etc.. Less of an issue riding with a group. More of a concern riding solo.
Well yeah :arf: My point being the need for the bag and all the extra gear. Agree, its smart to carrying your cell on a ride these days (group or solo). But I digress, (don't know if that is right) if you can dial after getting hit, your are a hero in my book.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I have a small Hello Kitty pouch that fits in my jersey pocket it contains: co2, inner tube, lever, allen wrench. Phone/credit card/drivers license goes into the other and gels/bars go into the third.

Unless I'm doing an occasional really long ride (2nd spare tube in the saddle bag)...I won't ride with one.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
I tried the jersey pocket route but left for rides once or twice without bringing everything a few times. I have a pretty small Cannondale saddle bag on my Supersix.. just big enough for a tube, tool, levers, and co2. If I know I'll be going on a longer ride I can easily swap the saddle bag from my other bike and put more in that one.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Fredrico said:
I too am vain about strapping a little bag under my seat. Used to do that, but once the spare tube had a hole in it when I tried to change a flat. It had jiggled around so long, one tire lever cut a hole in the tube..
OMG, carry the spare tube in an old sock! Then no holes get chaffed in the tube and you have the sock as a glove for dirty jobs and even emergency TP. Keep the plastic cap on the end of the valve too, to prevent chafe.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
seat bags and frame pumps don't meet my criteria for aesthetics.

so, I carry everything I need in a gallon ziploc bag that gets rolled up and tucked in a jersey pocket.

a tube or two, tire levers, CO2 rig, extra cartridges, towelette, $20, emerg contact info all fits in it easily.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Mike T. said:
OMG, carry the spare tube in an old sock! Then no holes get chaffed in the tube and you have the sock as a glove for dirty jobs and even emergency TP. Keep the plastic cap on the end of the valve too, to prevent chafe.
Even better idea.. at least in my opinion because this is what I do..

I test the tube first to make sure it's in good condition.. even when new.

I roll it up tightly but I'm careful of the valve. I then wrap 1 blue mechanics paper towel around the tube and then put it in a ziplock bag.

Stuff that in your saddle back.

When you change your tube you then have a towel to clean your hands on instead of your clothing.. and the baggie keeps things clean. Never once had a problem with one of my tubes from this.

·
Registered
154 Posts
pmf said:
I've gotten stuck too many times commuting and what not that I have a dedicated bag for each of my three bikes. In each bag is:

2 tubes wrapped in freezer bags
2 CO2 cartridges
1 Park patch kit
1 Park tire boot
set of 3 tire levers
mini Park Chain tool
Spoke wrench
3 common hex wrenches
a wet ones towel
$20+spare change (dimes)

Sounds like a lot, but it all fits in a medium sized seat bag. I know I have what I need to fix most breakdowns and don't have to worry about forgetting something. Riding around with a single tube strikes me as optimistic. There's nothing in there I haven't needed at some point in my years of bike riding. I carry the CO2 dispensor, phone, ID, credit card, Insurance card, money and food in my jersey pocket.

Very close to what I carry. I found out the hard way one tube is not enough over an hour drive from home. And I'm the type that will stop and help the underprepared minimalist that some of you are.

41 - 60 of 148 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.