Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from the Twin Cities-

I always wear cycling clothes when I ride. You know, bib shorts and a cycling jersey. I shop at World Cycling Productions, whose home base is in St. Paul. They publish the DVD's of European pro races, which are narrated by Paul Sherwin and Phill Liggett. It's one of the few places in town where I can get pro jerseys

Cycling jerseys are well made, practical and colorfull. Sometimes I wear a St. Paul Cycling Club jersey, or a pro team jersey like LiquiGas. The jerseys are birght and colorful and being visible on the road is a very good thing. Maybe some of you guys and gals wear local team or club clothing. Speak up...don't be shy. What do you wear?

Maybe there should be a clothing and shoe section on this Forum, uh?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I almost always wear my collegiate club team's kit. I like the visibility from the white, since I ride in the evening.

I do get "old manned" though. When I'm cruising along on an easy day, it's common for an older guy to fly by on aero bars and give "the look". You never get a friendly greeeting. Based on the $8000 bike thread, I wonder what's running through their head.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Bill, do some searches. There are often discussions about clothing here. Many of them arguing about what's proper to wear, and whether there should be some dress code, or if it's wrong to wear a pro team jersey if you're not on the team, etc., etc., etc.

Like many folks here, I have a bunch of jerseys, acquired over the years. Among my favorites are "Z" (Greg Lemond's team in 89-90), the Italian team jersey from the 96 Atlanta olympics, and one I got at Guiseppe Bianchi's bike shop in Florence, which has drawings of the city's most famous landmarks. My kids used to call it the "naked guy" jersey, because Michelangelo's "David" is prominent on the back.

I also have a St. Olaf College jersey, a gift from my daughter who recently graduated from there. I like Minnesota, and St. Paul especially.

·
ReviewBikeRoad Member
1,368 Posts
I don't wear team or club jerseys, but I have thought about getting an AG2R jersey, as I like the blue/brown design on the white background.

As for what people think of you when you ride, screw 'em! Wear what makes you happy and feels good.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think it's fine to wear a pro team jersey, but not the whole kit.

And if you decide to wear a pro team jersey, at least know who some of the current or past riders have been on the team, where the team is based, how long the team has been around. Things like that.

I think of it like wearing a basketball, football, soccer (futbol) jersey...you wouldn't wear the jersey of some obscure team you didn't like or know something about just because the colors are nice.

I also think its cool to buy jerseys when you travel...if you go somewhere interesting (especially somewhere where cycling isn't as huge of a sport) and get a jersey from a LBS or a thrift store or something like that.

Peace

-Ocho

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it's ok to wear a team Jersey, especially the colorful ones for safety's sake. But I don't feel one should wear a World Champion, US Champion, or State champion jersey unless you've earned them.

I take classes at St. Thomas University, so maybe I could send you one of their tops. They always do well in Division lll athletics.

Jerseys I have:
-Brooklyn (early 70's Belgium team)
-Bianchi Liquigas
-St. Paul Bicycling Racing Club
-Riso Scotti (heavy, long sleeve)

I like St. Paul too, especially the hills for training.:thumbsup:

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Sure I do. My latest purchase:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Bill Bikie said:
But I don't feel one should wear a World Champion, US Champion, or State champion jersey unless you've earned them.
Somebody wants you to wear them because they are sold online.

Myself, I only wear solids.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,265 Posts
I just bought my very first team kit. The 2010 AG2R. The price at PBK was too good to pass up (PBK also seems to be the only outlet that has it.) It hasn't shown up yet. I have no idea if I'll be too embarrassed to wear it.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I have a black Cervelo Test Team Jersey (not the kit); but have not worn it yet. I'd rather wear a simple jesey that just said Cervelo across the chest. I plan on getting a podium hat. Not a huge fan of wearing Team jersey's because they just don't look as good on me and everybody who has a Cervelo has a Test team Jersey, that was standard issue with the bike because you ride so fast as soon as you get on.

I love Sugoi apparell and usualy purchase whatever jersey that is on sale. Probably have 4 Sugoi jersey's all ready; waiting for two sleeveless to be delivered this weekend and a short sleeve marino wool; all of which were on discount.

I would wear a cycling club kit, but I am not in a cycling club. I wear my Tour de Cure jersey during the event and seeking out my school and fraternity kits.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I wear both team jerseys and club jerseys. I like the team jerseys because they are colorful, even bordering on garish. Many of the teams no longer exist (Postal, Discovery, Banesto, Mercatone Uno, Saeco, Gan, Festina, Seguros, Mapei)

I have at least one club jersey for the various clubs I've been a member of, but sometimes when doing club rides I like to wear a jersey from a different club just to be a non-conformist.

I have yet to venture into the world of colorful team shorts. I just do basic black.

·
Bsilver
30 Posts
Team or Club Jerseys who cares..be happy

I have to agree wear what makes you feel good! Who cares what you wear, the people that do are probably the ones who never nod or wave as you pass them. Why are cyclist so stuck up!!! It's all about the ride and the people and places you see...Maybe I am not aware of a secret society or competion...I ride what I can afford and damn proud of it..

bsilver

·
Registered
416 Posts
I wear

liquigas
katusha
euskatel

The bright ones are great. Cars can see you from far away. I have no idea why people hate on team uni's, but i guess everyone has their opinions.:thumbsup:

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,265 Posts
I should say, though, that I've worn team jerseys for many years without a single shred of guilt. I have the style of Mercatone Uno that Pantani wore in his glory years. I have an Indurain Era Banesto. I have a British Mapei Team jersey, kindly given to me by fellow RBR poster Wolfman. I have a Buoygues Telecom jersey. If I like the looks, and if the colors are bright enough to keep me visible on the road. I simply don't care what brands I may be representing on my back, sleeves and chest.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Recreational rider here... I know there are lots of guys on the board here that say you should only where a Pro Jersey if they are your sponsor.. I call BS on that.. I know I am fat and slow but I like my HTC Jersey and my Garmin Jersey... I wear what I want to wear like it or not... I am not fast so I want to look good going slow... lol :D

·
Registered
416 Posts
lacofdfireman said:
Recreational rider here... I know there are lots of guys on the board here that say you should only where a Pro Jersey if they are your sponsor.. I call BS on that.. I know I am fat and slow but I like my HTC Jersey and my Garmin Jersey... I wear what I want to wear like it or not... I am not fast so I want to look good going slow... lol :D

Amen to that. I agree with you.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I'm 53 and just returned to riding 5 weeks ago. Since I had NO stamina and NO power, I was reluctant to wear obvious cycling gear so people would know I was a newbie and not JUST a poor rider, heh. I hid my brand new Sugoi bibs under baggy walking shorts and just wore a long sleeved CoolMax Tshirt.

I've improved weekly, so today I broke out the brand new, very-small-logoed, "Cannondale" 3-pocket jersey and joined the crowd :p .

Oh wait.....I still wore the baggy shorts over the bibs :blush2: At least they give me more pockets.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Here's mine:

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
If I wear the jersey it is always the complete kit.

Whether it is a current or previous team/club or a pro kit I only wear it if I have the matching shorts.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts