Votes: 234 70.7%
  • Nope put everything in my jersey pocket

Votes: 93 28.1%
  • I'm feeling lucky dont carry any spares

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • I'll wait for a nice rider to come by

Votes: 0 0.0%
81 - 100 of 148 Posts
I'm for total minimalism...when I do elect to keep stuff on the bike, I use a small velcro strap, the kind that simply has a hard plastic piece on one end you can loop the other end through to make a circle. I put a tube, lever and CO2 in the smallest ziploc type bag that will hold them -- usually one that something I bought came in...or if none handy a "snack" size or even saran wrap -- whatever fits the tube tight and keeps it from collecting road grime. I squeeze it in between the saddle rails, loop the velcro around it so the velcro strap goes around both rails but such that both side of the strap go below (closer to ground) the ziploc bag. Tighten it up and it squeezes the ziploc up into and between the two rails super tight. Hardly notice it's there at all. Good and tight so it doesn't succumb to bumps and, IMHO, looks a heck of lot better than a saddle bag hanging down, especially those that tend to hang loose. And if you're a weight weenie, it's about the lightest way to do it. And if you don't have the right velcro strap handy, those reversible zip-ties work great too.

RRRoubaix said:
.....My pledge: I will carry 100% of my stuff in my jersey pockets and forego the seat pack just as soon as I have a team car following me on all my rides.
Forget the team car. You're self sufficient, relying on your legs, bike, and determination. Remember when riders in the TDF used to carry tubulars draped around their shoulders? They weren't supported by team cars or domestiques who could drop back and load their jersey pockets with filled water bottles for the riders up front. :thumbsup:

Having a wimpy little bag strapped below the seat has been unknown in the professional pelotons from day one. Nobody has ever done this. :nono: Riders who do this are out of touch with the grand tradition of road biking. They should be sitting up on their hybrids pedaling in tennis shoes. This is not road biking.

REAL roadies carry everything in their jersey pockets with one exception: a spare tubular tire, neatly folded and secured with a toe strap under the saddle. That's it. Spare tube, wallet, keys, cell phone, food, its all readily accessible in the jersey. The point is, you don't have to stop, as you wouldn't in a race or you'd be off the back. The essence of roadie coolness is being able to deftly reach behind and pull out a banana, peel it, and take bites, while humming along in the pack. :biggrin5:

As far as those ubiquitous multi tools, leave them home. Loose screws should have been taken care of when you cleaned and lubed the chain before the ride.

Discussion starter · #83 ·
Well today was my first try doing a 45 mile ride without a saddle bag. As mentioned in the first post, i put:
-1 tube
-1 lever
-2 co2
-1 nozzle
-1 patch kit

all tightly wrapped up in a FedEx tyvek pouch and wrapped a couple turns with filament tape (tape can be used for something in a pinch).

Verdict, not bad, i put it in my center pocket and initially it felt heavy as I wasnt used to it but after 10 minutes I didnt even notice it there.

I think i'll keep it like this for now. And as some said, if i was doing a longer ride etc I would definitely pack a saddlebag for the "just-in-case"

now he wants to get rid of it because he hates the swaying back and forth while riding.
A good saddle bag doesn't swing.

Fredrico, much as I'd love to be down with the whole pro-peloton look, for long rides on desert roads it isn't pleasant to have more weight on my back than necessary, and it isn't a good idea to find yourself without a multi-tool when you find yourself having a mechanical issue miles from home.

foofighter said:
-1 tube
-1 lever
-2 co2
-1 nozzle
-1 patch kit

all tightly wrapped up in a FedEx tyvek pouch and wrapped a couple turns with filament tape (tape can be used for something in a pinch).
Hey! You might be on to something here! Just add a little velcro strap and you could fasten it somewhere on the bike, perhaps under the back of the saddle, and obviate the need to remember to stick it in your pocket and then have to carry it there! :idea:

And yes! I have carried a gun on a bike...most recently a large caliber revolver going wild pig hunting on my mountain bike. A great way to turn cycling into a red-neck sport!

Funny this thread pops up again...

Sunday I raced Battenkill with the following in my pockets:
3 honey stinger waffles
Cell Phone
Lip Balm
2 gel flasks
2 rolled tubes
1 20 oz bottle
multi tool
patch kit
2 tire levers
2 threaded 16g CO2s
Lezyne inflator head
1/2 bagel in zip loc baggie.

