Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
... here's the thing...

... I'm too awesomely cool to actually wave at anyone, anytime, anywhere... however, I will note that I met three of my best cycling buds out on local trails. I'd always see them but we never spoke and perhaps gave a head nod at best. Then, over the course of time, I eventually found myself riding in the same direction and started a conversation... Had I waved, they'd a never spoken to me!!! <j/k>

Nod is cool... wave, not as much.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Aren't you one of the “Lance Armstrongs of the world” that he prefers to avoid?

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
I wave to all other bike riders especially tri-geeks in their silly "praying mantis" pose. I use either the Judith Arndt "I'm #1" wave or the Cavendish "Reverse Winston Churchill" version, depending on my mood.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
What should I wave? I live in rural NE Texas, everyone waves, drivers, farmers out on their tractors, people in their yards, cops, etc. When I'm out riding in the countryside, I always wave at people. You never know when you'll have a flat or mechanical out in the middle of nowhere. Might as well be known as friendly. I ride with a local minister, he had a mechanical on our tuesday night ride that couldn't be fixed roadside. Four cars stopped to see if they could help.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Depends...

When riding locally, I wave. Comparatively, we don't have a large number of cyclists out on the usual routes.

When I visit places like Boulder, CO, San Diego, CA, Las Vegas, NV, etc. I don't wave. There are just too many cyclists out when I ride in these places. I would never have my hand on the bars.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Might as well be known as friendly. I ride with a local minister, he had a mechanical on our tuesday night ride that couldn't be fixed roadside. Four cars stopped to see if they could help.
Exactly. The people I make a point of acknowledging are drivers who wait patiently for a good time to pass then give us plenty of room when they do go around. There are a lot of jerks on some routes, so I want the ones who aren't to know I appreciate their patience with bikes on "their" roads. We also have quite a few hilly, curvy roads that sometimes make it very difficult for cars to safely pass. When that's the case, I'll sometimes pull off into a driveway so more timid drivers can get around us, safely, and then I'll wave as they pass.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I wave, nod or give them a low deuce. Depends on what I am doing at the moment. Motorists who extend courtesies to me get a wave or a mouthed "Thank You" gesture.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Depends. I'll usually look in their direction. If they make eye contact, I'll smile or nod, and most of the time they do the same. If they ignore me, I ignore them.

When I pass someone, I'll usually say some pleasantries. Nice day, man this wind sucks, something like that.

One other thing I've noticed, too. Runners will almost always wave, or smile/nod or acknowledge me in some way, even before I do anything their way. Rollerbladers tend to ignore me even if I make eye contact.

And I'll always acknowledge a courteous motorist on one way or another. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Depends. I'll usually look in their direction. If they make eye contact, I'll smile or nod, and most of the time they do the same. If they ignore me, I ignore them.
One other thing I've noticed, too. Runner will almost always wave, or smile/nod or acknowledge me in some way, even before I do anything their way. Rollerbladers tend to ignore me even if I make eye contact.

And I'll always acknowledge a courteous motorist on one way or another. :thumbsup:
Agreed.

I have more pleasant responses from joggers than other cyclist.

If I make eye contact with motorist at an intersection, waiting for me to pass, I always give them a nod or thank-you wave.

·
Banned
697 Posts
I keep my hands on my bars but occasionally I'll yell out a loud "hey". Cyclists tend to respond to the "hey" but I often get a glare or no response if I wave so never do it. And female joggers are a mixed bag, in groups they tend to be friendly or smile but alone they seem to just want to shut out the world and are not at all friendly.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I generally wave to anyone with whom I make eye contact. That includes cyclists...

I tend not to make eye contact so much in large city centers. That's only because I'm usually too busy observing the road and other vehicles, while negotiating my own moves.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.