Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around my neck of the woods (NY) it seems about 1/2 the roadies I pass will not acknowledge my existence, much less wave to me. I find this rude & only solidifies the stereotypical elitist road biker mentality. Granted I usually wear board shorts, T shirt & camelback, so maybe people think I'm not cool enough because I'm not decked out head to toe in spandex, but I still think it's rude. Anyone else snubbed by people you see on the road?

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
Around my neck of the woods (NY) it seems about 1/2 the roadies I pass will not acknowledge my existence, much less wave to me. I find this rude & only solidifies the stereotypical elitist road biker mentality. Granted I usually wear board shorts, T shirt & camelback, so maybe people think I'm not cool enough because I'm not decked out head to toe in spandex, but I still think it's rude. Anyone else snubbed by people you see on the road?
sorry if I hurt your feelings. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,492 Posts

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I don't see many other riders where and when I typically ride, may 2 or 3 others during a 50 mile ride, so I always acknowledge them and most often they respond. Not so much, both ways, in areas where encounters are a lot more frequent. If someone doesn't respond is it a snub? Who knows and why care?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I always wave to riders in board shorts, T-shirt and camelback!

Do not wave to anybody in full pro kit - they won't wave back as it uses .025 watts and will cost seconds off their time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wave to all riders, drivers, and walkers. I also wave to the cows, dogs, and horses along my rides. Some of the riders wave back, some of the drivers do, the animals never do. I try not to let it get to me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes always, I'm a mountain biker first than learned to road ride. I rode yesterday for 2 hours on single track and was thinking these MB's are getting rude. I always say solo so they know I'm alone. They would not say anything and I would run into there friends 20 yards back. And not just once. I find almost all roadies here nod or flick there fingers.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,565 Posts
Yes, but I only use one of my fingers with T-shirted, camelback using riders.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Never. It is extremely dangerous to take your hand off the handlebar while riding a bicycle. If I meet up with a bicycling waver, I report him to the police. Sad to say, the authorities don't regard my complaints seriously.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,565 Posts
You can be DQ'd if you wave at another rider in the sprint.

·
Banned
123 Posts
I find that it depends on what I'm wearing.

If I'm in shorts and a t-shirt - the ******** wave. If I'm in spandex - the rest wave.

Not joking...

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,793 Posts
I "wave" all the time. And by, "wave" I mean that I shove a lead pipe in your front wheel when I catch up to you.

·
Bike Enthusiast
804 Posts
I wave to all cyclists and people outside doing yardwork, etc. I typically never get a wave back from fellow road cyclists. I think it is rude. If someone acknowledges you, wave back. You are no better than me!!

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
"Do You Wave / Should I Wave? / Why Do Others Not Wave? / If I Don't Feel Like Waving, How Does That Reflect On My Relationship With My Mother?" ..... version 11^3.14

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
I tend not to wave when I ride.

This drives the other rider to post on a cycling forum how cheated and butt hurt the whole experience made them feel.
After seeing more than a few racers R snobs for not waving, I went out for some time trial practice on a course for an upcoming race. Not a single rider waved back and they were all n00bs to intermediate riders.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.