I didn't even notice the stuff in my pockets. Just confirms that pockets are the correct place for everything.

zip lock bags in pockets 1 for tube 1 for tools / phone / ID + pump on its own. When I am done with a ride I store it all in my helmet this way everything is bike independent and I don't forget stuff when I switch bikes.

Discussion starter · #91 ·
robdamanii said:
Funny this thread pops up again...

Sunday I raced Battenkill with the following in my pockets:
3 honey stinger waffles
Cell Phone
Lip Balm
2 gel flasks
2 rolled tubes
1 20 oz bottle
multi tool
patch kit
2 tire levers
2 threaded 16g CO2s
Lezyne inflator head
1/2 bagel in zip loc baggie.

I didn't even notice the stuff in my pockets. Just confirms that pockets are the correct place for everything.
i'd like to see pics of what that looked like you must be good at packing for trips

foofighter said:
i'd like to see pics of what that looked like you must be good at packing for trips
Feed zone handoff, full pockets, same load after jettisoning the bottle in the last miles.

Point being that even with stuffed pockets, you can carry anything you need and not have to use a clunky, ugly saddle bag.

Edit: Pic 2 and 3 switched around...

I think half the problem I see is that riders wear jerseys that are far too big (or poorly cut jerseys). The pockets sag down over their bum and bounce around when they are loaded up.
I found that with most club cut jerseys (not a big enough gut to fill them out).
Race cut jerseys are much better for me.

FTR said:
I think half the problem I see is that riders wear jerseys that are far too big (or poorly cut jerseys). The pockets sag down over their bum and bounce around when they are loaded up.
I found that with most club cut jerseys (not a big enough gut to fill them out).
Race cut jerseys are much better.
There's a lot of truth in that. Too big a jersey will slide down, or try to rotate around your torso. That's no good at all.

But that's a jersey fit problem, not the fault of utilizing the pockets as they were intended.

Discussion starter · #95 ·
thanks for the pics amazing how expandable those pockets are. I'm wearing a Rapha jersey that I think is not too big for me as I've lost almost 30# since i bought the thing but the pockets are roomy but they do have a longer than normal "tail" it seems. I may have to move to a smaller sizing to really be able to do what you do.

Right now the stuff stowed in the middle will migrate to the left or right depending on what i'm doing so i'm constantly adjusting.

robdamanii said:
But that's a jersey fit problem, not the fault of utilizing the pockets as they were intended.
Agreed but I would think that there would be people out there that would blame it on having stuff in the pockets rather than looking at it closer and seeing that their jersey is simply letting them down.

foofighter said:
thanks for the pics amazing how expandable those pockets are. I'm wearing a Rapha jersey that I think is not too big for me as I've lost almost 30# since i bought the thing but the pockets are roomy but they do have a longer than normal "tail" it seems. I may have to move to a smaller sizing to really be able to do what you do.

Right now the stuff stowed in the middle will migrate to the left or right depending on what i'm doing so i'm constantly adjusting.
It really is amazing what can go in those pockets and how much they expand. Then again, I go about planning how I pack my pockets to maximize the space I've got instead of just throwing things in there willy nilly.

I get the same shifting problem when I wear some of my club cut jerseys. Depends on the company, but occasionally I'll have the shifting going on too. I just balance my load on the side pockets and roll.

FTR said:
Race cut jerseys are much better for me.
Direct me to a jersey tailor and I'll consider trying to use the pockets for that much gear, or be able to zip up the neck. But for non-average size people the pockets don't necessarily go in the right place, fit snuggly against the back or are narrow enough to not fall off the sides.

It's a shirt with pockets, not a fanny pack.

Kontact said:
Direct me to a jersey tailor and I'll consider trying to use the pockets for that much gear, or be able to zip up the neck. But for non-average size people the pockets don't necessarily go in the right place, fit snuggly against the back or are narrow enough to not fall off the sides.

It's a shirt with pockets, not a fanny pack.
Not needed.
You just need to measure your chest and waist and purchase accordingly.
If the measurements dont marry up with those recommended by the manufacturer then look elsewhere.
I work on slightly too tight is better than slightly too loose.

81 - 100 of 148 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.