Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Kestrel....sort of...

The Kestrel Talon is sort of a monocoque frame. The front triangle is a single piece and the seat and wheel stays are another piece. They are bonded together. It has the feel of a monocoque frame and is plenty strong. No worries with Kestrel as they have a lifetime guarantee and have been doing carbon longer than anybody. The Evoke may be monocoque. The older Kestrels were.

Mike

·
Registered
79 Posts
How about the F 4:13?
Maybe ever so slightly sloping, but looks real close to being a traditional top tube.
It is a monocoque high modulus unidirectional 30HM3K carbon frame.

·
Registered
282 Posts
There are not that many, but

• Kuota - some models
  • Pinarello
  • Felt
  • Fuji - may be slightly sloped but you barely tell
  • Orbea - have some slope, but again barely

FYI, any bike that has a one-piece front triangle is considered a monocoque. Kestrels are monos and they are sloping. Specialized makes the only true mono - the S-works Tarmac SL is a full one piece bike. That is why there marketing calls it Az1 (As one). This is also true of their new carbon S-works MTBs.

·
Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
Guru....

WheresWaldo said:
that does not have a sloping top tube geometry. I much prefer the traditional level top tube to the compact frame design, and could use some assistance looking for examples with more traditional frame design.

TIA
Bud

http://www.gurubikes.com/english.html

Check out the Maestro.... They also have other carbon frames... I own a Veloci'ti which I bought BECAUSE of the geometry....

·
Registered
282 Posts
Steve-O said:
http://www.gurubikes.com/english.html

Check out the Maestro.... They also have other carbon frames... I own a Veloci'ti which I bought BECAUSE of the geometry....
I see the Maestro, though I find it interesting that they use such a beefy construction at the TT/seat tube junction where stresses are minimal and it is so lean at the down tube/BB junction where stress is at its maximum.

The Veloci'ti shown appears to be sloping, though of course since its metal, making it a traditional frame is no sweat.

·
Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
Options

critchie said:
I see the Maestro, though I find it interesting that they use such a beefy construction at the TT/seat tube junction where stresses are minimal and it is so lean at the down tube/BB junction where stress is at its maximum.

The Veloci'ti shown appears to be sloping, though of course since its metal, making it a traditional frame is no sweat.
Many of their frames can be ordered as traditional or sloping geometry. Of course this isn't an option on the Maestro because of the high $$$ of molds for monoque construction.

Guru is known more in Tri circles thus they are a little uncommon with the traditional roadie crowd. Also their a Canadian brand thus a little hard to find in the States. They do pop up on eBay every so often and I know there are several web retailers that sell them...

·
Incredibly slow
545 Posts
Well, everyone's favorite spamming online merchant has the carbon Motobecane which appears to be traditional design, and which they claim to be monocoque. This appears to be the same frame as a number of others, with a Motobecane decal.

Just out of curiosity, any reason why you are only interested in monocoque? I know that a lot of people like to put down the non-mono Trek OCLVs, probably because familiarity breeds contempt. But the BMCs arent monocoque either, and no one seems to be knocking them.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
WheresWaldo said:
that does not have a sloping top tube geometry. I much prefer the traditional level top tube to the compact frame design, and could use some assistance looking for examples with more traditional frame design.

TIA
Bud

LOOK. Both the 486 and 386 are (maybe other models, too)

·
Registered
282 Posts
jtolleson said:
LOOK. Both the 486 and 386 are (maybe other models, too)
The 486 is, but it is a tank at 1550grams -- compared to many other arbon models (Scott - 880; Specialized - 895grams; Giant - 860gr; even their own 585 - 990gr). The 386 is no longer made so we can throw that one out.

·
awwww horseapples!!
415 Posts
WheresWaldo said:

TIA
Bud

why do you want a monocoque frame so bad? Just curious....

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
critchie said:
The 486 is, but it is a tank at 1550grams...
So now the rule is monocoque flyweight w/o sloping toptube? Just out of curiosity, have you ever ridden a 486? It's an incredible ride. I hope there's something specific that makes you discount this frame other than weight, cuz if that makes/breaks it for you, then you've been seriously duped.

Back on topic - the LOOK 486 has a completely non-sloping top tube only in the largest sizes - it slopes slightly in the middle sizes.

Like everyone else, I'm also interested why it has to be monocoque - if you don't like the lugged look, there are hidden-lugged frames.

·
Registered
4 Posts
monocoque?

Does it really matter wether the bike is monocoque? Isn't the true definition of monocoque that the structure bears the load on it's skin? Aren't all bikes "monocoque"?

Just curious...

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As technology moves forward with composite materials, there can be a greater synergy between the collection of tubes that make up a bicycle. <-- OK that sounded like a marketing line.

The thing is it is mostly asthetics. I do not like the look of a sloping top tube. I don't really believe there are benefits to the design except to a very few with odd body shapes (very short legs, long torso). It can make for an overly stiff bike. It doesn't save weight where it is of any significant benefit. I just don't like the look, and did I mention that I just don't like the look.

The reason I asked about monocoque is that I am very used to the look of a lugless frame. Not That I started riding with those types of frames, my 1st pike was a short lived Peugeot PX-10, then a Raleigh Gran Prix, till I finally came around to an early eighties Trek 2000, then my current bike a 1989 Klein Quantum Dura-Ace. I love the smooth look of the finished welds, the lugless look. I do not mind hidden lugs, but in this age of carbon, they are not easy to differentiate for most people, so I asked for monocoque frame design. I may someday accept a sloping tube design but right now I knew there were choices I just didn't know what they were.

·
Registered
282 Posts
scoresman927 said:
Does it really matter wether the bike is monocoque? Isn't the true definition of monocoque that the structure bears the load on it's skin? Aren't all bikes "monocoque"?

Just curious...
The dictionary says metal too, but in the context of this discussion mono means that at least the main triangle is one piece.

·
Registered
282 Posts
BugMan said:
So now the rule is monocoque flyweight w/o sloping toptube? Just out of curiosity, have you ever ridden a 486? It's an incredible ride. I hope there's something specific that makes you discount this frame other than weight, cuz if that makes/breaks it for you, then you've been seriously duped.

Back on topic - the LOOK 486 has a completely non-sloping top tube only in the largest sizes - it slopes slightly in the middle sizes.

Like everyone else, I'm also interested why it has to be monocoque - if you don't like the lugged look, there are hidden-lugged frames.
Yes, have you ever ridden an S-works Roubaix or Tarmac SL, an Orca, a Cervelo, etc? They all have incredible rides and they all weigh at least 1lb less than the 486. If I can have the ride and lose the pound, why wouldn't I?

I assume the "why does it have to be a monocoque" was not aimed at me because I'm not the one who asked for a monocoque. However, I would only ride the monocoque as well, but that is a completely different discussion and I am not the focus of this.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here is what I am learning so far, the KUOTA KSANO, the SCATTANTE CFR and the EXO 303 seem to be the same frame made by Martec. I have no problem with that. LOOK frames are more than I wanted to spend, but do have the requisite styling. All of IBIS' designs in carbon feature a sloping top tube. I am going to research Guru, Felt and Orbea, but from past looking at Orbea I don't remember seeing a frame without a sloping top tube.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts