Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let them inject themselves with EPO, Red Bull, and elephant stem cells for all I care. Most of the people in this forum could care less about the "sport" they just want some blood! Someone must pay, lets get Bibles and ropes!

I could care less, just give me some spectacle ala Virenque or Pantani, or Floyd in Stage 17! Allez Allez Allez!!

Am I the only one?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
It is an interesting arguement. We (as spectators) want to see these awesome performances while ideally want it to be a "fair game".

If they just let the pro's have at it, then it can set a bad example for the amatures coming up who don't have the Dr.'s and support staff to get it right. Doping is easy, but doing it so that it is "safe" is not.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
JohnHemlock said:
Most of the people in this forum could care less about the "sport" they just want some blood!
If you actually cared about the "sport" and not your own temporary entertainment you'd probably be of a different mindset as it relates to doping but a chacun ses gouts.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
If health is the concern it should be legal and medically supervised. The current regime just pushes them to go further into the medical fringes in an effort to avoid detection. Make everything subject to a limit like HCT used to be and forget the rest. In many ways the physiologic changes in a grand tour are the unhealthy parts and the dope restores homeostasis (rather like the arguments Fuentes used to avoid the malpractice case in Spain).

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
Isn't that like going to the "Politics Only" forum and stating you aren't interested in politics?

:confused:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Up to a point I think you're right. I would say you more have to understand the different eras of the sport and what was required to compete in the GC at that period of time.

I think if they ever found a way to 100% prove no doping was in the sport, the vast majority of people that are outraged about it would not follow the sport anymore. They just love the scandal.

·
Team Tom's
1,900 Posts
The assumption with this thread is that it takes drugs to make for an entertaining race.

I think the entertainment value would be the same... Just slower times in the long run (but still supernatural performances to us mere mortals).

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I'm a fan of Pro Cycling.
I'm not a fan of doping.
I have an intellectual interest in doping.
I don't care if the cyclists dope.
I don't like it when cyclists lie about doping.
I don't like it when cycling organizations 'protect' some riders but ostracize others.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
JohnHemlock said:
Hmm, I like that angle. Sort of like I don't care who is ****ing who in Hollywood but it's fun to read about in the checkout aisle.
Not in that sense, in the sense as AJL said, I have an intellectual curiosity. How much does it matter, can a better medical program make a huge difference, etc.

I also find it insulting when these guys lie thru their teeth, to use Ulrich's phrase, it's as if they don't think I can put 2 and 2 together. Furthermore, the fact that guys like Armstrong can dupe the naive rubs me the wrong way, just like I find psychics and televangelists objectionable.

I've been following cycling right thru the effective doping era, and it simply isn't believable to me that Armstong and co. did what they did at that time without doping. Plus the mountain of circumstantial evidence around him/them is huge. I'd like to know the truth.

·
Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
My answers in bold

I'm a fan of Pro Cycling. I so totally agree
I'm not a fan of doping. I agree
I have an intellectual interest in doping.I agree
I don't care if the cyclists dope.I somewhat agree but I really wish they didn't
I don't like it when cyclists lie about doping. Especially when faced with evidence, think Floyd, Tyler, Jan etc...
I don't like it when cycling organizations 'protect' some riders but ostracize others.This is what bugs me the most. I always think back to those East German women or the so called amateur soviet national hockey team

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MaddSkillz said:
The assumption with this thread is that it takes drugs to make for an entertaining race.

I think the entertainment value would be the same... Just slower times in the long run (but still supernatural performances to us mere mortals).
Actually, that wasn't my assumption. Entertaining racing is what makes an entertaining race. My point is Just that I don't object to doping on any grounds. Does injecting yourself with 50ccs of post-concert Eddie Van Halen sweat help you recover? I have no idea but if you want to try it and find out, be my guest. And if your soigneur gets caught coming out of Van Halen's dressing room with syringes and soiled towels we shouldn't have to hear about it for 10 years!

Obviously, most people DO care, which is why the Doping Forum gets more play than the actual Racing Forum. I was just curious if anyone else could give a crap.

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
I care about it from a couple of standpoints.

1.) To me, cycling in and of itself is the most beautiful sport in the world. "Pro Cycling" should embody this.

2.) "Legalized doping" in whatever from it might take on, would never be "enough". There will always be someone concocting bigger and badder to gain an edge on the competition and thus the cycle would continue regardless.

3.) It's not real. It's a lie. If I want to live vicariously through momentary, made-up fantasy-land I can go to the movie theater.

4.) Doping is what in all probability eventually took the life of my best friend and racing buddy. So yeah, I care.

Glad I shook my head "no" when she offered me those little pills that day so long ago...

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Personally...

For me, professional cycling is entertainment and I enjoy watching "Super Human" performances. I could give a rip whether they are doping or not.

If I want to see great racing, I'll go watch the pro's at some of the local events....or heck, even the local events themselves since there is good racing going on at the amateur levels. Many of the stage races around here in the P/1/2 class has great racing as well.

But those guys don't hold a candle to the top level pro's...of which I have little doubt that there is system wide doping going on....which leads to "Super Human" performances.

Pick a sport where a good amount of money is involved and you will find high levels of doping...however they are smart enough to not try and kill their sport through anti-doping measures. They catch a few fringe guys and say...Look, we are doing something about it and we are clean.

I love college football as well...but know many of those guys are doped to the gills...and at the pro level...well, lets just say it's every bit as bad if not worse than cycling. However, those guys are all starting to drop dead at early ages due to the physical pounding their body takes, not just the doping that's going on. Many of them, even if they don't dope are physically disabled for their entire lives after leaving the pro ranks.

I say let them dope...make sure it's doctor supervised and let us all be entertained.

For those complaining about the kids, and how it would make them dope if they wanted to be competitive.....Well, if you want to be a pro cyclist or pro athlete, that's the price you pay to be at the top level. If you don't want to do it there is plenty of other jobs out there for them to do that pay quite well...many times more than they ever would make on a bike, even with doping.

·
Registered
45 Posts
blackhat said:
You and the OP have a rather limited regard for fans of pro cycling.
I don't think most fans are that bothered about it to be honest. They are not the people I am talking about. I think it's the most angry and outraged people about doping that would not follow the sport anymore if it was 100% stamped out.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I don't care if they dope as long as they don't rat each other out! And yes, the doping forum is like US magazine or National Enquirer in the super market check out aisle.
Fun to read but I take it all with a grain of salt.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.