Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just heard there's a new round of layoffs going around, but I was assured I still had a job (as did the rest of my team)--for now. No matter how many times I go through this it still freaks me out to think about getting a new job in this economy. I really feel for those out there looking. We just had a big round of layoffs in January. Hope things start picking up soon or I might yet be a WalMart greeter before too long. :cryin:

·
Diphthong
4,986 Posts
Look on the bright side. A layoff would improve your time on the bike.

·
Registered
793 Posts
do u work at a cell phone maker?

don't laugh about the greeter job. there was over 500 people lined up for 1 walmart job here....

on the bright side, I hear you can get a 2.8% mortgage if your unemployed.

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
TWB8s said:
As long as you turn in your TPS reports you'll be safe.
I hear just turning them in isn't enough anymore. You must also have the proper cover sheet too!

G

·
Being jobless would significantly increase my riding time. Unfortunately I would need to exponentially increase my skills to feed my family that way!

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
saddle tramp said:
do u work at a cell phone maker?

don't laugh about the greeter job. there was over 500 people lined up for 1 walmart job here....

on the bright side, I hear you can get a 2.8% mortgage if your unemployed.
I do IT-related work for a telecom--If the Walmart thing doesn't work out I can always go back to mowing lawns, waiting tables and washing dishes. It'll be just like high school. :cryin:

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
Hold fast!

Let's all hope we can keep our homes and don't end up like these peeps...

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Fingers crossed for you.

I've started worrying about my wife's job. I think it's as secure as a job can be, but that doesn't mean **** these days.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DrRoebuck said:
Fingers crossed for you.

I've started worrying about my wife's job. I think it's as secure as a job can be, but that doesn't mean **** these days.
Yup...no such thing as cradle to grave job anymore.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Jeeze, it's bad enough you're living in Ontario, but you're also living in a tent? If I am ever homeless, I'm going to Santa Monica. The weather is nice, and the city feeds you on the steps of city hall. I sure as hell wouldn't stay in Ontario.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
My company is going to have a round of layoffs at the end of this month, and another one at the end of April. My wife will lose her job next March. Oh such fun.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chain said:
My company is going to have a round of layoffs at the end of this month, and another one at the end of April. My wife will lose her job next March. Oh such fun.
Fingers crossed for you. All I know about it this round of layoffs, but there very well could be more down the road if things don't start picking up again.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Fingers crossed for you. All I know about it this round of layoffs, but there very well could be more down the road if things don't start picking up again.
I'm in advertising and everyone is cutting their marketing budgets to the bone right now.

I haven't been this nervous... ever.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Thanks. I think I'm safe because I developed and run the budgeting system (which is required for a $700M company). Nobody else knows how to run it. I also do a lot of report automation. I'm working on a bunch of reports right now. Once I automate them, others will know how to run them, but won't know how to make changes or maintain.

If it wasn't for that I probably would have been gone 7 years ago.

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
buck-50 said:
I'm in advertising and everyone is cutting their marketing budgets to the bone right now.

I haven't been this nervous... ever.
yup...my biz is off 80%.... next 4 months will be telling as typically they are the busiest....typically, though, is a word that I fear fails to apply anymore

1 - 20 of 21 Posts