Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't really seen any disc brake arguments for or against them on here so I thought I'd ask. Is this the way of the future? I'm really considering the 2017 TCR Advanced Pro Disc with Di2. The only thing holding me back is they are not ride adjustable like rim brakes. Say I'm out riding and for some unknown reason I start to get a rub on one of my discs. There's no quick way to fix besides getting off your bike and getting out your tools and adjusting the calipers one way or another. With rim brakes you could reach forward or backwards and spread the brakes without getting off your bike.

Not sure if this is even a valid point I'm bringing up but it's the only downside I can think of besides the extra few oz's of weight it would add. But at my size and weight I have way more weight on myself to cut before I have to worry about my bikes weight.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
There have been plenty of disc brake discussions in threads here.

I have three bikes with disc brakes (commuter, gravel, MTB), and I've never had to get off the bike and adjust them. I'm not sure what could happen short of a crash bending a rotor that could cause this to be necessary.

My next bike will almost certainly have disc brakes. Not that I'm seeking them out. The bike I am fawning over just happens to have them.

I have rim and disc brakes and ride them all quite a bit. I like both types for different reasons. At this point, I don't think I would reject a bike based on the type of brakes it has. Rim and (hyd) disc are both great options. As long as they are set up well, they work great.

Note: When talking about disc vs rim, I'm speaking about decent quality equipment in both cases. Crappy rim brakes are crappy. I have tried mechanical discs (Avid BB7) on my commuter, and they went into the rubbish bin after about three rides.

Edit: One possible consideration. If you have an expensive wheelset, or if you plan to swap wheels between multiple bikes, then they obviously need to have the same brake type. If you are a one bike person, or you never need to swap wheels, then I wouldn't worry too much about whether the brakes are disc or rim, as long as they are good quality brakes and are well set up.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
Yup....not because of stopping power, but because of fender fitment.

But not buying another frameset for a while. Not until disc brake sizing shakes out and maybe standardizes. Also not until wireless shifting shakes out some more.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
There's been lots of disc brake discussion here. I ride rain or shine and I'm not buying another bike with rim brakes. In your case it probably wouldn't matter.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,425 Posts
Why?
I have no reason to get them. Most bikes with disc brakes that I've been near, sound terrible.
They might be good for commuters who ride rain or shine, or people who live on top of a mountain, but they are not for me.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sure, i guess. I'm >200lbs and i ride some long steep descents. They're gonna be good brakes though; i'd rather have cheap caliper brakes than cheap disks.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,416 Posts
The only places where they would be of any help for myself would be on a loaded touring bike, or possibly on an all-weather town bike (even there, I would think that the extra weight and complexity wouldn't be worth it).

·
Registered
221 Posts
(Yes, there have been many disc-brake threads.)

But to the OP, you needn't be concerned about needing to adjust your brakes trail-side. I have never had to touch my hydros; that is the beauty (or one of many nice things) about hydraulic brakes. The pads auto adjust. I have never bent a rotor on a ride, but I have bent rims (or broken spokes) which on a rim-brake bike is bad news, but likely won't matter at all on a disc-brake bike.

I would absolutely get the disc di2. I can't imagine why one wouldn't choose a disc-brake bike if you are buying new and don't already have wheels you want to use. The brakes work (much) better; you have much more flexibility as far as tires/wheels (as much as frame will clear); the rims of disc wheels are a non-wear item. The downsides are some added weight; more difficult setup (if you're doing it yourself); and, yes, when the rotors are wet the brakes can be loud. But for that loudness in the wet you do get brakes that'll stop you just as quickly as in the dry -- even with carbon rims.

And disc brakes are clearly the future for road bikes, so there's that too.

·
your god hates me
1,551 Posts
My next road bike? No.
My next gravel-grinder/'cross bike? Yeah, probably.
My next mountain bike? Absolutely...if for no other reason than it seems unlikely I'll be able to find a mountain bike that doesn't have disc brakes by the time I'm actually in the market for one.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yep. Hydro Di2. My only worry is that when the UCI allows disc brakes again they might make some silly rule that will ultimately make parts for the current stuff hard to get. But they can change the rules whenever they want anyway so... just gotta jump in when you're ready to jump in I guess.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
For sure. My next bike will have them whether it's a mountain bike or a road bike.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Haven't really seen any disc brake arguments for or against them on here
WHAT? You either have been paying zero attention or you're totally new and couldn't bother to use the search function or you're a poor troll. We debated disc brakes on mountain bikes (at MTBR.com) for fourteen years and then RBR took over for the past four years (same stuff, re-hashed). I can't think of one topic that has been more "debated" than disc brakes.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
They are not adjustable at all. They are self adjusting.

When you replace the pads you stick a putty knife in between the pistons to open them wide. Once the new pads are installed (10 seconds) you squeeze the lever several t imes to make th em self adjust.
Haven't really seen any disc brake arguments for or against them on here so I thought I'd ask. Is this the way of the future? I'm really considering the 2017 TCR Advanced Pro Disc with Di2. The only thing holding me back is they are not ride adjustable like rim brakes. Say I'm out riding and for some unknown reason I start to get a rub on one of my discs. There's no quick way to fix besides getting off your bike and getting out your tools and adjusting the calipers one way or another. With rim brakes you could reach forward or backwards and spread the brakes without getting off your bike.

Not sure if this is even a valid point I'm bringing up but it's the only downside I can think of besides the extra few oz's of weight it would add. But at my size and weight I have way more weight on myself to cut before I have to worry about my bikes weight.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I've been all disc for over a decade, so yep, any future bike will have them as well.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's funny I have guys on here calling me a troll and saying this is the most discussed topic in the history of RBR. Well I just searched Disc in the Frames forum again and not one hit as a topic header asking what I asked. So how's this make me a troll? I'm sure there is talk about disc brakes in other threads bodies but not one topic asking about if anyone wanted disc brakes on there next bike. I didn't really want to start reading threads I had no interest in to see if they may be discussing discs on a bike I'm not interested in so I decided to make my own.

Thanks for those who have chose to participate in this thread. Still leaning towards the 2017 TCR Advanced Pro Hydro Disc with Ultegra Di2 in a size XL. I'm 6'5 and a Clydesdale haha. May order on this week. Always wanted a bike with Di2 and the Bike is my favorite colors. Black and orange.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
It's funny I have guys on here calling me a troll and saying this is the most discussed topic in the history of RBR. Well I just searched Disc in the Frames forum again and not one hit as a topic header asking what I asked.
Learn to search. I just searched the phrase disc brake in thread titles only and got 107 hits.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Learn to search. I just searched the phrase disc brake in thread titles only and got 107 hits.
Like I said I did search in the Bike, frame and fork section and there was not a single post asking about what I was talking about in the past year. So I took your advice and searched the entire RBR Forum and yes there have been a few discussions about disc brakes so my bad. I'd figure someone would be discussing them in a frame and for Forum not a general Forum. So shoot me for asking. You can shut this thread down if you want.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts